Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

Why cant it go back to credits but we only get charged credits when they respond or book. That would be the ideal way to charge Pros because most people are fishing for pricing not necessarily quality. I checked my payment history and I noticed that we were being charged WAAYYYY more now for a MESSAGE and the people just say let me get back to that and never hire anyone. You guys are making like 15 dollars per reponse from like 11 Pros if the potential customer replies to all of them. That is ridiculous.

SteveInSD
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with the most commenters that prices are now too high, particularly for unqualified leads (description field blank) when the vast majority are just price shopping.  We will never be the low bid, and the cost is too high to get our foot in the door not knowing anything about the job.  It's too bad because the costs used to be reasonable.  Also, not showing the price clearly upfront is a big problem.

Steve

Lisapuggirl
Level 3

Solved! Jump to solution

I have stopped using Thumbtack since I was charged $12 for a quote; I did not even get hired. The woman said she had a lot going on right now and would get back to me in the future. I am a yoga and meditation teacher. I teach most days at yoga studios or the YMCA. I used to supplement these jobs with private lessons usually obtained thru Thumbtack or Lessons. Most people respond to about $40/hr lesson; if they don’t have space in their home, I have to rent space in a studio. The studio usually gets 1/3 of the fee. I would say I get hired thru Thumbtack about 1/3 of the time when I give quotes. Of those customers, only a few are repeat clients. Hopefully you can see that with gas and my time considered, the rate of anything over a couple bucks for a quote makes it a loss for me. I’m glad you are taking into account how many pros are in a given area. However, I have never been offered a free quote and yet I will get reminders from Thumbtack about a certain job and it will say 0 pros have given quotes. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Tr1313
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Just charge a fee when the pro is hired. Everyone would be happy with that. Also, make it a percentage of the job. I think most are happy paying around 8% referral fee.
Christinac
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
All of my jobs are basically worth the same to me but I think I get charged based on how big their house is. (I’m a prof organizer). They may only need one room or one room could take a day or weeks. I would much rather pay a set fee or i think the customer should pay a nominal fee to reach out. None of the customers who’ve hired me knew that we get charged each time they reach out. So I’ve been using thumbtack since April and have been hired maybe 8 times. But I pay weekly for people who reach out and then just never respond.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution
The one thing I dislike about the pricing is that just because someone contacts you, you could get charged a large amount on your budget and it’s no guarantee that they will hire you. I think the pricing should apply ONLY when a customer hires you AND books you. Why waste money on customers who are just browsing or who don’t pay attention to your bio and what you offer and end up spending money on people who in the end won’t book with you. I want my money to go towards people who will actually book with me. Not 15 people who keep asking me the same questions that I clearly state in my bio, and the intro message I send them and I end up spending 6-10 dollars on each one. This website has become a scam and there isn’t enough filters to weed out the customers who are truly interested in you and those just wasting time. It’s frustrating.
xmanaged
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

My biggest issue is with not knowing what a job is going to cost me before I send out a bid. If I knew it was going to cost me $50 to potentially get the job then I might either pass on it OR what's more likely is to make sure that I adjust my bid to better cover that cost. I've bid jobs out lower than I normally would on the platform to get the job and then get surprised with a large thumbtack debit and feel like I short changed my bid. 

Being that I have no idea what the Thumbtack Fee is going to be before I send out a bid really deters me from sending out more bids.

0 Kudos
Jasonmf55
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
My biggest pet peeves with pro assist are these two things:
1. Client quick reply
2. Fluctuating pricing that has drastically increased over the years. (Just go back to a flat, fair rate like how it was a year or so ago.)

I think this all had good intent but was poorly executed or was deliberately placed as a money pull. No pro should ever be charged for a quick reply, no matter what in my opinion. The biggest reason on why I stopped using thumbtack avidly is due to this.. I'd get 3-7 generic quick replies weekly with no actual organic responses, and YET was charged $12-20 for a customer (used to be ~70% cheaper!) to ask me a generic question of "What's the process?" or "great! What's next?". Doesn't feel fair or reasonable to me to be charged a substantial amount (now) for someone to send a pre-written message with no true personal interaction or thought process involved.

Want to fix this? My idea is let customers send "quick replies" to us a general question (That which are answered in my bio already may I add!) to answer and not charge for it. From there they should only be able to reply organically, THEN charge me for a human response. (An REASONABLE amount again.)

I used to absolutely love Thumbtack.. Even at one point ~40-50% of my client roster was from you guys, but nowadays I've gone with other sites due to these constant changes and feelings of it being just money grab techniques or shady.

Who knows how many of those quick replies were actually people and not a bot created to send 10 pros a quick reply for $200 profit?

Hope this helps in some way as I'd like to feel comfortable using you guys again.
lasky2
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I like it better when we were buying the points it was easier and more simple you can buy much as you want or as little as you want.

0 Kudos
karinag
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I think if a customer asks a question, you give an answer--you never hear from them again.  Yet, you're charged.  I think they should "hire" the professional in order to be charged the price.  Asking a question does not mean you get hired.  I find this very frustrating as some people are looking for a discount or most "free" images.  I am in the business of selling images.  Make it fair for the professional, not unfair in this competitive of a market.  Thank you.