Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
DM
Level 5

[Blank Title]

Has anyone else noticed that the cost of actually securing a customer through Thumbtack has nearly tripled in the past 12 months?

While the cost per lead increased incrementally; the "new features" like "instant match", preformatted questions for customers, and each customer being inundated with up to 20 quotes for one request sure has made the likelihood of securing a new client decrease for me.

It appears to me that we are paying three times as much money with zero exclusivity. 5 years ago, Thumbtack only allowed 4 people to respond before making the potential customer unavailable for quoting.... that was a much better system. Does anyone else agree or disagree?

I have found that I am now spending enough with Thumbtack to afford high dollar ad campaigns!

Eline
Level 4

Money went to the drain

It is my first time using Thumbtack pro, I set up my budget  $35 for 1 to 4 leads. The first person contacted me,  Thumbtack charged me $28.40, it will be best if we knew how much we are getting charged in advance, if we get 4 leads for $35 like it is on the budget, it wouldn't be too bad, hopefully, we' ll get one job. I am so disappointed.  

MLCC
Level 6

Re: Money went to the drain

I thought of this restaurant illustration regarding not telling your Pros what the cost of quotes are but simply setting a budget and we "get what we get."

I go to a restaurant for dinner and in my mind plan to spend $100. The menu has NO prices on it. I let the waiter know I have a $100 budget.

I start with bread. Then I get a salad. Then I ask for an entree. The waiter says, "Oh I'm sorry, you've reached your budget for dinner, ma'am." What?! But I've only had bread and salad?

The waiter says, "Yes, ma'am, but the bread and salad total $50 each"

If I had known that, I would've waited for the entree. Now I'm going home hungry and have to fix myself something else to eat. 

So, I've marketed with Thumbtack at crazy high prices and have to now market additionally with other options and leave with nothing from Thumbtack.  Another way to look at it…I have to go to a different “restaurant.” Smiley Sad

The analogy is simple. 

If I quote on a customer and have NO IDEA the cost of the quote, I have ZERO control over the number of customers I can engage and get stopped in my tracks suddenly. 

I've never heard of another company charging in this way.

MLCC
Level 6

Re: New pricing structure

Please lower your prices!

The way the lead structure is set up is very definitely not Pro-friendly, which ultimately means it's not Customer-friendly...which is Thumbtack's top priority. High prices keep us from accepting leads. Not accepting leads reduces the amount of Pros Customers connect with.

The leads we are paying for are outside of our preferences. Yes, we don't have to pay for them. We can decline them. We know that.

But how does it help the Customer or the Pro if we do that??!

You're asking prices that are really more suitable for leads that are going to turn into jobs for us.

The leads you're providing that say to 'look carefully at the job details, this is not a perfect match' cost us more than the ones we are promoting.

How does that make sense?

Can someone from Thumbtack, after they read this, please answer that question specifically? Thank you in advance for your specific reply.

We "Promote" and get 20% off. Discounts are great..but honestly, those discounts came AFTER a price increase. You actually increased some of the prices 100%+ and then offered a 20% discount. Ugh! How does that make it better?

Then we pay more for leads that aren't a match.

It just doesn't make sense and it's killing the Pros budget, not to mention the motivation to continue using Thumbtack.

I love my clients from Thumbtack, but I'm becoming increasingly more frustrated with your service, for sure.

How about just Promoting us because we are your Pros (and paying Partners) and then letting us choose what we pay for and what we don't....at a reasonable price.

You require payment in order to Promote us. Why?

Can you Promote us because you want us to be successful? And let us make decisions about what we pay for?

At the end of the day, your lead prices are outrageous for the level of seriousness of many Customers...even the "only picked you" among all the Pros. That still doesn't say anything about their level of commitment. Many aren't following back up with us. Even with great messaging and exceptional service.

So many thoughts about how this platform works...and so many frustrations.

This last thought: If you focus on taking excellent care of your Pros, you'll inevitably take care of your Customers. In fact, perhaps you could shift your perspective a little and think of your Pros AS your Customers.

Movers96
Level 5

Bait and Switch

I recently had the good sense to check my billing with Thumbtack. Recently, I'd decided to promote my services, and I discovered that Thumbtack decided to make a policy where if you promote your services, it does not matter wheather a client responds or not- YOU WILL BE CHARGED. The way I discovered this policy is because a client's FIRST response was "I'm not interested." yet Thumbtack still charged me. I'm not certain if they're trying to create a situation for me to quit using this platform, or what. 

Anyone else running into this problem?

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Bait and Switch

@Movers96 you're charged the first time a customer contacts you. That goes for if you're promoting your services or not. When you set your preferences by promoting and a customer reaches out to you from the list of pros, that's when you're charged. If you quote on a job through the Jobs tab, you're charged when the customer responds. Be sure to check out this video here with more info on when you're charged. 

Can you send me a private message with the name of the customer who said, "I'm not interested."? I want to take a look and see if it's a situation we can refund for. 

0 Kudos