results: 10
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
PattyB6
Level 6

Re: New system

@DustiO, you and some of the other moderators continue to tout the benefits of following-up on the Instant Match quotes so that the customers can have all our details. You say you think it's one of the most important things we can do. Please tell me what you think of the new option being offered to customers in certain categories that allows them to block follow-up messages. Thumbtack obviously thinks that brides and grooms are too easily confused by receiving follow-up quotes before they have contacted multiple pros. Why, then, do these same brides and grooms go straight to the Knot and Wedding Wire after trying Thumbtack, asking for detailed quotes? Why do these customers tell me that Thumbtack was useless to them and they won't use it again for their other wedding vendor needs? One bride told me that she wasn't concerned with price...she wanted details! She didn't realize when she put in her request and used the option to block follow-ups, that she would get absolutely NO useful information at all. She didn't get enough information to even be interested in contacting any of the pros and, as she said "There were way too many useless quotes and I was frustrated!" On the Knot, she was able to browse by location and get detailed information from officiants who were exactly what she was looking for, someone who was close, very open minded and non-judgmental, and understood how to work with a bride and groom who were from different cultures and religions. Nothing in the Thumbtack quotes she received seemed to address her needs. If she had been able to get her needs addressed through Thumbtack, she would have been thrilled to use it for all her vendors. Another bride used Thumbtack because her sister used it a few years ago and loved her experience...5 quotes from officiants who gave her all the information she needed to select the perfect one for her. When the new bride tried, she was overwhelmed by the sheer volume but was underwhelmed by the usefulness of the quotes. She went straight to WeddingWire and found me there, asked me for a detailed quote, liked my details and hired me. She wasn't interested in instant gratification...she was interested in finding details and waited almost 10 hours before hearing from me and hired me anyway. My experiences seem to fly in the face of what Thumbtack tells me customers what...lots of instant quotes with no information. I truly have had a wonderful experience with Thumbtack since I started in 2014, almost 300 hires and over 160 5 star reviews; I really do not want to delete my account because up until now, Thumbtack has been very, very good for me. I want to be happy with Thumbtack again so that I can sing its praises to other small business owners again. I don't want to be told that follow-up is the most important thing I can do and then have Thumbtack allow that option to be taken away from me. I'm sad I can't love Thumbtack any more!

Highlighted
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Hi again @PattyB6!

I just wanted to reply quickly and let you know that customers do not have the ability to block responses from pros - so your follow ups are still important. Nothing in that process has changed - customers have always had the ability to unsubscribe from Thumbtack emails, as is the case with most services... But specifically blocking pros from responding is not something they can do. Just wanted to clarify that for you!

And I just wanted to reiterate that all of this feedback is being heard and teams are working on improvements right now. Look for some updates in the very near future - and keep the discussion going, because all of this feedback goes in to those improvements.

I'm really happy you are still with us, and I know we will get there, together!

As always, you are welcome to direct message me if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

Dusti

0 Kudos
PattyB6
Level 6

@DustiO, you're wrong. I'm sorry to sound argumentative, but I was told by 2 other moderators that this option is now being offered. According to them, customers are confused by receiving quotes from pro they haven't messaged. This, of course, forces them to initiate contact. Add to that the fact that Thumbtack sends them multiple emails encouraging them to contact several pros and it starts to look like another money grab by TT.

When I go to look at my sent quotes, many of them now have the message "Waiting for customer to respond" where there should be the "Type message" box. There is ABSOLUTELY no way for me to follow-up...nothing, nada! I have been robbed of the ability to tell a customer why I am worth the fee I charge, which is never the lowest but seldom the highest either. However, it usually turns out to be the cheapest overall because it is  100% all inclusive instead of being a starting price + travel fees + special ceremony fees + readings fees, etc. This is what I receive:

Image-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@PattyB6 - These ones are a little different - these are customers who have seen your profile in an instant results setting - not customers that you have sent a quote to. But as far as customers that you send a quote to, they don't have the ability to block messages from you. Sorry for the confusion there! If they do decide to reach out to you, it means they have viewed your profile and are actively reaching out to you - and then at that point you would be able to message them as much as you want. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
PattyB6
Level 6

@DustiO, excuse me, but I thought that the idea of Instant Match was that it is sending a quote for me.  Does this mean that ONLY I am being blocked or that anyone else who came in as an Instant Match is blocked from following up unless they are contacted and pay a fee for that contact? Since I don't send quotes any other way than Instant Match, this makes no sense to me at all.  I guess the answer is to stop using Instant Match? 

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Sorry for the confusion, again! This is not the same as Instant Match. In some categories and areas customers are able to start searching for a project and see profiles pop up instantly. If they like what they see, they can reach out to you.

In these instances - When a customer starts a project on Thumbtack, we show them pros who might be a good fit. Customers can view your profile and send you a message directly when they like what they see. They can reach out to any pros they’re interested in, but they’ve told us it’s confusing to hear from a pro they haven’t contacted yet. Think of it this way: let’s say you wanted to find a restaurant for dinner, so you search for one on Google. What if restaurants in your search results started calling you? That’s how customers have told us they feel when they’re contacted before they reach out to a pro. 

Hope this helps! Again, feel free to message me, we can even set up a call if you'd like.

Thanks!

Dusti

0 Kudos
LB
Level 6

BLAHHHHHHHHH no thks

Qwksilver
Level 6

TT encourages customers to contact as many pros as possible. Lowering the rates to reflect # of contacts is appropriate since so many bids go out.

Adding to your statement about only 2 to 4 quotes before changes and now I see that with instant quote, many customers get 10 or more quotes instantly (overwhelming). TT may continue to grow, with a poor image from pros ( who could have been customers to other pros). Most of the higher quality pros WILL leave TT for other platforms. By changing TT's structure, it has opened the door for a new competitor to step in and fill the void TT left behind. TT should have stayed more pro friendly instead.

JennP
Level 4

I just off the phone with Thumbtack and Kelly didn’t resolve my issue or help at all.  They have created a situation where I’m being contacted directly by potential customers inquiring about availability when I’m booked during their requested time (I’m a LMT).  Also they are asking me about services that I don’t provide.   I should be able to contact them and not be charged $7 to tell them I’m booked or that I don’t do that service!  By my choosing to NOT respond, it looks like I’m ignoring the customer.  Also I’m afraid that someone will make a negative review of my business online about me not responding to them, which would be damaging to my business.  I would never NOT respond to a potential customer... Thumbtack has created a way for this to happen because they are charging to simply answer a question.  I requested my money back but they refused.  I’ve been a Top Pro for years on this platform and referred other business owners to it.  ... I would have never given them money for a service that work the way it does now.

Dan
Level 6

I agree with everybody except for the Thumbtack employee. Instant Match is terrible, and that’s an understatement. It makes the level of competition absolutely ridiculous and it has already resulted in less business for everybody. Well, everybody except Thumbtack. I didn’t like it from the beginning but I made a conscious decision to be open minded and give it a shot. And I did for a few days. It did not work for me at all. I kept getting “matched“ with requests that had little to do with my preferences. After only 2–3 days I stopped using it. I don’t even know why they call it instant match; it should be called instant mismatch.
Think about it:
1) You used to compete against 4 people; now you’re competing against 14 (yes, FOURTEEN) people (10 thru instant match, 4 more thru conventional bidding). What’s even more frustrating, is Thumbtack trying to convince you that instant match and 14 competitors are good news for you;
2) There is no match between customers’ requests and instant match qoutes. Is it by design? As a matter fact, there is so much mismatch that it will inevitably generate many unnecessary contacts on part of customers in order to clarify details of our quotes. And you get charged every time there is a contact. Is this why Thumbtack has been pushing instant match so hard?
3) You do get charged but you never know how much until after the fact. How appealing does that sound? Can you imagine us telling our clients a project will cost them anywhere between $500 and $1,000. Can you then imagine telling them you couldn’t tell them exactly how much it was gonna cost and then asking them for their credit card information. Do you think they would jump on it?
4) EACH LEAD IS UNIQUE AND CANNOT BE STANDARDIZED. It’s common sense. Why does Thumbtack refuse to recognize it?

The entire instant match talk is smoke and mirrors. The true problem lies with customers, read leads. It actually lies in the refusal on part of Thumbtack to qualify leads. A long time ago, I suggested that customers be qualified. Make them pay two, three or five dollars for filling out a request. When they hire a pro, that pro will reimburse them for the request cost. That would tell us the customers are real and mean business. What has Thumbtack done to improve the quality of leads?

Recommendations:

1) Qualify leads by charging them a small, reimbursable fee.

2) Protect pros from quasi pros by banning quotes lower than a customer’s stated budget range. For example, if a customer’s budget is between $300 and $500 a photographer cannot quote less than $300.

Thanks!