results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
MikeA
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
Yes! Knowing what we pay before we contact a customer would be great.
0 Kudos
SkiAz
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

While change can be a great thing, it's difficult to manage my looking to Thumbtack when the pricing changes on a regular basis.   The change from tokens to cash was good for me while the change from my purchasing replies to your charging a larger (and at least unknown to me) fee when I get a reply was negative for me.

My work is often smaller jobs which I can't (won't) respond to a potential $50 project when my cost once a potential client replies is $10+.  Obviously their reply isn't the same as landing a project.  With my purchaging the opportunity to contact clients that you've brought to me I felt I had/have a good chance of landing that given job if the client was in fact a serious lead.

I do give Thumbtack credit for adding clients to my business and thankfully several larger commercial projects as well.

Within my business efforts I'm not sure how you (as a company) can interperet what is fair to charge for a client that has a vague request such as:  "I need a bed and dresser assembled... how much"   This is my typical client which requires me to contact them for a response with the missing information such as manufacturer, item number, timeframe for the project, etc.. 

I have more thoughts but will leave it here for now.

wittekind9
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

You can count me out with the new pricing. I have been with Thumbtack since its beginning and now you get charges that you have no idea where they come from. Unless they go back to the regular pricing I have done my last Thumbtack. 

Highlighted
jerry
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I am a Top Pro. The pricing changes have been really detrimental to my trust of Thumbtack. In March I was charged even when the client asked a stupid question. I called and got differing anwers from each customer support person. Now, I rarely even get a response now that AUTO QUOTE is park of the program. Nor do many other coaches... but NOW we can't even see that, because you have hidden the INSIGHTS. Not happy. Your reviews on YELP and other servers are very poor. It feels greedy and your constant changes do nothing but confuse... You are turning away a lot of customers with very impersonal auto quote. 

Thumbatck I really used to love you. I am close to closing my account with you. 

Karyl929
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I got charged for a job I never did and my balance is just sitting there while I keep getting texts and emails for potential customers. I opted to go on facebook for customers and got wayyy more success. Ill use thumbtack eventually when I can pay the dumb balance. But I would rather not give you people my money. The customer service is beyond horrible.

Solved! Jump to solution

I have quite a few thoughts, but will mention my experiences with another comany to easier explain. We are the #1 Wedding, Folk and Private event band in Philly according to Gigmasters. Gigmasters alone has been able to keep my wife and I, along with our band members, employed full time as musicians. Anyway, I bring that up for a few reasons. 1) We have succeeded at using their system and would have loved to continue using your system as well, but the price you guys charge for just one message being sent between a potential client and a vendor is ridiculous. It doesnt take into account that clients shop around. We paid $50 just to have a client ask us a few questions and then never return our messages most likely do to finding another band. We understand that we wont always get booked and that's ok but paying $50 or anywhere close to that just to asnwer someones question is crazy. So after that 1 instance I cut my losses and wrote thumbtack off.

2) Since the price you guys charge always changes, there is no way of knowing what im about to spend until it's too late, plus it's a great way to swidle businesses out of money. We should definitely know what we're going to be charged per lead before we contact potential clients and had i known how unreasonable the cost was "per lead" i would have never done it. I figured if i wrote my budget was $100 a week that maybe i'd get 10 or so leads, i didnt think that i'd get one at $50. 3) the thing that many other companies do is either charge a monthy fee to vendors for listing on their site or just take a reasonable percentage of the total vendors are making.

To ensure that bands pay through their site and dont work around it, these companies do two very smart and helpful things. 1) They give incentives (like raising vendors higher in searches based off total sales) so the more you make for yourself and the site, the higher you are in the cient search. 2) They also give clients the ability to pay through their site, so clients can pay credit card directly over the site which gives clients extra assurances and keeps vendors from paying a merchant fee if clients we're to just pay them directly. 

Anyway, as im sure you can tell im not fond of your current system and feel that it really puts business owners in a bad position to lose money for likely no reward. I truly thing you should look into the major booking sites (The Knot, Wedding Wire, Gigmasters & even GigSalad) to get a better idea of systems that are beneificial to clients and vendors alike. My Two favortie business structures BTW are Gigmasters & GigSalad. 

Anyway, hope that's helpful. Feel free to get in touch for any clarification or questions. 

- Tino

Babysoft
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Pricing per lead is now extremely high and is no longer fixed but can vary.   The quality of the lead is a completley different issue.  We just need the opporunity to even pay for enough leads in order to be able to determine whether the quality of the leads provided from Thumbtack are even worth the investment.  With the lead pricing where it is now and the way leads are paid for, we have just given up all together and took the money we spent with Thumbtack and gave it to Angie's List.  We'd love to go back with Thumbtack, but with the existing set-up that will never happen.    

Jamie163
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm no longer a fan. The pricing is no longer transparent, and with so many "lookers" asking for quotes, it's hard to determine when to reply and when to ignore. Their response to a quote isn't an indication of intent to hire, and it then costs me money. In my years affilitated with Thumbtack, I've gotten three good clients. I've also started getting "partial" matches for services requested in other states, which makes no sense. 

Alex1973
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi i am the owner of a company called Alex Dias painting, there was a lot of money taken out of my account, only because I sent a message to someone, it took a lot of money out even though i only got 2 jobs in this app, i also said i wanted to do jobs only on my area where i live and automatically there was people calling me from New York and other places where i dont do jobs in, and even one day i got a bad review because they said i didnt answer them but it was because they lived somewhere else,
Do you guys think you are treating your clients good?
Thank you.
Joeriotta
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Part of running a business is having a BUDGET. With the old arrangement, I bought as many credits as I wanted and knew, ahead of time, what my Thumbtack expenses were. Now, I have no idea.
The new way of charging plus the ridiculous expectation to have me MANUALLY create an “availability calendar” are making Thumbtack a nuisance, instead of the useful tool it once was.
0 Kudos