Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
JuliaDiane
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I am an event planner/decorator and I would like to use Thumbtack more than I do.  In my business, many people are just searching for pricing for different products and services.  They don't realize that it could cost me $25 if they answer my quote.  Many times their wedding or event isn't for a year and they aren't ready to commit to my services at the time of the inquiry.  They are just looking around.  

I put in a quote last week for some wedding decorating and candy display.  The woman responded to me so I was charged $14.  I have spoken to her twice since then, but she is so confused and busy and doesn't know what she wants.  Her wedding isnt until next May.

Many of the inquiries I get are for very small jobs as well.  It's not worth me spending $15 to potentially get a $350 job.  If I have to answer 10 inquiries and spend between $150 and $300 to get a job, it's not worth it.  I would rather put that money towards SEO marketing.

I liked Thumbtack much more when you purchased credits and it cost $6 to bid on a job.  I think Thumbtack wanting to grow, grow, grow is overlooking the actual services that you are trying to provide.  

There is a pricing category on the event planning site of under $250.  That shouldn't even be a category.  If someone is looking for something so cheap, they are just fishing for ideas.  All of these event planning and decorating services do not come cheap.  It would alleviate many of these very low cost requests.

jonjmax
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I started using Thumbtack earlier this year to supplement my open availabilities during the wedding season. I am a professional photographer based in a small town in Wisconsin and I have had to travel quite a bit because there is not much going on in my area. From the start, I thought the pricing was outrageous but figured I would give it a go and got the intro discounts but thought I would probably not be able to use it all that much after discounts ended because it is just too expensive for jobs that do not pan out. I have been hired 5 times in this past year and I have paid about $350. For $350 I can do better on a different platform resulting in more hires that this horrible system and thing you have going on here. 

I have encountered all the same problems which everyone has complained about, the initial contact then nothing, the instant quoting thing that I had to turn off because of the terrible messages received, and as a wedding photographer the ridiculously low pricing for wedding and events which most of the time are a year away and someone is just shopping around. I gave Thumbtack a chance but I feel I have to look at another service or platform where I see better returns on money spent. I just can not afford to send quotes here. I would have no problem paying for leads but the prices are too high here. 

Maybe if you went to a subscription service you may be able to turn it around. I feel that per response payment is flawed especially at the fear of being dinged $$$ for the bad ones. It also does not all conversation or getting details or more info because I am not going to quote "conducting initial research" or "need more info before hiring" because it is too much risk of not landing those. I will stay updated on what is happening with Thumbtack but I feel it is dying and there is just too many cons adding up to continue using.

misswestlake
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I have only been using thumbtack for a short time & have not found it to be helpful at all. I haven't gotten any jobs & I've been charged for  things I don't think I should have. I requested a refund for one of them & didn't receive a reply or credit. I have since quit using thumbtack because it's a waste of money. I've spoken to many other professionals that have tried thumbtack as well & were disappointed. I think there needs to be some serious changes with the way the site is ran to keep businesses using this service.

Andy_Levine
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with a lot of the comments others have made. I USED to check this site on the hour, but I rarely check it anymore.  The credit system or at least know what each job might cost was a lot better.  I really could care less about sending quotes for free. It floods the market.  Also, a lot of times people posting jobs never reply to anyone. I know you cannot control that, but it deters me to keep looking for projects on here when I know there is a good chance the poster is not even serious about hiring someone.  Also, with the new system I don't care if I lose out to others for a job, but getting charged even if the customer sends a reply saying anything is also a huge deterent to even sending a quote.  I would go back to using this site a lot more if 1. I knew how much it would cost to send a quote  or 2. I only got charged when I actually got the job or at least advanced the discussion a bit.  It would be on you guys to make sure that the customer was following up and hiring or considered hiring someone.  I have been on the other end and hired someone on this site, have you ever considered charging people to setup a job? It would weed out all the useless jobs that get posted.  This site only seems lately to care about quanity of profits over quality of projects that consumers and professionals are trying to accomplish.  

adam1
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Thumbtack was an essential part of our acquisition strategy. However, with these new shifts, I've seen our costs go up and the quality of the leads decline. What made Thumbtack unique is that we knew how much it cost us to quote up front, and customers would get custom quotes from pros pitching for their business. Now, they have to search through 15 generic responses from Thumbtack that provides no value. Adding in the project section is great, but it still puts the onus on the customer to do quite a bit of research, which doesn't happen. Customer go where things are easier.

jsaksa
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I prefer the original pricing scheme, where we paid per bid. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Imasheila
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I liked it before where you had one set price. I also want to know how many other quotes are going out for the same job that have already responded.
0 Kudos
Autumndean
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I used to like thumbtack! Prices went from about 4 bucks to 30 bucks or higher!! Fake leads every week! They ask 1 question you answer and then nothing. You should only charge when the pro is actually hired. Ive lost money with thumbtack. I dont answer any leads anymore. Fix the system and i will start again. I have read about 40 of these opinions from pros, they are all negative. Please fix thumbtack!
aubergine
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I used to be a huge user of Thumbtack but more or less stopped using the site since the pricing got out of hand. Reasons:

• It is too expensive to pay $60.00 for a lead just in case somebody might respond to my email! So I don’t bid on those leads anymore.
  • As a service provider, I normally responded to 32-40 requests on Thumbtack before even getting a response back. That adds up in cost and work so the pricing should be reflected on that. 
  • Important: I don’t like that we can’t see how many other vendors bid on the same lead. It used to be max 5 and we could see where we as a vendor in line. Now there is not a way of knowing if 10 people or more before me has bid on the job? If 10 people have already bid there is not much use for me to also bid and that wastes my time. Not sure why Thumbtack removed that feature? Please add it back again!
  • I noticed that Thumbtack does not have that many quality leads anymore. People can request catering for below $10.00 a person for 20 people. That is ridiculous. Please consider that as a service provider we have costs such as insurances, licensing fees, staffing, commercial kitchen, food costs etc.
  • Thumbtack is not on page 1 on Google anymore when people search in my category.
  • The pricing and Thumbtack’s company strategy changes too many times. That means I have to spend my time to call TT and have the new plans explained. Make one easy plan for vendors to follow and stick to it!

So with that said, for the time being, I am looking for other ways to spend my marketing dollars.

Jsussman
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
The pricing is very confusing. How do you decide the likeliness of actually getting the job from this lead?
0 Kudos