results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Plumbernyc7
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
The pricing was better when I could purchase credits and determine who I wanted to work with. Now I am paying crazy money for people who contact me asking to do things I dont do and I dont want to do. Also the pricing you have come up with is just not fair to the contractor. Because I am a "top pro" people send me messages and you charge me before I even get a chance to decline the job. You really need to be upfront about pricing and ask customers more specific questions . Countless times someone wants a toilet changed and they put down bath remodel and you want to charge 80$.. it's really not fair at all. Go back to your old ways. It will work much better. Otherwise I might as well go to home advisor
ntwwilliams
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I am very unhappy with the new pricing system. I find it to be hidden and deceptive. How is it that we are bidding on jobs and don’t know what we are paying until after we are charged is beyond me. I have drastically limited my Thumbtack usage for this very reason. There is no transparency in this tactic and it needs change.
TheLast10SF
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

Vinamrata - I've written responses on other posts so I'll repeat it here and hopefully my feedback makes sense (particularly because I did software pricing strategy for many years).  The way you're pricing makes total sense - pay for responses, pay more for bigger jobs and ready customers. I also very much appreciate the change that we can now relatively easily find how much it will cost to quote. 

The problem is how you're executing on the prices. I've recently paid $7/lead for $5000 job because they came in through Handyman category and declined paying $50/lead for what would be $150 job because they came in through Home Automation category. 

So what's the problem?

1) Customers don't really know the categories and often have projects spanning multiple categories. The way I solve the problem is to just stop bidding on certain categories. Not good for customers, TT, or me. 

2) Your algorythms trying to figure out customer readiness or project size are just wrong, probably because you don't have enough data. The way I solve the problem is I just won't respond to any leads costing more than $15. Also not good for customers, TT, or me. 

My recommendation is stay with the current pay-for-response model but have one price per category. Once you've really figured out the customer readiness and project size areas then prove to us we should be paying more for certain customers. 

Hope this helps. 

Thumbtack Employee vinamrata
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

@TheLast10SF thank you for taking the time to send your thoughtful feedback!

We’re sorry to hear that our pricing for your category seems off. We have an entire team here at Thumbtack dedicated to researching individual categories so that we can price leads in these categories appropriately. But we recognize that no one understands the value of jobs like the pros working on them. Which is why we ask Thumbtack pros directly and ask that you partner with us by telling us when the prices don’t make sense. If you decline a lead be sure to tell us why, especially if it’s because of the price. This is an easy way to share feedback you have about the price of a specific lead.

We've heard similar things from other pros about how we try to understand price for a specific category. Thanks for you feedback!

@Pat @AEHoerl @mnjn @1NancyG @bellaparties4u @BurlesonBooths @HANDSHEWD @Frank @elephantquilt @jcp @Awayfaringchef @Arut842000 @Mikeysal @Jaxgreyson4 @Bubba @Jill-Smiley @davidjscott88 @EmeraldFox @revdick @Metrote @NetPen @Kleebster @BigDave @ChanceL @bonnie_bill @Tschuette @JustinPro @Jeff @lockmangrady @Jefe @Sugartownphoto @NightHawk @RW @Noel @Mrolon @MichaelWeaver @Lmhi @ambersexton @The-Write-Mann @MikeA @HLProductions @Riseshinemobile @fitcap @KatMills @ttazawa @JMJ-Locksmith @dcagent111 @Lrobe52993 @SMedaglia18 @ermel @Tfiddler @lenaebdgr @VergaElectric @cpr4everybody43 @skul08 @CamRadke @JJLouis @JimC @Jm @tigerbaci05 @StyleByDani @CSID-Inc @Debrameole @dianniaoh53 @GreenTeam @juneb @JKK @Mike69 @JohnC @RuffAdjustments @mlehnert0208 @jvmroofingco @Plumbernyc7 @ComputerPartner @Boogietek @houmanyekta78 @DR @LanceS @Marckende @AMRPhoto @EJPhotoPro @Chuxxmail1 @sherrijphoto @MH @AcTx @whooper @Cal @Jhanna @MasterpieceAV @Qwksilver @mirajoleigh @Seamsbysusan @attorneyarlene @Billy @amcostello1 @FixFast @JanDHM @TomS
0 Kudos
AVP
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

VINAMRATA...

Do you honestly think we have time to "...partner with us by telling us when the prices don’t make sense. If you decline a lead be sure to tell us why, especially if it’s because of the price."?

Please fix this mess!!! If you want to represent hundreds of professions, then you by gawd should research those hundreds of professions, do some market analysis, demographics...the whole enchilada. Perhaps then you will realize there are so many variables that are unknowable. You simply can't ascertain what is "value" and then use some rediculous algorithm to assign some (arbitrary) monetary pricing structure and expect us to swallow that pill. Do you think we are stupid?

I only ask that question because this thread has become insulting to myself and the HUNDREDS of other professionals that would like to use your service.

Take a moment and contemplate what that word "professional" means. Please...go ahead.

TheLast10SF
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply and asking for ad hoc feedback when prices seem out of whack. I'll make the suggestion (again!) to get something more systematic in place to gather feedback on why Pros decline a lead, why (price being one option) and if it is price, then a few multiple choice answers (e.g., wrong category) used to investigate further. My sense is whatever data you are using to come up with pricing isn't very valid. 

0 Kudos
WBTF365
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

If you have a whole team trying to figure out how much to charge for leads you should take just 3 seconds to read the emails back and fourth and not charge when the clients says.. "ok we are going another direction".  Or "thank you" and not charge for a lead that does not produce a job. 

Or as an entertainer you need to cut your fees.  As an agent they get 15- 25% for getting me a job. They contact the client, work out all the details, get my price, and just contact me with when and where to go.  They deal with ALL the details of getting the job.  On TT all you do is pass along a POTENTIAL client.  I do all the contacting, chansing down, persuating , price nogotiations, and selling, and set times, entertainment, and details.  You do nothing but pass an inquiry on to me.....then take 15-25% ?????????  Thinking of leaving TT

Lrobe52993
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Thumtack should not be basing the price of their service on a category or type of job. There are far too many variables, from the scope of work to job location! Thumbtack cannot manage the marketplace! More importantly, the service thumbtack provides is the same, whether the job is $100 or $1000! Thumbtack merely provides a means for pros to make a bid and connect with a potential customer. It's an automated service. As I have said, the only fair way to do this across all categories is to charge a small percentage of the bid. 1.5 percent of the total bid seems fair, since there is no guarantee of a job, and the customer may simply be price shopping. That way, PROS do pay more to bid for higher paying jobs. But those who work in lower paying categories are not charged more than they can afford. Every Pro should know the cost of every bid they make BEFORE they place the bid. It should be immediately shown in the app. I currently have 8 jobs sitting in my Thumbtack inbox. For all of those jobs, only 1 pro has been contacted. Wake up Thumbtack! Pros are not bidding and customers are not being served. You will soon be out of business.
WHY IS THIS SO HARD?
jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
I agree @Lrobe52993

The lead is a lead. If it’s $100 or $1,000. Thumbtack should charge a flat rate for generating a lead. Your service is the same. You say it’s up to us to close the deal - ok. Why should your cost change when we do the work to close the deal. And yes - yesterday I have 9 jobs sitting in mailbox for hours with no contacts. Happens daily. I bet there are still 80% of customers coming to TT don’t hire anyone. The whole reason TT said they made these changes. I can’t help but respond because I see more and more comments daily! And since my work dropped off .....