results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Sopered8
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
That is the best response yet! I could not of said it better. I do home repairs. I had a customer ask for bathroom remodel. Thumtack charged me$75 for the lead! When l get to the job all it is customer has mold around his tube. And wanted a light fixture changed. Now I can only change someone $200 for something like that. And since the customer was up in years I Didn't even want to change him that. Pos are not bidingfor one all thumtack has to do is check my account. I went from answering 5 to 10 a day to 3 a week. Thumtack wake up or go under!!!
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
Thumbtack does not have the knowledge base to know what to charge for each field of service it supplies referrals for.

It is my opinion that tt charges way too much for leads because they are greedy AF and probably want to get the valuation of thumbtack ridiculously high so the owners can sell it off for a huge sum. Think about all the markets and all the catagories tt serves. Then multiply by ave number of requests. Yeah, that turns out to be a crazy amount of money for a business that could be basically run out of a garage by a handful of people.

Back when it was $3.33 per lead you were able to set a budget. But now the rate is ridiculous and unpredictable especially on smaller jobs where the referral can be easily 20% of the job which to me is completely unjustified and unsustainable.

Too often a customer does not put enough information in their request so I will pass over many requests not wanting to waste a lot of money only to find out the job isn’t even close to being worth quoting.

Honestly i was doing just fine before tt muscled their way in. It seems google’s search favors huge national companies like AL and TT over a local provider. In the not so distant past, my business website ranked for severlal page 1 spots for my keywords - now i’m lucky if i find myself on page 2 for one.
Like others have mentioned, for the amount of money i am giving up to Tt i would do better to focus and reinvest on my own site instead. Of course most people dont have SEO background like i do.
Forsyth
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I am a Top Pro in Event Planning, Wedding Planning, Floral, Etc. and have been on Thumback since 2016.

With your new pricing structure you say you only charge for the value I am getting.  How do you know what the value is to me? Some requests turn out to be very small jobs (or nothing at all) but since you charge first and don't know the final bid or size of job how do you know that what I paid is a fair price?

Overall the new pricing system is confusing and seems unfair to the pros and its definitely made me look at putting these advertising dollars into other areas.

Solved! Jump to solution
I agree with the other pros. It is becoming to costly to send out a ad now. I appreciated when it was $3-$5 dollars a bid as well. I have so many different prices deducting from my bank account even if I used budget spending. It hurts the customer and can set a bad tone for the business owner when people are interested in your service but you can’t respond to them because it will cost you $12 after you spent a nice bit of money already.
0 Kudos
bleis
Level 3

Solved! Jump to solution

I have similar complaint as everybody else. I was a Top Pro in my area and I now barley use thumbtack to send any leads.

Their pricing scheme got way out of hand that it made more sense to use my marketing money elsewhere.

I am still getting leads but because its based off the cost to respond to those leads I leave most of them unanswered. 

There are jobs such as web development that cost 30+ more to bid and the risk of bidding and not getting that job is not worth where I could take and use that 30.00 for advertisment space  with google or facebook marketing.

Such a bummer that Thumbtack has changed their pricing so much that the pro's cannot keep up with it. In addition I noticed this is helping those who are requesting services.

Thumbtack (was) my place to solicit services as a customer as well but with many top pro's not responding I am getting less options to choose from and will probably go a different route. (example: tile work).  

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi Vinamrata,

Whether I pay $5.00 per quote to a customer or $20, I'm still taking a risk of not being the chosen Pro with other Pros competeing for the same job. It wasn't such a big risk a year ago.  I joined Thumbtack when the cost was $3.17 per quote to try and gain a client.  I have switched from using only referrals for clients and I have stopped using Thumbtack, because I can't afford $20+ gambles each for a client.

Just because a wedding has a guest list of 250, doesn't mean the bride wants to spend loads of money on flowers.  Yet florist on Thumbtack still have to pay $20+ to quote.  It is usually food/catering/alcohol and entertainment that have the largest budgets and flowers are simplified with just the wedding party and many clients save money by DIY -ing centerpeices and decorations.

Thumbtack out priced me and I'm no longer looking at potential clients in my emails.

Marybeth

0 Kudos
srlake
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I read through several of these responses and agree wholeheartedly.... Thumbtack USED TO be beneficial.  Not anymore.

My most recent charge for a bid was $10, and it got me nothing. Simply because the client responded to my bid. But guess what...  Her response was: "What are your prices?"(When I had literally just written her 1500 characters about my prices!)  SO because people don't bother reading, or don't bother with proper communication at all, I still had to throw away $10.    Smiley Sad

I MUCH preferred when we paid a few dollars if we decided to send a bid to a client, because we knew about what they were looking for and their budget was aligned with our services.  But in my business, I simply cannot send a bid to every client if I don't know HOW MUCH THEY PLAN TO SPEND.  I cannot understand why you no longer ask clients what their budget is!!!  I'm a custom portrait photograher, and unfortunately the majority of people looking for a photogapher only want to spend $100.  Because they don't really care if their photos are high quality... they just want "a few pics."  I can only be successful if I market to those few people who WANT to invest more, because they know that it's worth it.  BUT IF I CAN NO LONGER SEE WHAT THEIR INTENDED BUDGET IS, I HAVE TO ASSUME THEY ONLY WANT CHEAP, and that they won't be interested in a $600+ custom portrait session.  

Thumbtack seemed great at first, but now... I agree:  It's broken.  The fact that Thumbtack is constantly changing their pricing tells me that their revenue is hurting, and they're grasping at straws as to how to make it more profitable.  But I don't actually think they're truly listening to THEIR clients.  I still have an account, although the inquiries that I even consider replying to are maybe 1 out of 10.  Doubt I'll use it much longer.

0 Kudos
HANDSHEWD
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Really!!! Now you wanna ask about pricing!!! When every single person I know absolutely hates thumbtack now including me you guys charged me 75$ to unclog a toliet I only charged the customer 50$ I cMe unglued at the seems when I started getting my Bill's from you guys as the prices for the jobs now are unreal!!! Unless it's a full remodel I dont even quote nearly as much as i used to with thumbtack.... 

0 Kudos
TGJAX
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I'm more perplexed that you all are just now deciding to ask these questions after the response all of us pros gave months back when you made the change. The tone deaf approach has assured most of us will never use Thumbtack again.

Your service is now akin to a sneaky pay per click model without the thought that most of your charges are more than it would cost pros to run effective campaigns on social media platforms or via Google or Bing. Most industries pay nowhere near $30 - $75 per click. The overall quality of your leads is also horrible and with no vetting. I see more scams than legit customers. Why would I trust you to automatically deduct money when you don't even verify leads are legit and don't want to refund money when they aren't?

Ultimately there is nothing I see that can truly make this better because your poor handling of this issue has made me lose all trust in the service. I understand being revenue driven, that's what business is about. However treating your true "customer", us pros like our opinion didn't matter has ruined your reputation. Maybe reverting to credits might help but I won't pay for those either to be charged for being auto matched to jobs that have no details available. Being straightforward and transparent with a focus on your customers is the only thing that will save Thumbtack.
0 Kudos
bonnie
Level 4

Thumbtack Pricing Structure

Solved! Jump to solution

I am a Wedding Officiant and I have been using Thumbtack since July of 2014. I am extremely grateful for how things "used to be" because I was able to build my business based on Thumbtack leads and reviews.  The platform is easy to use and reviews show our credibility.  I really preferred the option of choosing which jobs I bid on and paying $6 - $7 per lead; I could control my budget.  Now, I pay nearly $22 if a lead contacts me and I respond to them - which almost never turns into an actual booking. So now, I don't respond to anyone that contacts me first since most are shopping and don't realize I'm paying $22 to say hello! 

I charge $150 - $175 to officiate a ceremony and now I am paying nearly 15% whether I secure a booking or not - IF the people contact me or respond to my initial message.  I also advertise on several other sites that are exclusive to wedding vendors and I pay less than half what Thumbtack charges and I am not charged for responding to anyone that contacts me. 

My suggestion...lower your bid price for Officiants back down to $7'ish per quote OR - why not charge a flat monthly fee and let us respond to interested customers.  You will have a guaranteed income - we get our leads AND you will probably have a lot happier vendors. I would be happy to pay $50 a month and let me bid on the jobs I feel are worthwhile.  

Based on the feedback you are getting from everyone...you should probably pick a strategy and stick with it.  You have a good system going and it's great for customers and vendors - but too many knee jerk reactions on pricing have forced many of your good vendors away. PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT WE'RE TELLING YOU!  With so many different types of vendors on this platform - it is not a one size fits all! 

Thanks for listening!