results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: New system

May has been a complete dead end for my company on thumbtack.

These new fee's twist the knife as well.

I pick up my phone to bid,  and end up not bidding because I don't know who or how much I'm gambling.

Crazy.  Dunno how I'm gonna be able to fill gaps like I used to.

Dan
Level 6

Hi DCFGCatering 🙂,

I’m sorry to hear that but if it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. Nobody’s making any money. I’m not sure Thumbtack is making any money either. We will either have to ride out the storm until Thumbtack returns to the old system or look for other advertising avenues. I suggest you be proactive.
I know it’s frustrating. I’m a photographer. I keep getting better as a photographer, I keep buying more and more advanced equipment, my portfolio looks better and better, even my assistant keeps getting better and better, and I keep getting less and less work. It’s enormously frustrating. It’s a shame but Thumbtack seems to be in it only for themselves. It looks like they are not in it for long term. They look like a company that’s trying to inflate its earnings and value quickly in order to sell rather than forge long-term relationships with pros that would result in a slower yet steadier growth.
Don’t forget, it’s all about the quality of leads. At least in my niche—photography. Instead of setting up a system to qualify leads thumbtack tries to push 10 quotes instantaneously through Instant Match to every single lead as if 10 of us would jump on every single lead. And then you have to pay for contacts from a bunch of crappy leads. That’s one of the reasons. why Instant Match won’t work. It’s only a matter of time until Thumbtack realizes that.

Good luck!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone
Dan
Level 6

Hi DCFGCatering 🙂,

I’m sorry to hear that but if it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. Nobody’s making any money. I’m not sure Thumbtack is making any money either. We will either have to ride out the storm until Thumbtack returns to the old system or look for other advertising avenues. I suggest you be proactive.
I know it’s frustrating. I’m a photographer. I keep getting better as a photographer, I keep buying more and more advanced equipment, my portfolio looks better and better, even my assistant keeps getting better and better, and I keep getting less and less work. It’s enormously frustrating. It’s a shame but Thumbtack seems to be in it only for themselves. It looks like they are not in it for long term. They look like a company that’s trying to inflate its earnings and value quickly in order to sell rather than forge long-term relationships with pros that would result in a slower yet steadier growth.
Don’t forget, it’s all about the quality of leads. At least in my niche—photography. Instead of setting up a system to qualify leads thumbtack tries to push 10 quotes instantaneously through Instant Match to every single lead as if 10 of us would jump on every single lead. And then you have to pay for contacts from a bunch of crappy leads. That’s one of the reasons. why Instant Match won’t work. It’s only a matter of time until Thumbtack realizes that.

Good luck!

Dan

Just curious, after reading your update, have you had any bookings?   I sure haven't.   Instant match is turned off because I can't afford to be charged $18 for a two sentence exchange.  So the people I do reach out to, have still been quoted by 15 plus people.   Sorry but the last time I had the option of 15 plus, my brain checked out and I was done.   You spent more money in one month with no jobs, but Thumbtack will tell you those contacts are more valuable.  This whole thing has been such a pain, it's really sad for people who used Thumbtack primarily for clients.   

DCFGCatering
Level 8

My company spent 458 dollars this month
We got 1 solid event for October (we think)

The rest went dark or never even response at all.

It’s frustrating
Dan
Level 6

I’m sorry to hear that. It sucks. It sucks for everybody.
On a lighter note, make sure you get your deposit for that October job 🙂.
ajacksphotos
Level 5

I booked one this past weekend but still really not worth it to me...I've already been charged $40 this month (and it's only June 5th!) with one booking...even if I book one every week...I am not okay with paying $20 to communicate with a potential lead who may or may not book. Just not practical. 

Dan
Level 6

I still get a booking here and there but by the time I pay Thumbtack, which is my largest expense by the way, the assistant, and cover other costs, there’s almost nothing left.
Cesc
Level 4

Pricing

I agree with most of the pro who have left a comment. This new pricing system just sucks. We are at a disadvantage financially because we have no clue how much we will be charged for a certain quote. I think they need to go back to the old system where you decide to quote or not to quote. I personally disabled instant match.
Fnourani
Level 4

The new pricing

Unfortunately I have stopped quoting through Thumbtack, because it is to our disadvantage.  I used to quote all the time with the old credit method and found good clients.  Now I have stopped because I can't afford to pay $40.00 for one contact who wants to get a price estimate and make their wedding budget using my information.