results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Mariposakim
Level 4

Old format

I’ve been with Thumbtack for five years. I’ve received top pro that last two sessions. Here’s my gripe: I don’t like the new system. I prefer to communicate in real time, and I miss the personal touch I was able to give in my quotes. I enjoyed reading the requests and responding to them in my own voice. I usually got the gig too. I hate the way it is now. Sadly, I don’t think TT cares at all how we all feel. I’ve yet to see one person say anything positive about the new system. All I can hope for is another company picking up on this and giving us all another option.
Occupations (1)
26 responses
DJStevie
Level 11

Re: Old format

@Mariposakim 

I understand what you are saying as I'm personable as well As far as I've been told by the moderators and other reps, the old system isn't coming back for whatever reason.  I had alot of success with the old system as well, it's still there for now. I know because I'm using it at the moment.  Mind you, Myself and other Pros have given suggestions how to improve the new system, hopefully we can see something soon.

Moderator Kameron

@Mariposakim I understand how important it is to be able to make a strong first impression. Through the search results, you still get a chance to make that great impression, but now that starts with your profile. When customers search for a pro on Thumbtack, they can read your reviews, the introduction you've written, look at the photos you’ve shared, and generally get to know your business before they reach out. After they've contacted you, you'll still have the opportunity to give a great personalized message in your first response. As well you can still see jobs that you may be interested in through the Jobs Tab and send those customers a quote like you were doing before.

0 Kudos
cthomas117
Level 4

All of this sounds great. But as I see it in my short time with TT, most seem to want a quote yet they dont begin to give enough information to give an accurate quote.
I'll take a chance on some leads, by asking specific questions in an effort to gather more information and, often times, the customer quits responding. This turns out to be a complete waste of money.

How about when the customer directly contacts you, you respond and they disappear; this turns out to be a waste of money.

Yesterday, I had a potential customer contact me wanting 2 cameras and 10 windows secured. That was all the information he gave yet he wanted a quote. I suggested a site survey in order to see the nature of the installation and the he fed me.more information. Ultimately, I told him I could give him a soft quote, but without a site survey, I'd be doing both of us a disservice.

I guess the moral of my story is, why would I continue to pay for leads under the conditions and blindly hope for the best. In my experience, paying for lead has resulted in very little.

And as I think about it, I followed a lead for Structured Cabling job and after exchanging a few messages with the potential customer, he said I.wasnt.a good fit for the job. I send him links to projects that clearly showed I was a great fit for the job. Essentially, he wanted.his home pre-wired for voice, data and video. One of the projects was a $525,000 home with voice, data, video, home automation and an irrigation system. Another project I shared was a luxury apartment complex that had 301 units. I shared with him that I was awarded the project because 4 previous contractors were unable to satisfy the builder. I had 176 units to complete from start to finish as well as completing units that were already started. This was also a pre-wire for voice, data and video. I was a perfect fit for the job.

I'll exit my soapbox, but at this point, TT has not been a good value for me.
tlcsews
Level 1

I also agree that the pricing has become so ridiculous for small jobs, I cannot even reply, or have a disussion with the client.

I have also had to pay to discuss bridal aletration pricing with persons not even looking for someone in my area just to get a feel for pricing.  I may never get a paying job for any of it,. I amn seriously thinking of pulling out of the system/

Ayhan
Level 5

But if I give a great personalized message in my first responseI, I pay the fee immediately! After that new system, I had some request as "are you available" and I answered "yes I am" that is it. After that question, even there is no any responses, no any questions I pay every time! thumbtack charged me for any this type connection! I completely don't understand, if they choosed me and if they asked me if I am available, why I pay even they don't reply anymore? I think thumbtack need to refund for this situation! At the Old system, I could accept that maybe clients don't like my job or my quote or my messages, but for new system they choosed me.
Powerhouse
Level 4

What Happened

Apparently I'm not the only person saying this but what happened to Thumbtack. Was honestly one of the more user friendly lead generation platforms out there until the change. I use to get lots of leads, now... none. So much better when you could personalize an estimate and send. Yes there was some dumb leads at times but that was on the people requesting, not the system. Thumbtack has literally driven me to Homeadvisor which I have left because they have horrible customer service to now Angie's List which is nice but pretty expensive. Come on Thumbtack, get you act together. You had a great platform.

Moderator Kameron

Re: What Happened

@Powerhouse Like I mentioned through the search results, you still get a chance to make that great impression, but now that starts with your profile. As well you can still see jobs that you may be interested in through the Jobs Tab and send those customers a quote like you were doing before. If you're not seeing as many direct contacts as you'd like to, feel free to reach out to me in a direct message and we can go through your profile to see what adjustments can be made to drive more customer responses.

0 Kudos
michaelteak
Level 5

Kameron, you don't seem to understand, or be willing to accept, what us pros are saying.  When we say we want to make a good impression, we don't mean we want to sound like a nice, good business.  We mean we need to show that we understand exactly what this particular customer needs that is unique to their situation, and show that we can give them exactly what they want.  Not in general terms, but in specific, unique terms.  One size does not fit all.  Not all clients need or want a generic commodity.  Client's needs are different and many of us customize the experience, as well as our fees , depending on what each client needs.  How can we show we are a perfect fit for each client in our profile without diluting it all by just being a generic jack-of-all-trades?  We want to give personal service, we want to be hired because we show we best fit our client's SPECIFIC needs.  The profile does NOT enable us to do that.

DJStevie
Level 11

@michaelteak 

Well said!! I've said the same thing over and over again, about how every customer is different. And if we put everything in our profile, what are the odds that every customer reads each profile in its entirety?