results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Valhawk
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
Firstly, I didn’t realize my initial quotes werent going through because I hadnt @ set a weekly budget”. That wording is confusing. It would have been clear if you had step by step directions.
State the cost of sending the quote. Perhaps even tell me what the average price is.
Maybe even a chart comparing pricequots that include factors like how many years experience at the job, does the pro have good reviews posted, etc. And an indication of which quotes were accepted!
I did finally set my budget & successfully send a quote, which was accepted. But, while I think my quotes are fair ballpark for my service, and I always indicate that I will negotiate based on factors like buying a package, Ive only jad one tesponse.
I thi k people are looking for lowball prices. Do you state an average they can expect?
0 Kudos
whooper
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Honestly, I don't really think you want the answers you are asking for. 

The reason, you will edit and moderate what is written here to suit your own vision of what you want to hear.

I have been experimenting with the variables in the thumbtack universe and this is what my research yields.

Keep instamatch off, while having it on does put you in the prime position of being sent out first. it also opens you to scam artist, ghost phone calls that lead to non-working phone lines or fax machines, but a charge. The all too common interested but no reply customer and upwards of $150.00 per week in charges. Having it off for one month saved me $600.00 and I got to weed through all the jobs outside of my service area that I would have rejected anyway.

Before you tell me to adjust my preferences, I have!!!! More than once and you continue to send jobs well over two hours away.

You have finally put into print what you charge in the catering division, anywhere from 15.00 to 49.00. However, you do not actually have the jobs vetted into proper categories, many of the jobs that you call events are dinner parties, 20 heads and below, not an event. Party planners continue to abuse the pro's on here gathering quotes at our expense. Party host submit multiple queries, changing variables by as little as a name, day, china vs disposables. 

Like so many others on here, I have funneled my funds into self-generated and sustainable resources.

If you truly wanted to correct the problem you would change, period.

To substantiate my research I turned instamatch back on for one week, In that week I was charged approximately $50.00 dollars.

Two scam calls, one ghost... no jobs.

Wendell Hooper

PhotoBiz
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I don't even know when nor what I have been charged! Thats bad.
Before we could see each request with the amount they were willing to spend. For a while that was gone. Now I see it on SOME jobs.

Charge when a service is provided, PERIOD. Otherwise you as Pro are simply gambling and TT being greedy for something offered as HOPE. I would have to look at the 2018 marketing expenses to know how much I have been charged.

0 Kudos
Kleebster
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Regarding photography services.

I think the business model is a poor one because a vendor pays per contact response whether they get the job or not. Vendor loses.

If a final job is $500 and a person contacts 10 people at $20 each and receives 5 responses already they lost $100. 

If the headshot job is $250 and they contact 10 and receive 8 responses at $27. That's $216. Vendor earns $34.

This does not take into account: transportation equipment usage, rental, insurance, and especially editing time. Vendor loses.

Vendor should be charged per job aquired. A low percentage like 5%. 

At this point a photographer will spend more than they earn. So it isn't worth it unless you're going for the big jobs. But there are very few big jobs on here because most of the people on here that are looking for photgraphy services have no idea what it takes to do this kind of work. They come on here looking fora full day of wedding photography for less than $500 or even less than $250. And they expect amazing work.

Something very wrong there.

Esalazar
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
I really like your concept but I have sunk $80 on quotes and nobody has hired me. I am considering deactivating my account because of this. I would like to see an arrangement where one pays once he/she is hired as other similar companies do.
tjsassembly
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I might be in the minority but I think the pricing is fair. I understand Thumbtack is a business and they have to do what they can to make money. I simply put in a quote and let the customer respond. I do not send follow up messages repeatedly because that alreaey tells me they are not serious. It is still cheaper than the credit system. I am payiny for leads not jobs. Leads get me the customer and eventually become a client. I don't see it as getting jobs anymore

The only thing I would say about pricing is to be more consistent with the lead price. Sometimes its 9-$13. I do like the budget system.

Thumbtack I do ask to look into us having custom domains powered by Thumbtack. Also, to have some customization with looks on our profiles also. Nothing to major.

0 Kudos
Sean
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Pros should only be charged when they are hired. We should not have to pay anything for someone asking simple questions.
botanicalbox
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

I used to use Thumbtack for leads for jobs, but almost none anymore. I have always disliked the pricing structure, but have tolerated it until now - now it is TERRIBLE. I'm paying sometimes upwards of 10% for a job. I would rather just pay one fee for listing - period. Clearly I'm not the only one who dislikes the current fee structure. I'd suggest you make some changes before it puts you out of business.

0 Kudos
Mrolon
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I think you guys should have a different system. I can’t tell you how many people just shop around and message me for discounts. I reply to the message and they end up disappearing but I still get charged for the conversation. I also think that it’s rude to just pass on a job and not be able to tell the person why I’m not available. If I pass on a job because I’m not available, let’s say cause I’m sick or someone else got to me first, how likely are they to hire me again for a another future project if they think I just ignored them?! All that just so that I won’t get charged a ridiculous amount?! I’ve had clients think they were ignored by other pros and I had to explain how it works which in my opinion is unprofessional.
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

I stopped using thumbtack much a couple years ago when the price started to skyrocket.

With the very imprecise targeting you employ I can not justify paying more than a dollar or two for leads. You allow people to put in requests for services with so little information that it is not really possible to craft a quote accurately, and now all the bottom feeding scammers and low skilled  workman seem to dominate, with auto bidding filling all the spots in a few minutes.

If the leads were a better quality, I would have no problem paying $20-30 for them, but they simply aren't.

For me it is not about your pricing, but the value.