Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Jake1291
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
I stopped using Thumbtack when I kept getting charged for clients when I never heard back from clients. I would begin using Thumbtack again if it was more like an agency where if we make money you make money. So many clients copy and paste the same message to multiple pros and so we're being charged not upon our customer service but our prices and it becomes a competition of who can be the cheapest. I've called and talked to the team a few times and would be glad to use thumbtack if the money was being made simultaneously. Job platforms such as Upwork use this technique to make money and help their pros make money as well which is why many people are switching to Upwork
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi!
My issue isn’t really the inconsistency in pricing because if a client is truly interested I can easily pad the fee of the quote into their package. My biggest issue is the timing of getting charged. I get messages all the time from clients, but most of them are not interested! Anytime I bring that to your attention you guys tell me they are and it’s your job to win. I think we should be charged once we have 2 or 3 messages or even when we get hired because getting charged when they ask, “do you have references?” Or “thanks for reaching out I need more time to look through everything” doesn’t mean they want to hire me. The best is why I get asked when is your next availability and never hear back from them. You have a good product, but if you want pros to keep using thumbtack you need to make it worth our time! You need to charge us once the client is very interested not when it’s lukewarm because those are the days I hate using thumbtack. Those are the days when I wish it worked better for my industry!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LisaShort
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

The new pricing overhaul is not beneficial for my business.

I am a Reiki Master and offer Reiki sessions. I was paying per hire, and now, although I may only have one bid per week, I still pay a very large price increase per job.

Originally, I paid via credits and then it went to dollars, which was fine. It was about 3.60 per job. Now, I am paying about 13.60 per job IF I only bid on one job per week!! It is more than that for more bids. Huge increase!  For me, The bid cost percentage went up on average per one job 1000%!!!!!!!

Did you consider that depending upon where you are located that the new fee structure will eat into more profit for some than in other locations? (Midwest vs East or West Coast for example)

The other issue, is, that my category (Reiki) no longer exists by itself. Instead, I am grouped under the heading of Alternative Healing. There are several other services under that heading. They are not related to what I do!

When a person is looking for Alternative Healing and does not designate which kind (Reiki or Accupuncture or Craniosacral etc) I do not bid because of the huge price increase for me to make contact and I do not know what potential customers are really looking to do! Maybe they want accupuncture so I wasted my money and time finding that out.

In fact, I bid very rarely now, because your overall design of Thumbtack changed. Very disappointed in a formerly outstanding way to connect with potential customers.

I am a Top Pro (have been for a couple of years) and now, with the changes, I will not have used Thumbtack enough to acheive that status for the second half of this year. Sad. Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback. 

anthonybly
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have been with Thumbtack since 2015, before it went National with TV commercials and Thumbtack helped me get my business off the ground. For this, I am a very loyal customer and I have been inquiring about the entire pricing guidelines since the inception of higher pricing for leads. The explanation has always been that Thumbtack will evaluate the leads and for leads that are strong, we would pay more and for the weak leads, we would pay less or not at all. Much like everyone else, I get more inquiries than paying customers and the ones that I do get charged for don't always end up buying. I'm a dog trainer and in order to run an ethical business, I only charge the client for the training that they need and not try to upsell them to my most costly training program. That means the least amount they would pay is $75 a session or they could buy one of my more expensive programs which could be as much as $625. Remember though out of those prices I also have other costs such as equipment and the additional expenses I have to take into consideration. I don't know what the right answer is yet but there are many of us very unhappy with the Thumbtack pricing and I'm glad you have recognized this. In my industry, Professional Dog Training, I think that if a client marks us as hired, then only then should we get charged. Make it so that they have to choose if they hired us or not in order to keep the honest honest. Just because a person responds to me doesn't mean they are going to hire me nor does it mean if I respond to them and they don't hire me that I screwed the pooch on the deal. I have responded so many times and in so many different ways, you just don't know what people are going to do. Obviously they have budgets and are looking for the best service for the best price. I have kept my pricing at that competative level for this reason but if I keep getting nickled and dimed in other areas, I will have no choice but to bring up my prices which really creates a non competative market.  

0 Kudos
MLD_303
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Honestly, I'm going to turn off my notifications about quote requests and just use Thumbtack as a basic place to feature a profile.
I teach voice and piano lessons. I tried the Match service two times with no success. The service doesn't match me with the right prospects. I often encountered requests from students in my zip code or nearby zip codes that never were matched with me. Instead, I got matched with students who were 5-10 miles away from me - prospects that would most likely never contact me because of the distance. The boilerplate quotes I am forced to generate do not allow me to respond accurately to prospective students about what I can offer regarding their needs with music lessons. Music lessons are highly individualized and subjective. The Match system does not work for my business.
I greatly preferred the way Thumbtack did quotes several years ago. I liked paying a per quote fee. It was straightforward, allowed for greater customization of quotes, and much more effective communication about what I offer. It also allowed me to pick the requests with the highest chance of response based on location, lesson pricing needs, and musical interests of the student.
When Match was instituted, I had a noticable drop in the number of prospects I quoted and cannot remember the last time I actually had a new piano student through Thumbtack. I am unable to return to the old way of quoting, and consider my piano quoting to be effectively unusable at this point.
I refuse to switch my voice lesson service over to Match in order to try to preserve some effectiveness with Thumbtack, but I no longer recommend Thumbtack to anyone - students or professionals, and now focus on using a different site which I now recommend to anyone serking a music instructor.
Thumbtack is no longer effective for me in generating new students and it has had a large negative impact on my business.
If it isn't broke, don't fix it - my golden rule. I wish Thumbtack hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel. This is no longer a good service.
0 Kudos
Lennie
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I think the pricing is expensive. Too many people contact providers and ask stupid questions with no intention of hiring. I think that any fee we pay for someone who asks a question and doesn’t hire ANYONE on the site should definitely be refunded. I also think that there should be a SMALL fee for when someone responds and a larger fee if they actually hire the person — but paying $10-20 for someone to ask a question and not follow through is outrageous and takes too much money out of the providers pocket. I think
What would be more fair is if the clients paid a fee when they asked a question. The burden should not just be on the provider of service
0 Kudos
Dprodonline
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

The pricing is all over the place and really not worth what I am getting.  It's stupid to charge for a lead after the 1st or 2nd communication.  Once the job is awarded then we should be charged.  If we're going back and forth over project specifics and find out that this isn't going to work then you have to create another job and start all over again. 

Not to mention that 95% of the jobs I receive to bid on, I can't because either a) the job has been filled or terminated or b) the job has already reached the maximum amount of bids.  So really, unless I am staring at my computer or smartphone, I can't respond quickly enough to make this worth it.  Afterall, I do have clients that need my attention and work to be done.

In addition, all of the jobs I am asked to quote on are either personal projects or jobs below what I can actually do the work for.  So, as one person put it, you're a step above craigs list.

On top of that I have to pay $17 to $50 per lead. Way, way out of whack.  With other sites I pay for credits as an example.  That works a lot better because you pay for the credits, lets say $50 for 50 cresits, and each job is worth so many credits to respond to.  Another site I am on the jobs are listed as free, 1-credit or 3-credits depending on the complexity of the project. Something to think about.

For me, I am considering leaving because I see no benefit and the clientele I am going after really isn't on this site.

0 Kudos
MR1143
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

$40.69 for a carpet job!    Totally outragus.   Use to pay $8-10 per lead, so it was possible to bid on more than 1 or 2 jobs and would actually get some and the ROI use to be really good.   But there is no way that I am going to pay over $40 dollars to do a $150 job - that is over 25% - REALLY - that put me in the red and yes like you I would like to make a profit!   My employees like to get a paycheck to - heck even I like to get paid...go figure.    You are loosing more & more of my business.   You are pricing yourself out of more work from me.    

0 Kudos
LV-365
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Improving the quality of the customers who make contact with a pro is a problem that needs to be solved.

The problem I see is that customers get a ton of quotes and then reply to everyone (costing all pros money & time) and they may not be truly interested or have a real intent to interview all of them... they are just send a blanket reply-to-all. I've even gotten replies that then I had to ask for a refund because the customer was just replying out of sarcasm. I don't like getting replies that are clear the customer has no intent of conducting a real interview. I don't mind being charged, having a sincere back & forth and ultimately not getting the job. That's fine -- it's still a legitimate lead and if it didn't pan out, that's still worth the cost of the lead. But I don't like getting charged for "leads" that really aren't from customers genuinely looking to hire. 

One solution is for customers to be charged when they make contact with a pro -- even a small amount (a few bucks) will deter replies that aren't genuine in nature. They can still see free bids/quotes if they are just doing some initial price research that's fine. But if they are required to pay something to make contact, they will be more discerning about choosing which professionals to follow-up with and hopefully that will yield better results for everyone.

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
I'm definitely here to try to win the $250 because my questions and comments have fallen on deaf ears for months. The inability to provide a template for Instant Match leads to customers contacting us when it is a bad fit, that they could have seen from a personalized quote. And the "automated response" buttons that customers can press makes it too easy to get charged for customer contacts from customers that are not REALLY interested.
0 Kudos