Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
lfrankly2003
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I stopped receiving leads because your company is ripping me off. I want to know why the price for each lead was adjusted to make sure that I was always charged the maximum budget I set each week. For example, if my budget was set for $50 per week, no matter whether I got 2 leads or 10 leads, I was charged $50. A review of the leads showed that the price per lead was set in such a way to always come up to that $50. I contacted your customer service who ensured me the problem would be passed on to your "Product Team" but the problem was never addressed nor resolved. I suspect this is because you set your billing this way by design.

Thumbtack used to be a great resource for small businesses. Now, it seems that Thumbtack is all about making money for itself.

0 Kudos
phdsecurity
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Hello, We are a full service private security company. I use security officers as well as off-duty police officers. (I am a full time police officer myself). I have been hanging around using Thumbtack  but have never been fully satisfied with the service. 

I have a few topics I can talk about but will limit myself to one- pricing!

I loved it when you could by credits, now....hate it! Most of the jobs on Thumbtack are one shot jobs (special event, private investigations, etc) There arent enough long term jobs/leads to justify what Im spending. I will probably move on to a different platform.

Good luck in the future

PS- You should include Police officer/Peace officer as one of the licenses a business can verify....I have never been able to verify my state police license.

0 Kudos
Mary6
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

You should have stuck to the old way of charging me two credits for a massage quote as I think that was fair enough that both of us would make money off the deal.   

My challenge:  Ninety-eight percent (98%) of the leads you sent were from people who only wanted massage to get rid of pain, or who only had enough money for one massage, two if I was lucky, and that would be it.  Practically every time they only got one massage and I'd never see them again even though they gave me five star reviews.  There are two kinds of massage clients:  The one-timers and the regulars who come every week or every other week.  Over a period of more than two years, I only got three regulars.  The challenge for me was in that it took on average, my sending out eight quotes before I'd get a client but because 98% of the time they would only be coming one time, it'd cost me $27 ($3.34 x 8 quotes), and since I charge $60 for a one hour massage, at the end of the day, I only made $33 for my labor ($60-$27=$33).  

But because I was trying to get my business off the ground, I went along with paying two quotes eight times on average before I'd get a client.  On more than one occasion, I called Thumbtack to ask WHY Thumbtack didn't have the resources or capacity to find potential clients who could afford regular massage.  I never got a clear answer on that.  

So this was challenging enough for me but then, you went and upped your rates astronomically; in fact, you recently charged me over $10 for a client who, once again, turned out to be a one timer.  Keep in mind that between Thumbtack, Google and my own website testimonials (www.RiversideHolisticMassage.com), I have between 50-60 five star reviews.  You just can't find the good leads and so between that problem and what you now charge, you're unrealistic enough that I rarely send quotes anymore.  I get almost all of my business from Google, FOR FREE.  But I never would have found I could do that if Thumbtack's owner had not become so darn GREEDY.  In effect, pricing yourself out of the market.  Now, it costs me nothing to get business just because I am listed on Google and not on page one of their search engine either but Google Maps.  

--Mary Kinlen, CMT  BA

0 Kudos
Billy
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Why is it so high. Before it would only cost me a few dollars to bid a mowing job but now it sometimes cost me 20 on a 40 dollar job.
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

A percentage when we get hired has been the fairest and best solution I have seen. Yet, how are you going to know how much we actually were paid. Therefore, reverting to the $3.33 bid system would be my vote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Qwksilver
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Thumbtack had stated in the past that some pros have tried to circumvent the hired process by moving the client away from Thumbtack to avoid charges. If TT was to charge per hire and pros circumvent the process with direct contact without being marked as "Hired". TT could spot check and ban any pros for that practice. That is more why instant quote was created in my oppinion.

0 Kudos
BMurray1987
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

First, a thank you to Thumbtack for allowing me to quit my job and open my own business in less than a year. I am forever grateful.

I think pricing is pretty straightforward for my field (personal training), but it sounds like it could get messy in other areas of work (e.g., landscaping, catering). In my case, if the customer lifetime value (CLV) is somewhere in the ballpark of $4,000.00 (assuming a client leaves after 12 months), then I will happily pay, on average, $10 for new client leads. However, my biggest gripe—and a very clear issue across the board after reading people's comments—is the quick reply feature. Quick replies do not necessitate interaction. In fact, as little as 5% of people that use quick reply actually continue a conversation with me. Thus, I'd love if this feature was removed or altered to instigate legitimate conversation.

That being said, let's do some quick math.

If I get 100 quick replies and only 5 of them become clients, that means I paid $1,000.00 to acquire $20,000.00 worth of business. In essence, Thumbtack allows me to get 20x my investment, yearly, and that doesn't count general exposure (e.g., people go to my website off Thumbtack and actually hire me there). 

All of that is to say that I think Thumbtack is relatively fair in my world, but that doesn't mean it can't improve. Moreover, from the sound of it, they need to scale the pricing structure to accommodate other business models. 

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

$25 a lead is too much.   If the reply with a question, like do you have references - I get charged with no business.

I added geneology but then can't remove it.  There is no fee schedule and I don't see how you can guess due to location if the lead is more than the other.  How can I budget or pick if it is not disclosed.   

I like the program, but would not waste my time if I knew it was $25 for a low income will.   I think a lot of people think this service is cheap instead of promoting qualified attorneys who will be there for you, not just a temporary employee like at legal zoom.

There are 2 that hired me that I would like to have shown as hired - but no option to say that.  Wouldn't that be a good feature for you to know?

I referred this to G. Douglas Abrams and he spent over $400 and got one client.  Family law is tough.

I don't want family law - but I keep gettin them.

Also you need the option of "probate"  I think people get confused and an estate attorney can be thought of as estate planning.  Can you add this feature?

0 Kudos
Kelsi
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I actually like the new model much more (no more paying for fake leads or customers who will never even consider me). I would rather pay a bit more for real customers than a standard across the board. My only issue is that as a photographer I can't opt out of some services that we don't offer (such as family photography) so quotes are automatically sent. Then when a customer does contact me for those jobs I'm paying to tell them that's a service we don't even provide. 

0 Kudos
koinonia2015
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with the majority. Quote prices fluctuate all the time. Last quote I submitted I was charged about $80 for answering an email that came through. I haven't placed a bid since.