Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
AcTx
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I have not spent near that much - but, I am just starting out. I'm in the travel arena and I can tell you, when most of these leads want air booking from LA to Mobile - TA's don't make a commission on national air fare unless we charge a flat fee. And because of the use of CCs and the laws, we have to report our fees to the clients. Then they get upset and we've spent $4 - $15 on a lead that we won't even make $9 off from in the end.

And - had I not spotted a "air-fare to africa" spam that was already being talked about in my agency... I could have gotten a charge back on a bogus flight purchase... which I would have had to eat.  I think for some trades - there needs to be a way to get real leads and weed through spam or fraud.

Options:

Air
Cruise
Hotel
Car
Rail
Air/Hotel/Car

If Air, you must pay an upfront deposit of $25 to get quotes or something like that. It would separate those that just want to see if they can beat bookings.com or Trivago - and those sites deal in armpit industry options... real agents are able to get more solid and tangible results and usually more specific... it's not apples to apples. It's apples to Mangos.

0 Kudos
djprock21
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Pricing should be more like Gigmaster. You only pay when u get hired. This was once the place to be now the only one making money is youll. We as the pro are getting ripped of. The clients ask 1 question then we are the one being charge for it , thats crazy . Then you come ask us to refer someone to youll service, RIGHT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
VideoByKevin
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
1. What’s confusing...
I never know in advance what you are going to charge! How is that not confusing? If I had any sense that you’re business model valued the people paying for the service, I may not not no si much. But I’ve learned that your model views the pro (who is paying) as disposable and obviously easily replaceable. So you’re asking me to trust a system that doesn’t really care about it value me or my business. There’s no basis for the trust you demand.

2. A fair price would be...
- Predictable (I would know what I am paying and when!)
- Consistent (It would be based on actual fees billed rather than supply and demand dynamics that are totally out f the pro’s command. The current system answers the question “How MUCH can we charge them?” Instead of “What is a fair price?”)
- Based on qualified customers. People who are ready to buy. I can handle losing to a competitor but it is frustrating to be charged more than $40 for a “lead” who cancels the job before I get any contact information, etc. Then because it’s cancelled communication is cut off.
- Based on real leads where we receive contact information for follow up. You get your money either way. We just lose out if they drop the ball after a conversation.

3. Other ways to help;
Consistency. I understand everything changes but sometimes it seems like the User Interface changes way to often without notice and seemingly for no reason. It doesn’t make you look flexible. It looks like you’re still trying to figure things out. That does not instill more trust.

I really want to like Thumbtack. But I feel used and taken advantage of. So I view Thhmbtack as a necessary evil that I need to put up with to get a few worthwhile leads. Is that really how you want to build a business?
happycm
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
I’m too knew to have any complaints but I also haven’t got a clue of what to expect. There really should be something that specifically indicates what you’ll pay.
0 Kudos
WHD
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

The current pricign model is rediculous. None of the descriptions of the jobs are even filled out, giving me no reason to pay such a high cost for a potential job. 

My recommendation is a SMALL monthly menmbership fee of less that 4$/mo. This is all you need to do, and your business (and ours) will thrive! 

0 Kudos
AMS
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I hate the new pay per contact set up! I was extremely upset the first time I got charged and it was almost triple what it use to be. We need to know ahead of time, how much the quote will cost if the customer does contact us, being surprised is ridiculous. Also, responses from customers are highly debatable as if that qualifies as an actual interested customer. Paying for a customer that not only contacted you, but every other pro who quoted or paying for customers who ask irrevelant, silly or questions that you already answered in the original quote, is no where even close to an actual interested customer. I have to now put in all these detailed paragraphs because I don't want to pay for someone just asking a question. It makes the quote look cluttered and unprofessional. We should go back to the lower cost and pay per quote or pay per hire.
0 Kudos
malepins
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I found the new system confusing and not efficient. I agree with the other comments about the previous method. It was a much better concept to follow and easier to quote. I have not been able to get one sure lead since the start of your new method. I 'm hoping you can change that.  

0 Kudos
SeanCarney
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi,

In the previous model, I knew exactly what each lead would cost me, that was great.  But they were very expensive, probably averaged around $15 to $20 dollars per lead depending on location.    These were for "coaching".  I completely stopped for business consulting as the leads where even more expensive and the actual potential clients were so unreliable it didn't make sense to continue so I completely stopped on the consulting side.

On the coaching side, I kept going and would get some conversions but the reality was that it was very common for potential clients to engage me on the platform, triggering my cost payment, only to let me know they meant to look for someone local or really wanted a female coach, etc.  Each one of these cost me a considerable amount over time.  And those that I did have conversations with were "window shopping".   So when I ran the numbers it just didn't seem like a good way to spend my marketing dollars and I stopped pursuing.

Until the new system came out.  The advantage of the new system is that it really weeds out a lot of the things I mentioned above as a problem.  No one is calling me, only to say they don't want a male coach for example.  People who call have some level of serious interest, and I keep a high price point in the system to try and ensure people are really interested in coaching.   But this is expensive to me from a LTV standpoint.  And I still get people who either are not a good fit, or worse initially contact me, and then don't respond to my follow-ups.  These are really expensive.

I am on several platforms looking for coaching or consulting clients.  And I do get good clients off of Thumbtack, and more than from any other source.  But I struggle with the cost of acquisition on Thumbtack, and the front-loaded investment for these leads.

I know you can't guarantee a sale, or a good fit with a client, especially with coaching, but I would be more inclined to bid again (I rarely do now) or lower my price and see what other kinds of work I could get if I could have more certainty in both the quality and the quantity of the leads.   There has to be a way, like Upwork or something, that incentivizes both the service provider and the client towards the right behaviors for both parties and disincentivizes the wrong behaviors for both parties.

0 Kudos
ironman
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I have no idea what your pricing is. I set up an account and when it got to the part about pricing it wanted me to sign up and prepay for everything at your rate you automatically withdraw from my account. I would prefer to pre-screen the jobs and find out if it even has anything to do with what I do. I fabricate Ornamental Iron, and I get get references to do deck jobs and wood fencing etc etc.
0 Kudos
DavidMf22
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Your prices have gone up quite abit. About to quote a customer a drain cleaning call and it’s going to cost me $18 dollars? That’s quite abit. I exclusively use your service and I’ve gotten many customers from it. But I can’t be paying that, if I can only charge the customer $120 for the service. I was told when I signed up. It would never be more then 16 dollars. Now the prices fluctuates daily. I actually have to check now how much it’s going to cost me. I’ve had to pass up a lot of jobs due to that.
0 Kudos