results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
DawnNicole
Level 5

New pricing system - makeup artist

The new pricing system thumbtack has implemented doesn’t work for me. In fact... it’s awful!! I’m a makeup artist and Have been a member of thumbtack for over 5 years. When we were on a “credit” based system, it worked out great. We knew exactly how many “credits” we needed for each bid. Now, I’m seeing bids for jobs that are over $25! That’s insane! Also, why am I being charged if the customer emails me, but doesn’t hire me? Also, why am I being charged if a customer does hire me, but decides at the last minute to cancel!?!? Why should I have to pay for that. I stopped using thumbtack for a while because of the “instant match system” now this OVER PRICING system. What happened to the good old days when you KNEW how much each bid was and it didn’t break your pockets?? At this point I’m scared to bid on any requests in fear that I’m going to be charged (and I have) for a gig that I don’t even get hired for!! Thumbtack.. u have to do better!
Occupations (1)
States
5 responses
Moderator Jordan

Re: New pricing system - makeup artist

Hi there @DawnNicole, there have been a lot of changes in the last several months and we are still working on improving everyday. At the core, we're still here to connect professionals and customers. It's what we charge for. Currently, pros are only charged the first time a customer messages about the project, schedules an appointment, or marks you as hired. Once the connection has been made, getting the hire is up to the professional.

As for pricing transparency, it's something our Product Team is working hard on. I don't have an exact date for when it'll return, but bettering the pricing structure is priority number one right now.

0 Kudos
DawnNicole
Level 5

Thank you for your response. As I understand your stance (from Thumbtack’s perspective) it still is a major inconvenience when I’m charged (outrageous fees) for a gig that I may not get at the end of the day. I just reported 3 “potential” clients that’s hired me, and then I never heard from them again. I had one guy of whom I bid on his request for a MUA, when we were chatting he then asked for wardrobe consulting. I worked with him for 5 hours (until 4am) finding what he needed. He has YET to respond to my text messages so I’m assuming he’s not keeping his appointment. I also just received another message from someone who said in the message that she wanted to hire me to do her makeup TOMORROW (7/28) morning. She sent me her #, we text, she told me what she wanted and the time. I asked her a few questions, and I haven’t heard back from her!! This is the 3rd person in 2 days that I’ve bid on, they “hired me” and then either cancelled at the last minute or I just don’t hear from them, yet I’m still being charged for services that I have not performed. Thumbtacks take is “we r connecting you with people needing the services your offering” however, im spending more money than I’m making and spending money on non existing “potential” clients. This is not fair!! Thumbtack says “you’re charged if the client communicates, or hires or whatever” which is unfair to us.. the professionals because we can communicate all day but at the end of the day, we may not get hired, and that happens more often than not. So what happens then?!? When a “potential” client contacts you, you go thru the motions of trying to secure the job & nothing happens or they hire u & just don’t show up. We shouldn’t be charged just for communication! If we are hired, THEN we should be charged, but for just chatting, getting details or being asked questions, it’s not fair. So at this point, not only am I out of time (or which I can never get back) but over $30 bucks on bids that at the end of the day, hired me, but never followed thru. I should be refunded. I’ve been rated top pro 4 years in a row.. have the most and best reviews on thumbtack in the houston area, so I know how to secure a client. I feel like thumbtack needs to do better at screening these customers (instead of looking out/protecting them, u should be looking out/protecting us) & I feel like Thumbtack has become more about the money you receive off the top & not about the pro’s. The pricing has become OUTRAGEOUS!!! Some of the pricing, for one job, are over $15! I just saw one that was over $25!! For one job!! And it’s not guaranteed you’ll get the job, but thumbtack will DEFINITELY charge us for us! So essentially we (as pro’s) are losing more money than we r making. And losing clients (because we r booking these “non existing” clients and holding dates/times) when we could be booking someone else, either thru thumbtack or any other site for that matter. I have been with thumbtack for over 4 years, and to be honest.. the “credit” system worked best. At least we knew how many credits we needed to bid on a job. Now not only is it a dollar amount, but we are being charged just to communicate with the potential client!!! Also, since thumbtack raised their prices on bids (for the pros) how r we to recoup that money? We can’t raise our prices! This market is VERY competitive... so either way u look at it.. we r losing money, but thumbtack is gaining!!
0 Kudos

On the same note, I was JUST cancelled on by a THumbtack client 15 minutes before our appointment.  I don't think I should have to be charged for this and additionally I fell this person should pay me a cancellation fee.  We discussed all the pricing, she never made a peep and even asked me what payment I take and then literlly 15 minutes before she was supposed to show she cancelled.  She now wil not respond to text or emails.  What recourse do we as small bussiness owners have against clients like this?  This is actually the 2nd time this has happend to me.  

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

So sorry this happened @sambatesmakeup. If you notice this is becoming a trend, it may be a good idea to implement some type of cancellation policy for your customers. @DustiO, do you have any suggestions for pros who may be dealing with this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@sambatesmakeup Ugh, I am so sorry, this is THE WORST. As a wedding cake maker, I ran in to this occasionally with people who set up tastings. In the beginning I also had a few people cancel after I had already begun making their cake. Unfortunately, this is the nature of working with clients. I learned the hard way, to have a signed contract for every client, along with a deposit, before I invested any time in them, or held a space for them on my calendar.

Are you having them pay a deposit? Even something small, like $10, to hold the space on your calendar, is perfectly acceptable to ask of clients. Let them know that your schedule books out quickly, and that you are only able to hold a spot if they have a signed contract and/or a deposit.

I hope this helps! Feel free to direct message me if you want to chat more about it!

Dusti

0 Kudos