Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted
Sav
Level 5

New pricing structure

I have been with Thumbtack for some time. When I first started, the payment process was by credits. You purchased credits and could see how many credits it would cost you for each bid you selected. This method made the service more enjoable because as a businessman, I was able to select and bid on projects that I thought were worth the alloted credit amount. I thought it was genius. NOW, it is impossible to see how much the response from a potential client might be, AND the prices have quadrupled! I paid over 70$ for a client to respond to me that she hired someone else. A year ago 70$ would have gotten me AT LEAST 6 or 7 bids. This is the same reason I left Home Advisor- greed and unfair pricing. I really love Thumbtack, but the change in pricing is a HUGE turnoff, and the clients arent as good as they used to be! PLEASE change back to the structure that turned me on to your company in the first place. 

Occupations (2)
States
172 responses
StevenCee
Level 6

Re: New pricing structure

I agree, I wrote out a quote, and when I saw the pricing set-up, I was stunned. To have no idea whatsoever what the cost of a quote is going to be (& knowing how inconsistent and inappropriate many of them were before, when we could see them), is a bit too trusting of the good judgement of what I'm sure is some algorithmic based system, so I may just have to let what sounds like a perfectly good lead go unanswered. I've also noticed that most of the new leads are having little to no responses, so I assume many people are spooked by this pretty bizarre new pricing structure.

I think they may be trying to have one basic system conform to all the varied factors that each service requires, and it just doesn't work that way. Well, if too many people fall out, they'll have to go back to the drawing board. To be able to program software has little bearing on doing what's best for a plumber, mechanic, musician, or caterer...

John-Page
Level 5

I agree 100% credits were fun, then a cash price but we knew ahead oftime and in my business the bids ranged from $5.00 to $8.00.  Then came this new blind bidding, we'll let you know after a client contacts you.  First time I was contacted what a surprise $38.07 on a job that would have brought in $250.00 and I didn't get the job so I know someone else paid the same price, probably more then one other, to me that is exceedingly greedy from before and a hell of a price hike..

That has been the last bid I've made, I always click pass, then other and say when you go back to the old ways, or at least let us see the cost I will not be doing business.

I picked up an average of 4 jobs a month, so thumbtack isn't a big part of my income, but when it was reasonable I'd spend $60.00 or so a month and had about a 50% booking ratio, figure ten to twelve bids that would cost me now somewhere around $456.00 a month, or about $400.00 more than I was spending before.

Anyway Thumbtack people let me know when you'll let us see the costs again, then I'll decide if it's worth it.

Moderator Meckell

It's no secret that pros haven't been happy with the pricing structure. Your concerns are valid, I get how important price transparency is and so does everyone else here at Thumbtack. Good news, we listened and we're working day in and day out on ways to improve this. Take a look here to see what Marco's vision is: https://community.thumbtack.com/t5/Community-news/A-message-from-Marco/m-p/2322. This is something we're excited about, I hope you are too. 

Pat
Level 6

Let's start here: As Marco notes, we’re making these changes with one goal in mind: getting you more customers.
Marco, FYI, you are failing miserably.
Since the changes, I am getting far fewer leads, to the point you are sending partial matches. I am in southern NH, with a range set at 30 miles. I get leads from 50 miles into Maine and as far south as NJ. I assume that you are doing this just to make it look like you have actual leads.
Let's say a deck in Nh $58, next town over in MA is $70. MA leads are more valuable I am guessing. But either way, if I am able to close 25% of my jobs, so I have spent $232 for a job $250 repair job.
Congratulations Marco, after 6 years you have priced me out of you service.
Moderator Kameron

@Pat I wanted to look into those jobs that you're seeing outside of your set radius. I found that on your services page under Advanced Settings  "Suggest jobs near my travel area" was turned on. I've gone ahead and turned those off for you and you should begin to see jobs more accurately after today. Along with this, anytime a pro shares details about why they feel a contact is overpriced compared to the amount the job is worth, it's something we want to know about. I've sent your thoughts on that in for feedback in regards to pricing.

Pat
Level 6

Kameronk,
No issues, I am opting for a different format, that provides some semblance of value for the money I am spending.
It was good while it lasted, but I see no future with this service anymore.
Soundmethod
Level 5

Can anyone show me where else in life do people buy something without knowing what the price is. I used to really love Thumbtack and depend on them. Why will they not listen to the Pros?

ChefLauren12
Level 5

Totally agree! They could care less what we think...I have been a top pro for years and I am now going to phase TT out of my life-I’ve only gotten two jobs since June which for me is way down from the past-i hope others follow so they get the message that this isn’t working.
Kimv2003
Level 5

Oh and they also allow so many more people to bid on it
It was a limit of five before
so they’re making even more money by letting more people bid on it
we’re getting under bid by fly-by-night companies or allowing tire kickers cost us

It’s not set up for our best interest
Its set up for the best interest of Thumbtack
😩 what a change a year brings