Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Racer
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

Your pricing has increased so much the past 6-9 months that I've only submitted one bid.  As a pressure washer, you're often charging $40 for what may only be a $200 job. And that's if we get it. As a, soon to be, former top pro, (because I've pretty much quit using Thumbtack) when you changed from the credits, I think you've lost much of your business. 

The problem in our business is every job is different. By not requiring an address, there is no way to give a realistic bid. It was one thing to bid blind when it was costing us $7-$8 for a lead, but when it's $40, then it's a whole different story.

I personally think you should require an address and a phone number as well as setting realistic fees.

Rod734
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Pressure washer here also. Last year was beautiful with Thumbtack. We are licensed and insured and it's impossible to give thumbtack a big chunk of money for a possible job and to compete with people who will wash a 2 story house for 100 bucks because they enjoy power washing things. I find yard signs are the best advertising yet.
0 Kudos
HarleyJesus
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with the others. Luckily my business has grown enough that i do not need to use Thumbtack anymore. I stopped around the time you guys implemented the instant match. To me it seems you guys are trying to be more like Home Advisor and the fact you guys weren't like them is why i signed up with Thumbtack in the first place. Now your price per lead has skyrocketed to what it used to be that it is just not worth it to me any longer. The quality of the leads vs the price of the leads just isn't there anymore. My opinion you should have left a good thing going.

0 Kudos
OrganizedCat
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

“What do you find most confusing about our pricing?” The different prices are confusing. I have seen from $9-25- why? The fact that Thumbtack decides what is and is not valuable is confusing as I do not know what Thumbtack’s qualifications of a valuable lead is. I do not think Thumbtack should determine that value. Leads are only valuable if they become an actual paying client.

A fair price is between $3-5. It might be a good idea to have leads share in the price, it avoids people who are not serious from requesting. I have stopped my Instant Match because the ROI on it wasn’t good. Now, I heavily weigh whether or not the lead would be worth it, even if I do not get the job. I wait until the last day you can quote to see if they contacted more than 3 pros and still haven’t hired anyone. If so, then I do not quote.

Thumbtack would be worth it to me, if the leads had to answer more detailed questions, had to upload at least 3 pictures of what they want to organize, entered their budget, knows what the average Pro charges before requesting, and actually read my profile and quote. I suggest to do filters like when I am shopping: check off kind of job, price they’re willing to pay, enter a zipcode, check off rooms they want organized, etc. Then they receive a list of Pros within those specifics. They could pay something minimal like $1-3 for each Pro they contact, and I wouldn’t mind paying $3-10 when hired. 

Thumbtack would be worth it to me, if they supported N/A quotes better. Instead of a quote notification (if they receive notifications), send them a notification stating something like: “Catherine needs more details before sending you a quote. Please click here to answer her questions”. Then allow me to enter 3-7 additional questions so I can better quote. And if they don’t within 48 hours, then do an automatic “pass”.

Thumbtack would be worth it to me if I knew why leads did not hire me or decided to hire another; also, if Thumbtack automatically deleted, or allow me to delete, leads that went nowhere, after 30 days. There is no need to archive them.

0 Kudos
SCBI
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

As previously stated, the amount we are being charged is out of balance. I was contated to do a wedding in another state and Thumbtack charged me more than half of what i was getting. Based your price on the market, but not on what the client is actually being charged. After Thumbtack taking their portion ,I will lose money on this booking.

0 Kudos
Oceanique1
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I wish to continue and agree with many of the postings listed. I was a huge fan of thumbtack and they truly helped me start my small business. I am now a top pro, however sincerely feel that the “pro Service” that thumbtack proclaims has really left the building!!

To receive a response now takes anywhere from Two days to one week, which is unacceptable in the customer field.

Reviewing these posting we are basically all saying the same thing.......

Listen thumbtack your pricing is unfair, outrageous and inconsistent and if you don’t do something about it we will find options!!!!

Establish guidelines or set a rubric

Example
21 30 guests drop off service 7.00 fee

Outline your fees in advance it is truly useless to set a budget and have it be eaten up by two quotes!!!

0nly charge us if a true conversation prevails not just your buttons and the client does not return reply and we are charged 50 for what?????

You asked for this forum so now you hear us do something listen and don’t make our efforts be in vain!!!

Solved! Jump to solution
I commend the fact that you have started this forum for us pros to voice our concerns. I have already responded with my views on your pricing practices. If you have never owned your own business you probably have no idea the impact that marketing our business has on our earnings potential. I highly recommend you take yourself out of the business of charging us a percentage of what we could potentially earn as a pro. It looks to suspicious from our standpoint and brings to question whether the leads we get are really true leads and not some way for Thumbtack to pad your pockets. We start to feel like we are only helping Thumbtack get rich. Come back to a flat rate pricing structure and you will see more pros come back to Thumbtack. By flat rate I mean either a dollar amount ($2/lead, $3/lead, $5/lead), or some number. I know this may initially impact the bottom line for TT, but it will earn back the respect of your previous loyal users. 🙏🏽
jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

Here is another thing.  I just checked my personal insights and looked at my history of purchases.

Oct 17 - 2018 - Melissa F - requested "event photographer" for 2 hours with a under $250 budget.  Cost is $20.82

April 25, 2018 - Joann L - requested "event photographer" for 2 hours witha under $250 budget.  Cost was $8.35

This is the true facts of a triple price increase that us pros find so alarming!  True, Thumbtack can make changes whenever they want to fit their needs.  However,  a triple price increase along with increased competition and Less visability means less frequent bookings.  It's a mathmatical fact.  It would be wonderful if Thumbtack recognized that and refrained from saying these changes "gets us out there more" or that the "lead is now more valuable" if they contact us.  The lead is valuable regardless of the price.  Getting a valid lead that is booked is awesome.  Thumbtack has to understand that any of us who have been on Thumbtack for a long period of time finds this absolutly uncomprehendable.  It makes no sense.  Now for those just starting with Thumbtack won't know the difference - but I already read a lot of responses from new Thumbtack pros that are having no success but finding they are spending a lot of money.   The worst thing that I see is when I respond and then see that the customer contacts all the people who responded and then when I follow up a few days later - the customer hired no one.  And Thumbtack has a huge profit.  How is it acceptable they can contact everyone who submitted and we all get charged and then they hire no one?  Come on - - -   that happens more in frequency than actual hires.  One event Thumbtack profitted $340 and the customer hired no one.  That is a fact and that is very hard for a intellegent, successful professional to find fair.   

jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

Here is another point from the pros perspective.   As a videographer I used to do bridal shows.  I would pay about $1000-$1200 for a booth at an event where about 300 brides-to-be would show up.  I met a lot face-to-face.  Also included in that fee was a complete list of contact information for every attendee.  What a great value.  Thats about $4.00 a lead.  They are all potential customers in that room.  Small businesses and self employed people come to sites like this because they are not connected to a big company.  They are responsible for generating their own business.  Small business.  So if Thumbtack is operating with the idea that triple the cost - and a $50 or $70 cost for a customer contacting them is reasonable - - Thumbtack is not in touch with their paying pros financial climate.  As one other said in this feed:   You have been provided with an overwhelming amount of input on the recent changes.  Continuing to ask us for our thoughts is senseless.  You have an overwhelming amount of pros here that are not happy with triple price increase, more competition, less insights to see . . . . .    mostly the triple price increase.  These thoughts have been given out to Thumbtack for months.  Months.  And today I saw another increase in video production request.  $50 if they contact me.  I wish I could respond because this person really needs my services.  But no way.  

0 Kudos
TM2
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm so glad that there are others on here that agree with me. You had a really great thing going before you switched up the way you charge us. I loved Thumbtack for a good year and a half and I booked so many gigs through you. Now, if a customer replies to my quote it can cost up to $43!! The problem (besides that being ridiculously expensive) is half of the time they aren't replying to actually book me, it's to ask me more questions. So a few times I've gotten charged $30 or so just to talk to someone. I'm on Gigsalad now, which charges $30 bucks a month for unlimited leads. You guys charge me over $30 just to talk to someone. I really hope you change back to your old system!