Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
JJLouis
Level 6

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I understand what Thumbtack did when they switched to the new pricing from the old credit based system. I think it works better for the most part, especially now that you can see how much it costs before you send the quote (click on the 'learn more' tab). For the people complaining that quotes used to much cheaper, maybe recall all the times we sent quotes at $3.33 a pop and no one got any responses, yet we were all billed. Thumbtack switched to only charging us IF a customer responds, of course they had to start charging us more per quote because they would have lost money otherwise. Not only that, but they now don't charge us if the response is a quick, "No, thank you". That's huge, and goes a long way to showing us that they actually care about our small businesses.

All of that said, some of the prices for certain jobs are just outrageous. I work as a handyman/general contractor. I can kinda sorta understand charging $75 for a Bathroom Remodel lead - if I land that job it could potentially lead to thousands of dollars in income for me.  The only problem I have with that is if that customer contacts all ten contractors, Thumbtack just made $750 off that one lead, and there's no guarantee that any of those contractors will be hired.  The bigger problem for me is charging $27 for something like TV Mounting. That job pays about $150 total. If I'm lucky and land that job, Thumbtack just dropped my rate down to almost $120, making those jobs not worth my time.

I understand why Thumbtack keeps changing things every few months. They're trying to accomodate and appease as many contractors as possible. I'm not sure there is an easy, one size fits all fix to the pricing issues we all face on here, but I applaud Thumbtack for realizing that the contractors on this site are their customers, and doing what they can do work with us. 

I don't believe that charging customers to request quotes is the right thing to do. It would just discourage people from requesting quotes, and destroy this service. Maybe only charging conractors after they've been marked as hired would be a better option? But then a lot customers who've hired me never marked me as hired... Perhaps the best bet would be to reevaluate their pricing methods for each quote, and look at them more as a percentage of the potential income from that particular job?

mmyang99
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Why don't you set a small fee for each lead who replies and then if hired, another fee. We wouldn't mind paying a higer fee if we get hired ... but it's ridiculously high at $40-50 each wedding photography reply, and some people are just quote shopping and messaging everyone. Pricing should be made available, so we know what our cost would be vs being shocked after someone's replies. It's getting quite expensive using Thumbtack.
TravisMiller
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I actually love the system you have.  We have used other competitors such as HomeAdvisor. But, because of many reasons, we have chosen to discontinue those other competitors and use your service as our primary lead generator (outside of our own initiatives).  

I am using you as our primary service of choice for the following reasons:

-Your current rates are favorable and I enjoy being able to pay for leads that are more advantageous.  

-The ability to pass or talk to leads as they come up allow me a little more power in choosing to follow the leads I want.

-The platform is simple, easy to navigate, and the communication between prospective clients is easy.  

I really like the service, as is.  Enough to cancel other service providers and stick exclusively with yours.  

Travis Miller
Prestige Cleaning LLC

SillyCar
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi Travis,

Wow! You're the first positive response I've seen on here. And I've looked personally at hundreds of the replies on this thread (all negative). I was wondering if you'd mind telling me how long you've been using Thumbtack and if you're using/happy with the Instant Match feature or not.

Just curious because your profile on Thumbtack says you've only been in business one year and that you've only had one hire on Thumbtack, so I'm wondering how much of the Thumbtack system you are actually aware of.... Also, neither of your two reviews on Thumbtack are from verified hires.... You should definitely try to get your one hire to leave you a verified review! If you really have only been in business one year and you've tried other competitors like HomeAdvisor first, I'm guessing you're pretty new to Thumbtack.

I'd be curious to know how many quotes it took you to get the one hire you have if you don't mind saying. I hope you don't think me rude, I am just curious what would inspire you to write such a positive review with those statistics on your profile.... and amid so many negative reviews that are almost unanimously in sync and still coming in about 5 or more each minute.

If there's something I'm missing on Thumbtack in the four years that I've been using it, I'd love to be able to make it work.... Admittedly, I've only been hired through Thumbtack 5 times in 4 years myself, but I'm super cautious about which jobs I bid on (I've only bid on 47 jobs in 4 years) because so many seem bogus and I don't have a lot of money to spend on nothing. As it is, at least 30 of the jobs I've bid on have yielded zero contact from the quotee, even after repeated follow ups by me just asking them to please let me know that they exist and are a real person so I know that Thumbtack didn't make up a bogus request.... what kind of real person wouldn't respond to that? So the way I see it, I've gotten 5 jobs out of about 17 legit requests from people which to me is fine, but I can't afford to pay for instant match for sure...

Anyway, maybe those other services are really, really horrible and that's why you think Thumbtack is a great service, I'm not sure, I've never tried any others, but I am curious. Do you mind listing some of the reasons you discontinued the other services?

I would love to hear your response.

Thanks for your time!

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 12.30.53 PM.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tym
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I have noticed that the consumer's are looking to pay the lowest price possible. What's happening is that they are contacting many photos provider looking for the best price, ex; 2 or 3 and when we answer and they decide to go with the lowest bid and we are charge for that contact. Thumbtack is charging me $22.00 to $33.00 dollars when the consumer is contacted in regardless if I book the event or not. I also noticed the providers are underselling their product and over booking clients that they know they can not service. I have personally spoken and booked a client from thumbtact who informed me of unfair practices as I mentioned. My overhead, such as photo paper, ink, props, gas and other fees to operate my business are costly. I spoke with an customer service rep sometime ago and made a great suggest that can help all and I never got the attention back from the company. FYI: they agreed that my proposal was good. 

Zsofica
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with you, although I personally don’t have any issues but my husband does. We both are music teachers. I din’t use Instant Match because I hate it and I can acquire plenty voice students without IM, but my market is not so fast as my husband’s is, who teaches guitar. Therefore, he is kinda ”forced” to use Instant Match because everyone else uses it.

We both have Masters in Music and have been teaching for more than 25 years but our experience is that the quality of guitar teachers on Thumbrack is questionable... I am telling that simply because of their price!!! A music teacher who is also a professional performer knows the value of his teaching but these kids with their 3-chords knowledge and cheap prices makes almost impossible to acquire new students.

0 Kudos
Liberty1776
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I am honestly thinking of dropping Thumbtack because I never really know what the cost is going to be for a contract. It is troubling to me.

JJLouis
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

You can see how much each quote is before you quote it by hitting the 'learn more' tab.

0 Kudos
js1
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Not knowing what my quote will cost is what bothers me the most.  What's the big secret.  Just let us know how much it will be.  We don't buy things at any other website or even grocery store without knowing the price.  At thumbtack, we don't know the price until AFTER we bought it.

Also, I am in Napa Ca.  Please consider territory specific bidding for 24 hours, then open it up to surrounding areas.  16 pros bidding on a project is too overwhelming for the customer and, I am located in a small community and getting outbid by San Francisco DJ's.  I use to get alot of jobs through Thumbtack but there's too much competition.  Territory quoting may be a good solution.

0 Kudos
JJLouis
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

You can see how much each quote will cost you before you quote it by hitting the 'learn more' tab

0 Kudos