Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
As a top pro who has been using thumbtack for close to 10 years I feel I have reached an all time low. Not only am I getting less business but paying more. The dog training industry is simple in many aspects but also unpredictable in others. Since both clients needs & their dogs vary from one to the next and in most instances I don't what is entailed until after my first visit, yet you are telling me that my price is based on you looking into a crystal ball. I know the number of allowed bidders has drastically increased as well as my cost. I can't even begin to express myself entirely in this format but do agree with what the many that have said. I believe you guys should know how we feel or you wouldn't be asking. Take a few minutes and read some of the reviews posted on other boards. My last call into thumbtack considerably lowered my feeling that you actually care.

Solved! Jump to solution

A Computer Partner in Roswell, GA has used Thumbtack for years, and I personally have hired other services from Thumbtack. Lately, Thumbtack has not been of much use to the business. A lot of requests are for simple matters that could be resolved with a phone call (at no charge), so they are not worth bidding on. Others are silly questions that do not even deserve a phone call. Most importantly, since we never know if a job will bring in more or less than the bid amount, it is not logical to bid when the cost of the bid is in flux and unknown at the time of the bid. One improtant change needs to be a disclaimer when the request comes in as to how much the bid will cost. For instance, "Computer repair needed in Roswell, GA. Bid on this job for $XX.00." That way providers know exactly what they will be paying for the opportunity to provide the service.

Another suggestion would be to charge for the bid only if the customer actually hires the provider. We don't know how many other companies are bidding on the same job, so there is a reluctance to bid on a job for an unknown fee, when you might be bidding against a company that has figured out how to game the system with bait and switch offers. Thumbtack has the opportunity to be of great service to companys and customers alike, but they are not providing that service at this time, in our opinion.

0 Kudos
RobertCarter
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm all for the complaints other clients have.  We are seriously considering dropping Thumbtack.  It was a great part of our advertising to begin with.  It is cost prohibitive at this point and we are not able to be flexible with choosing our leads.  I only choose leads now that have a phone number attached.  We may be not using your service much longer.  we prefer to buy credits.

LifeSaverCPR
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

The issue I have is being charged when I contact a lead and they dont ever respond to me or might respond once.  This is not my fault as I reach out to them right away.  These charges add up and are hurting my bottom dollar as I have to be priced more aggressively on Thumbtack due to competition.  I dont mind paying something smaller for a lead if they respond to me, even if they say they are not interested.  But there is no way to force people to contact you back after even an initial contact.  I have had people just drop of and never respond after they started dialogue with me.

Maybe price higher on hired leads and much less on the ones that do nothing for a business.

EmyW
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I am having the same problem as tons of other people that have responded.  I am getting useless 'leads'.   A lot of people simply saying 'thanks, but no thanks.  I have decided to go another route.  I have chosen another pro.  I have chosen to not pursue lessons at this time.' People need to be made EXTREMELY aware that they should only respond to a pro if they are genuinely interested in hiring them.  Remove those 'quick response' buttons that they can hit.   I had one man respond to my quote offering me less than half of the price.  Obviously the answer is no but I had to pay for that. I like the idea of only having to pay if we are actually hired.

I am sending out so many less quotes now and soon I will be sending none at all through Thumbtack.

Things need to change NOW!

DanLL
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

The price for the business consultant opportunities is $50 +/- which by itself wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately buyers are either allowed to either provide a very ambiguious description of what they're looking for or to skip it all together. This makes for a rather expensive crap shoot for the seller. I woud bid more at a lower price or with a more detailed project description. Maybe some sort of two tiered pricing structure.

nails1953
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

Your price is good but the leads seem to be old.   I call them and they have already gave the job to somebody else days before.

Also you send me very few leads in my area compared to Home Advisor. Home Advisor is too expensive but I get two leads a day usually.

Dave B.

0 Kudos
FatherScott
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you for asking for feedback.

Thumbtack has become unusable for me. This is entirely due to the new pricing structure. 

I officiate weddings and have a listing on Thumbtack that I am probably going to remove entirely. Because I accept donations instead of charging for spiritual services, I listed the "cost" of my services and reminded potential "clients" that this was only an estimated donation based on what others have given in the past. Actually, I never charge for spiritual services. I was very willing to pay Thumbtack a small amount of money in order to let people know about me and my services, regardless of people's ability to pay. The new pay structure has asked me to pay over twenty dollars just to answer a simple question about my availability. I not only don't know how interested the questioners are or how likely they are to use me. I don't know if they are asking me to marry them for free, something I'm happy to do if they are financially challenged. Obviously, though, my ministry can't afford to pay this much to Thumbtack and expect to be around very long to help others. 

I've noticed the expensive new ad campaign Thumbtack is running on television. It's an excellent way to grow the business from the free users end. Unfortunately, I can't afford to reach those people any more. Like many other service providers, I suspect, I could afford to pay a very small amount of money to repeatedly reach many people I'd like to help. I can't afford the new pay structure.

I would love to see Thumbtack survive. I think it can provide a valuable link between service seekers and providers. Let me know if the pay structure changes. Unless it does, I'm unlikely to pay for and respond to any service requests.

Again, thank you for listening, 

Rev. Father Scott Carter

Spiritual Director & Independent Catholic Priest

AcTx
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I think for the Travel field, a flat fee would be better. I think client's should be required to offer up more information so we know what we are getting into:

For instance:     Do you need: ($3 lead) air___  rail ____   auto ____Hotel ____   ($7-$10 lead)  air/car/hotel____  ($10-$14 leads) cruise ____   
                                                                      fly/cruise ____

It's hard to give a quote in the Travel industry because there are so many variables and there is a need for some extensive research for some things. I've seen sites in the past like "legal help"  that ask you to commit to an upfront fee of $xxxx   - I think there needs to be an upfront commitment for $10 -  $30 for a range.  So that we don't get scams or people wasting our time and our money on priceshopping apples to oranges. 

If we had MORE details we should be able to say NO to an auto quote... I lose so much because of the auto thing and some of the stuff that comes through, they are asking me to match or beat Trivago, Bookings or cheapair.com. 

Just my thoughts.

0 Kudos
johnaustinny
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have all out stopped using Thumbtack. It was a great tool to gain clients a my first year of business. I could spend $300-$400 a month and obtain good leads. Everything worked great! Then the pricing changed a little to $ per bid vs credits. Was not that big of deal. However this last change to prices charging based on % of the overall bid price is just the wrong direction. You have lost so many pros this way. I stopped using your service after a week of the new fee charging format. I could not afford to spend my hard earned money on fake, non-responsive leads. I spend over $600 in one week and did not get one customer and most of the leads where fake. I also tried to get credit back for what I was told by your reps would be questionable clients. I was told no refund. I took my business elsewhere. I may come back if you go back to the old style of charging and apologize to all of the hard working pros who keep your business running. You need to also look into not making so many changes in the system, format and such so often. It makes it hard to keep up as a small business owner. Feel free to reach out to me if you change your pricing matrix and want to publicly apologize to all the pros.

Jonathan Austin

Nashville Events & Catering.