results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Earlbird
Level 5

Re: The cost of these estimates

Solved! Jump to solution
Yep, $75 bucks for one estimate. And I used to pay around $8.40 for the exact same kind of job. It was a deck remodel or addition.

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I think the pricing is too high. Much higher than when ask to pay for each quote. I would rather go back to paying for each quote or making contact the same price as it was when sending a quote. Or paying only if you get the job!

Solved! Jump to solution

I would like to go back to paying $3.34 for each quote instead of $15.00 when I receive contact. Way too high. I can't afford to use thumbtack anymore

studio1314
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Since you are having this discussion, you obviously see a fall off in your profits. Others statements here speak about the same issues accross the board - higher priced leads, no ROI at all, low-balling customers and your price model fluctuates continuously. This is paramount to your future, I would believe. I used and loved Thumbtack as the service was an extremely important part of my growth, but you have changed and I can no longer grow on the current model. As a wedding photographer, I am actually paying less per year on target specfic sites even if customers just browsed my profile and didn't make a commitment. I did the math and had to turn away from Thumbtack! My requests are still open and just look at what people are looking for and the budget they expect to pay. It is completely laughable! If a customer is not educated to what they should expect to pay for a service, they could basically say they are willing to pay a dollar and want it all! I can not educate my customer on why they are paying more for a particular package if there is no upfront information. People don't know what they don't know. So for my services, I see a customer could request 10 hours, album, prints, download plus additional services in a budget range of $250-500. Come on! So I paid a set weekly price (on some silly slide scale) and do not get enough qualifing leads and overpay for the one that does qualify. When it was a pay by quote, I could quote what I felt was worth my time. Now there are way too many that do not get in the ball park!
Shuddrbug1
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@studio1314

You are right! I'm also a wedding photographer, and have been a Top Pro on Thumbtack since I started using TT.  I see several leads coming in with a budget of "less than $250" and the lead is wanting everything but the kitchen sink for that price. There is NO way, I'm sending a quote to someone with that low of a budget for 10 hours of coverage , let alone anything else they requested in their lead.

I've mentioned in one of my previous posts, when I first started with Thumbtack, the cost was either 4, 6, or 8 credits to send a quote on a wedding photography lead. Then that changed to 8 credits across the board for all wedding leads.(that didn't last long) Then it changed to 8, 10, 12 credits per lead, depending on the budget that the lead had listed. 

Over the past 5 years, I've been hired for over 100 weddings. I've been covering weddings for more than 20 years. I had great success with Thumbtack until about a year and a half ago when the whole platform started going through so many changes. I've had 3 hires this year (I stopped sending quotes a few months ago), and sad to say, my LAST Thumbtack wedding is in two weeks. I loved Thumbtack in the beginning. I even tried to stay positive through the changes, until it came to the point where I'd be charged a range of $30-$75 per response, based on the "type" of response I received from the client.  Let's face it, people who use Thumbtack are looking for a "deal", Unfortunately, in my area there are "fauxtographers" that are calling themselves wedding photographers and offering packages at ridiculously low prices. I'm not even going to attempt to compete with them. 

Thumbtack is sure as heck spending a lot of money on advertising themselves right now! Everywhere I turn, every app I use, there's a Thumbtack ad. The long time Pros are leaving in droves, according to all of the responses to this thread. The new people who sign up are inexperienced and low ballers. I agree with so many others that have responded, I'm done with Thumbtack until some positive changes are made that will actually benefit the Pros, and not just line the pockets of Thumbtack.  

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
@studio1314 - your message is my story almost exactly! I’m a event photographer. I’m killing some time right now and reading pages and pages of response here. I can’t belive some of these stories. If anything, I’ve learned a lot about my fellow pros across the country. And that my feeling are shared - total validation of points I’ve been making over the last several months.
cranichik
Level 8

Thumbtack just can't be reasoned with re: quote pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I had a "discussion" with a TT chat person yesterday re: pet sitting and dog walking. I wanted to know why it costs $3+ to quote if a client wants "pet sitting" but $6+ to quote for "dog walking".

He tried to tell me that they were 2 different jobs. I explained that they are synonymous, that I "visit" a dog and "walk them" no matter how it was worded. Why should it cost twice as much because a client used a different word?

Then he tried to tell me that the $6 quote was cheap, that most people are charged $8-14 to quote. I called him out on this because I only charge $15-20 for a walk!! Does he really think I am going to work for $1. Absurd!

Of course he had a generic reply, "I will let my team know about this".

Yeah, right. I am thoroughly disgusted with TT. I bet no moderator will chime in, because they don't care, either.

cranichik
Level 8

Re: Thumbtack just can't be reasoned with re: quote pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I started this as a  new discussion. Why was it hidden in the midst of 200 other pages, all of complaints, of course?

0 Kudos
MR1143
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Just noticed you raised your prices again!!!!!!!!!!!!!    You are going to price yourself right out of business.   After everything that everyone is saying about the exorbint prices that we are paying now, you go and do it again.   Amaizing.   Well guess what, you have lost more money, I will not be bidding on that line of services any more.   

mcrosson
Level 1

Thumbtack needs a different pricing model

Solved! Jump to solution

If you look at user feedback, there is a lot of disagreement about how Thumbtack charges, and if you look at the cost per inquiry, the quoted range is from $18-75 per "lead"... which is FAR above market price in most cases for small business owners, especially since there is no method of validation that these leads convert to sale or purchase.

I would highly recommend Thumbtack consider a monthly subscription charge based on industry, not a CPA/CPL model. Take a look at www.SocialMediopolis.com/smmc for example.