results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 23308: Hefty charge for a dead-lead
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
ChefLauren12
Level 5

Re: New pricing structure

Agreed! Now that we have to compete against 14 other vendors and the lead prices are out of sight, it’s just not worth it!
FoM
Level 5

I'm in the same industry. Personal chef & mixologist. I used to get jobs left & right, but I too have not booked anything in MONTHS. It's not me, it's the new system that's screwed things up. Bidding against 5 was a fair 20% chance of getting hired & it wouldn't cost me $25 for someone to ask "when can I call you?", then poof! They never call or respond or hire ANYONE from TT. If we respond promptly, are friendly, professional, & eager to help why should we be charged such an astronomical amount for a "lead" that is just trying to gather information? I don't get it. Being in the hospitality industry makes loving what you do a way of life. I adore most of the customers I've had the privilege to meet through this platform. Sad, but I no longer love TT or their shady business practices. If they went back to the way it was... 5 bidders, no Instant Match, affordable leads, & making customers either pay a minimal fee or at least verify their phone numbers, etc., we would all stop complaining & use their medium again.
CCoen
Level 6

I agree I know 3 other professionals in other professions and they've all given up on Thumbtack. Please go back to the old system or I will have to join them!
Tri864
Level 4

I agree totally. And making a decision if im going ti continue to use the app. Be here almost 4 yrs and to much has changed for me
PC
Level 5

Is it true that if we don't use amount for quotes per week, you keep the rest?

picou
Level 5

Hi Marco,

First let me say that I am a small business owner.  Careful consideration is taken when making financial choices to grow my business, every penny matters. I'm not pleased with the new method Thumbtact has implemented in pricing with quotes.  My number one concern is that your new charges aren't transparent.  There is no visible explanation on exactly what, the true cost, my business is being charged. 

Within the last few weeks I've received a response from 3 people, who may be bogus, with an interest in my services.  There were 3 different fees charged to my business ($25, $11.65, $14.98). I contacted Thumbtact to ask for an explanation and was advised that a supervisor would call me back. A supervisor contacted me and was unable to explain why there was a variation in the charges.  They were also unable to give me a breakdown of my charges.  The vague explanation I received is that the system determines the cost based upon different factors such as type of job, service, size, frequency and how contacted.  I was also sent an email with this vague breakdown in cost"> for Personal Chef, a typical customer contact costs around $9, and a contact will never cost more than $29
> for Private Cooking Lessons, a typical customer contact costs around $11, and a contact will never cost more than $66."  

Today you can pay for advertisement of your business through social media.  You can also choose a specific budget, type of campaign and the length of time that campaign will run.  They will give you a breakdown in the potential audience reach based upon a few preselected factors.  For $5 I can expose a couple thousand people to a video that will lead them back to my website within 24 hours on social media.  I may or may not get a call for business, but it only cost me $5.  It's a risk I'm willing to take for my business to get some exposure.  My websites provides analytics from impressions, clicks, searches and more.  I am able to monitor what a $5 investment does for my business exposure. The $51.63 I invested in Thumbtact has yielded a potential of 3 customers seeing my website. Not one of the contacts provided me with a phone number to follow up as I requested.  As a business owner I don't mind the initial contact being via a lead program as a typed message.  When Thumbtact has decided it to be a valid contact there should be a way for me to contact the lead by phone, if not then how can it be valid.  The type of business I have requires that I have verbal communication with a potential client.

Scenario - I need to have my A/C repaired and would like to get a second opinion as well.  I've contacted a couple of different repair companies and have been informed that there is a $75 fee for estimates.  If I choose to get my repair done with the company the $75 fee will be deducted from the final cost. If I choose not to get the repair done I'm charge $75 by the company for the service of giving an estimate.  It's my choice, as a potential customer, whether or not I'm willing to invest to get a fair estimate from the 2 different companies.  It will cost me, but only $75 not $150.  It's up to me as the customer to choose the investment.

Scenario - Thumbtact - Multiple customers can request a quote for services from professional without being charged a fee...There is no accountability for the customer.  The accountability and cost is all on the professional whether given the job or not.  It's good for Thumbtact, but not the professional.

I don't think a professional should be charged a fee, an unexplanable fee, for a client who doesn't hire them.  I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any fee for the potential, but one that is reasonable. Maybe a set standard fee that is a predicable cost for the professional.  If Thumbtack has a team of professional monitoring the quotes and communications... that team should be able to see which professional a client chooses to hire or not to hire.  If not, where is the loyalty from Thumbtack to the professionals?

As much as I love getting multiple notifications about potential jobs, I'm discouraged from quoting.  I was charged $14.98 today because the client hit an auto response of "Sounds good! What's next?"  I have not gotten any additional response from the potential client, althought I requested there contact infomation.  It is obvious that there is no accountabilty or risk for the client or Thumbtact.  All the risk is being placed on the professional.  This has to change or in the longrun professionals will choose better ways of utilizing there advertising budgets and it won't be done on blind, far fetch, unexplanable cost(fees) with no return on investment.

Highlighted
fitcap
Level 7

PROS SHOULD BE CHARGED WHEN AND IF A CUSTOMER HIRES US..NOT BECAUSE THEY ASK US QUESTIONS!!!

Moderator Kameron

@fitcap paying per hire isn't something that will be happening at any point soon, but you never know what the future holds. 

As I'm sure you remember Thumbtack was working in a way that pros paid to send out any quote, even if the customers didn't respond. That was the largest part of the site that pros shared their feedback on and that it would make more sense to pay only when the customer responds. That was a huge step for us and now that we've moved to that model we're working to improve much more of the smaller nuances that came with it. This included showing prices up front when sending your quote, along with making sure we’re charging the right prices for customers who contact you. We’re currently re-evaluating the prices and looking for ways to further align them. 

0 Kudos
Soundmethod
Level 5

You could fix this in one day but I guess the suits know more about our businesses then we do. Until iy goes back closer to the way it was when I was making money with TT and I felt like they cared and we were partners in this, you will not see any of my money, I have been trying to solve an issue with you for weeks and you still wont resolve it.  Adios!

Moderator Kameron

@Soundmethod thanks to feedback from pros prices are now being shown up front when sending out a quote to a customer. When sending out a quote below the customer's name there will be a description and a "Learn More" link. Click on that link to see what the cost of the connection will be. 

As for your specific concern or problem, feel free to send me a direct message and I'd happy glad to look into things with you as needed. 

0 Kudos