results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
ajacksphotos
Level 5

New system

**UPDATE** If anyone wants a breakdown of the current system vs the old system I just did a quick analysis of my 2018. I'll be completely transparent and tell you what I spent in quotes and what I earned just from Thumbtack leads alone this year (Jan. through April are on the old system, May through now on the new system).

Jan-April I spent $160 on quotes and my bookings from those leads brought in a total of $1,950
In May alone (new system) I spent $168 on leads and brought in a total of ZERO DOLLARS. Nothing.

Not one penny, not a single booking...and I strongly believe it's because of what my original post says below (about clients being bombarded with too many quotes are feeling overwhelmed and then not booking anyone) 

Just curious about everyone's thougts on the current system. I liked it so much better before and it's really NOT just because of the price to quote. That's part of it but not all. 

First, I hate that customers are getting bombarded with so many quotes now. As a consumer myself I would HATE receiveing so many quotes and then have to sift through them all myself to figure out who I was interested in. If I'm going to have to do that, why not just do a google search? I loved the model of only allowing 5 quotes to go through and truly beleive that custmers appreciated that too. 

Another issue is that we are no longer able to customize our quotes with a personal message. I feel that gave potential clients a GREAT first impression where as now they're just getting a bland/generic link to your profile, with a price slapped on it. Again, what are they having to do in this case? Their own research. They now have to go find your work, wonder what your quote actually includes, and reach out to have you answer questions (and then you in turn get charged $15-$20 in order to answer their questions and not get booked because they've gotten SOOOO many quotes they either get discouraged and overwhelmed and hire nobody, or they are just price shopping and hiring whoever is undercutting). 

Sending a personal message with my quotes allowed me to answer all of those FAQ's right when they got the quote so that they could then make an educated decision on whether or not they wanted to reach out and pursue further. So much easier and simpler for the client and the pro. Not to mention the time that was saved for me as a pro being able to use templates for my responses. 

When I get requests now, I always open the insights and very rarely do I see that more than one or two quotes was even viewed. I really believe these clients are overwhelmed with how many choices they're getting. 

Instant match is no better...I just really feel like the only one that's "winning" here is Thumbtack. If the format doens't dramatically improve, I'll be looking elsewhere for leads. I'm breaking the bank right now and not getting as many bookings! 

Occupations (1)
States
126 responses

Re: New system

I agree on too many quotes!   It's so overwhelming for a customer.  Also, if they reach out to 5 people, just in curiousity, is Thumbtack charging all 5 people for a "contact"?  It seems to me that Thumbtack would be profitting significantly more.    I also have gotten much fewer jobs since this new system was put in place.   Thumbtack used to be helpful in finding clients, but now I feel like not so much.  

PattyB6
Level 6

@Brinksindahouse, not only does Thumbtack get paid for every pro contacted by the same customer, TT actually encourages the customer to use the automates responses and to message several of the pros who quoted. I was told this by a customer who hired me because I sent her a detailed quote immediately after I saw that she had received my quote from Instant Match. She did not want to deal with messaging up to 15 pros and waiting until (or if) they decided to respond to her and then going back and forth with several just to get more info. I recently used my customer account to hire someone for a project and saw that she was correct...Thumbtack encouraged me to message several pros after I received 15 quotes with no useful information included. Perhaps this is why Thumbtack gives the customer only the most basic information in a quote...so the customer will be forced to contact us for real, pertinent info?

Troy
Level 6

That sounds spot on Patty!  They increased the prices for the Pro's to bid this year, removed the cap for how many pro's can respond to a customer, and I didn't realize it until I read your post, but TT is actually urging customers to respond to as many pro's as possible?  That's just kookiedooks (sorry, my daughter has watched Moana one too many times LOL).  

HobbitStudio
Level 5

I definitely don't like it that the customer cannot easily see more details from my profile in the quotes. It is often very clear when clients have not looked at my profile when they respond. It is especially true when they just pick one of those short simple stock responses. TT needs to get rid of those responses and should send more detailed quotes to each customer that explains our service , experience, and pricing. We should get to design the stock quote they are sending to clients with our pricing, like a template WE build. If we are paying we should have more control over what the customer is seeing before they make an initial contact.
Troy
Level 6

Brinksindahouse, yes, TT is getting paid for EVERY pro that is contacted by a customer.  Thus, why they have opene up the system to allow more than 5 pro's to respond.  They increased what they charge the Pro's this year, then take the 5 pro cap off for customers, so they massively increased their profit.  Although in the end, and I cannot speak for everybody, but I've pretty much stopped bidding close to 100% on TT until they fix it.  They have been price gouging and hiding behind the phrase, "It's a complex algorithm" and "There are a lot of comlpex variables the go into creating each bid", when I feel like the bid costs go up every time one of the executives want to buy a new house or new car.  I'm looking to build a business that I can use for passive income when I retire, not make the execs at TT retire in a few bids.

KJCUSTOM69
Level 5

I have STOPPED ALL bid requests for the last time. TT needs to FIX the qreed and go back to a fair system small time business can compeate. KJCUSTOM ELECTRIC Oh and don't say TT SU**S or they will remove all your replys.

Highlighted
Qwksilver
Level 6

We have decreased our business flow from TT to almost nothing, just enough to keep the the Top Pro badge. We no longer respond to canned questions that are on there, because of the pricing! $38+ to respond to availability or playlist samples. TT has a great ROI, but not us on this platform. We wil probably stop the instant quote soon and remove CC info. I have talked to alot of other pros and they are also beginning to not like the direction TT is going and are moving to other platforms as we are. We could have made TT our primary but pricing is just gotten out of line. Their system needs a complete reboot with fewer competing bids and lower rates per contact.

gdglass1
Level 5

"It's a complex algorithm" that only they undersatand.

That's what we call VOODOO Math.

Qwksilver
Level 6

The only reason an algorithm is used is to maximize profit by charging as much as possible.