Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
TheRod
Level 2

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

1) Whether it is credits or cash - the issue is VALUE - Value for us the Pros, and Value for those seeking us. 

2) Having a prospect reach out to you to ask questions or validate or clarify who you are or may be relative to their need, should NOT be an event that has a COST.

3) The Cost should arise once we are hired - and that must happen through TT.  If TT simply wants to be an Intro service - let me out! and I think most other's on here are saying the same. 

4) So, TT - get you act together and make this a transactional (Agree to Hire) platform, and NOT an Intro platform - otherwise it's worthless.

5) For the service requests I see - there's not enough critical info for us to really see what it is they wish for me to Quote/Bid on. The guts of the Request is very much missing.

JustBobF
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Well, things are much better now than they were a few months ago when Thumbtack charged a huge fee just to goute on a job.

It is also better now then when thumbtack cherged an astronomical fee many months back when someone replied to our quotes (like maybe $75 or over $100!)

Now, I have been charged when someone replies, about the same as it used to cost to cost to send a quote; about $15 or $18. That's sort of okay. I think Thumbtack is putting more quotes through to customers these days. I haven't sent quotes for many jobs; but, I did receive two replies back in the past couple of months or so. They didn't result to any jobs, though. One lady was going to hire me, but she hadn't consulted with her daughter and was overruled.

Given that so few jobs actually come through, even when only charging for replies, the lower the fee the better.

0 Kudos
JamieRand
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I thought we only got charged when customers replied or read our bids, but that seems to change and now we get charged for every bid sent. And the prices keep changing. Going through my books several times I have had to check if there was an over charge cause the costs were surprisingly high. This is really eating into my income and actually deterring me from bidding on jobs where I won't make enough to offset the costs. 

We already have customers wanting us to work for fractions of what we charge and spending so much on bids is having me question if it makes sense to even continue with services like this. The constant changes are confusing. Flat rate the bids, simplify the system and make it user friendly. 

0 Kudos
AKD
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

The pricing is rididulous. I'm charged $23 every time someone sends me a single message. I'm a family therapist. People are ambivilent about whether they even want help. How many people do YOU know who need help but will never admit it? Guess what? Even when they admit it and actually seek help, they're still not so sure. It's not as if their toilet is broken and they must fix it or poop and pee outside. And then there are all the depressed people who are mired in immobilizing mind muck. They can't think, don't want to move, can't get out of bed. But I have to pay $23 because they ask one question and then crawl back under the covers. 

I can't go in with a hard sell. No one needs that from a therapist. I can't guarantee anything at all. There are no promises in this field. I can't show them the beautiful mind I must fixed or prove that the suicidal guy just got a degree and a job. I can get good ratings, sure. But therapy takes time. I had one woman come in for one session, leave me a 4 star rating and never come back.  I didn't ask her to rate me but she was quick to spread her unhappiness to me. **bleep**. 

So, here I am, trying to start my private practive,  my bank account scraping bottom, not sure if I can meet my bills and Thumbtack will take every dime I have if a couple of confused, lost souls reach out to me with just one question each. So, do I send quotes or not? 

Checaskey
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I've used thumbtack since at least 2014 and while I've found some great clients, I've been running into tons of issues lately. 

As far as pricing, I agree with someone else- I wish the costs were set and not fluctuating. I recently did a job for 75 and paid 15 in charges to thumbtack. Another time in the last month a scammer contacted me through thumbtack and though I did get "refunded" the money was credited to me on thumbtack instead of back to my bank account.

I've had numberous technical issues where the site will freeze up. Clients have also reported issues to me when leaving reviews. I recently got a 4-star review instead of a 5-star review becuase the client had a technical issue and now cannot edit the review. I can't afford to keep up with your pricing Thumbtack. Technical issues have not improved over the last four years and my costs have only gotten higher. I don't want to leave,but I'm tempted to- especially after the review issue. This hurts my presentation to clients and is like a smack in the face to me.

0 Kudos
Zac
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Like most people, I loved the original format of Thumback.  Only 5 pros quoting at a time, reasonable costs per quote of $3-5, knowing what the quotes would cost upfront etc. Automatic quoting is super confusing, and knowing that 15 people have quoted a job makes us not even want to bother on future quotes. We can't risk "auto quoting" and hoping our weekly budget is used wisely by Thumbtack. It's just too risky. We WERE quoting jobs 5-10x per week. We now only quote about 1-2x per month.  I can't imagine this is good for Thumbtack. It is certainly not good for us.  The original Thumbtack helped us grow our business and we were thankful for it. Honestly it feels like all of the changes have been an effort to generate more income for Thumbtack.  That may not be true, but that's how it feels.    Once things became so confusing we went back to more traditional ways of marketing.  I am sure there are parts of this that are inacccurate, which demonstrates our confusion. We really tried to understand auto quoting etc. but just gave up.  I do really appreciate the effort by Thumbtack to get this corrected and create a pricing system we can all live with.  Thanks!

Highlighted
jprc2017
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

We would like to know up frount what each lead will cost us!  We never know. 

My office person is who monitors thumbtac and takes care of it.  I have a budget I need to stay with in and it is hard without knowing what things cost up fround. 

It is also hard to get a credit if a lead goes not where.  I know we do not pay un less they respond but there are time we hear back from them and they have a question or something and never hear again.  We do follow up with leads but that only goes so far.  

We have paid for deadend leads.   It is not easy to get a credit.   It would be awesome if there was an button or some easy way to get credit for bad leads.  

As a small businiss I need the big bang for my buck.  I have gotten good leads from you folks but there are lots that have gone no where to.  

0 Kudos
VA
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I get charged even though the client just looked at my quote and had a few questions.   Many of them do not hire me until I know that we are both the right fit for each other and it takes more than one meeting to know if we are a match. I think Thumbtack sets the price too high for the leads that I am getting and out of 25 leads I get 1 person who hires me.  I don't think I should pay $20 to $50 each lead to get to one client.  

Solved! Jump to solution

We used Thumbtack under a different name a few years back. This was for our sister company JPE Entertainment Services, for our lower end customers.  We did really well the first two years when you only allowed 5 pros to bid a job and you charged per lead.  Thumbtack however has become a huge disappointment to us in 2018 as we have had maybe a handful of jobs from the bargain basement customers visiting your site.  We have been charges for a number of customers who, as we understand have been sent a pre-scripted template email stating "Ask your pro a question".  Giving the customer four pre-scripted questions ie: "are you available on my date".  Customer clicks one of four and Thumbtack calls this a confirmed lead and charges us $15 to $30.  These are NOT true leads, they are Thumbtacks sad tactics to generate revenue and milk the pro.  We are definitely available on the customers date otherwise we would not have bid the job, so what kind of question is this?  I see Thumbtack as a sinking ship and if I can make it on Oct 26th to see Marcos in lower Manhattan I will certainly try.  I do not mind paying advertising costs for good leads.  We are on theknot.com and pay them for true leads.  I don't see us continuing with Thumbtack at this rate.

modza
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm barely glancing at the ever-fewer requests that come through, because the fees have gone up dramatically, while the responsiveness of the requesters has gone down.  The details of the requests have always been too sparse for a realistic quote, but I was willing to make the effort to respond for a couple of years, but now, it's not worth the time it takes.

I believe you've not kept up with the ever-changing marketplace, and need to rethink your business model.  Or at least your marketing, to both sides of the transaction.