Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
GrampysMagic
Level 7

Re: One example of the new "improved" system

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat.  

"Currently for Magician, a typical customer contact costs around $13, and a contact will never cost more than $43"

WTF is THAT!  I used to pay about $4.00 per quote.  That relates to an increase of between 80 and 250% !!!!!!!  How can they justify that???  I have been very happy with TT and have been a Top Pro for the last 3 years now, but I think I'm DONE with TT. 

Mike
Level 6

New system sucks

Solved! Jump to solution

So my business is Adair’s Window Cleaning & Pressure Washing.  Not only do I have to set a minimum budget of $25 a week for window cleaning. I have to set another $25 a week  just for the pressure washing side of my business.

That will be $50 a week minimum. Or $200 a month minimum just to receive quotes. (0-9)  Yes!!! 0 to 9 quotes. So they are telling me even if I do not receive any quotes I’m still going to be charge a $50 a week. (0-9 quotes)  but I could get up to 9 quotes a week. lmfao!!!!!! 

The old way I paid $6.00 to quote any job. (Windows or pressure washer )  I could have quoted up to 6 jobs a week (for either side of my business)  And it would have cost me $24 for the week.

Two weeks ago,  I paid $25 for 1 pressure washing lead.  The week before that I paid $25 for a guy to tell me he was going to hire somebody else on the very first call. So that’s $50 for two weeks and I only quoted 3 jobs and I only got hired once.  Last week I paid $35 and received two leeds. Got 1 job. 

Also they instant match me to a lead 55 miles from my house.  But the lead that was 8 miles from my house they didn’t instant match me with, so I lost that job. ( by the time I realized it ,, they already sent out five quotes from other pros)  I called and asked why and they gave me some reason why.. 

No,  I did not set a budget for window cleaning. This new system, I can’t even quote for window cleaning leeds.  because of the price per quote. This new system is stupid and soon I’m not going to be quoting pressure washing jobs either. 

Thank you for letting me get getting this off my chest!!!!  

Yours truly former thumbtack pro......................................

missannienow
Level 9

Re: New system

Solved! Jump to solution

I will give yet nother example of how the new system has failed almost all of us.

I clean residences. I am good at what I do. In my part of Florida, I can only charge $20 an hour and even have to sometimes DROP that price just to stay busy.

Because of the New TT, I seldom get jobs here now. Why? Because it costs too darn much. This past week, I did send a quote to a woman. She lives 40 minutes North of me, kind of a long drive on $20 per hour. She responded and after several phone calls, we arranged for me to clean her home today and then every other week. I will tell you that she seemed kind of weird, repeating herself and she gave me very poor directions to her home. Okay. I get there. Within less than 10 minutes her husband told me to move my car so he could get out. Okay, I did that and went back to cleaning. What I found IMMEDIATELY was that the home had not been cleaned in perhaps a year or more, except for the kitchen counters. THEY were clean. The flooring, all of it was filthy. 

Okay. I worked like a sled dog for 4 hours and finally got the entire house dusted, vacuum, mopped and shined up. I was proud of my work.The woman had nothing to say except that I should clean the AC outlet. Okay, I did. Even though this isnt routine cleaning. She wrote me a check and we discussed my next visit there, which should have been in two weeks, but they were going on a cruise!

I got home and had this sinking feeling. I am a pretty good judge of people. And I was right. I will NOT be cleaning their home again, for no good reason I know of.

Now, it certainly is not TT's fault there are deranged customers out there! LOL! But all of this huge effort on my part probably cost me a LOT of MONEY. I am so tired I dont even want to figure that out....I would just get more annoyed.

IF TT still allowed us to write potential customers a personal notice along with our quote, this might not have happened. I can usually tell by someones response to my personal message if they have "issues" or not. I know what to say to people, based on what they say in their request. Not being able to do this has hurt my business so much. And it seems that TT could EASILY fix that one small issue. NOT ALL BUSINESSES ARE ALIKE. DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU DO, PRICING STRUCTURES AND MANY OTHER THINGS, YOU MAY BE LIKE ME, NEEDING TO TAILOR YOUR QUOTES TO FIT THE JOB. 

And charging people like me SO much per quote just about does us little guys in totally.

Notinsured
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

It's called blind pricing. I just made that up but that's what it seems to be. I've been told several things for me, including what the Mod said. I have ONE price for my service as it stands. I get charged depending on how the client contact takes place. So if the client throws out into the ring they need someone for a job and we go after it (bid) and the customer responds, we get charged one price. If the customer chooses US, and we respond, we get charged a different rate. I was also told it varies by distance, zip code and some other random BS. I have been with TT for just over one year and the prices have almost DOUBLED. I cannot put that kind of an increase onto the customer. Not a 30% increase, not a 20% increase. 

As I said, my location has not changed. My price has not changed. I don't go to them, they come to me. So distance should not matter. Zip code should not matter. Contact is contact. Charging more for competition is a little diabolical, but that's business. 

Jstud
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Broken business practice where TT makes more than the pros on the jobs where we are not even hired.  Perfect example the average quote on this job was $150 and pros were charged $18.68 netting us $131.  They contacted 7 pros!!!  They made TT $130.76 and not one pro was hired... now imagine they contacted all 15 pros where some do... netting TT $280... totally broken.... who needs to contact 15 pros to find a reputable business.  He asked me a simple question about was my quote right as it seemed low... of course it was right... not a peep back from him after. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 9.18.00 AM.png

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@Notinsured you're correct in that prices have gone up. However, that pricing change came with only paying when the customer responds to your quote. I can see on your account that since the 11th there have been 49 quotes sent out from your account with 9 responses. If you'd sent 49 quotes before on the old system that would have been close to $245 in total. Instead on the new system, you only paid for those 9 responses which came out to $203 in total. On the new system, you're paying less than before to acquire a new contact. 

With that said there is some work to be done to make sure prices are correctly aligned as Jason mentioned in his post about pricing HERE.

As for zip code, this is more to calculate the amount of competition in the area. If there is a greater amount of pros in the area that offer the same service the cost could be more. Versus an area with a low amount of pros, the cost may be lower. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kschilling
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

You are so right Joan!!! My cleaning services are more detailed, not your average maid, run in, run out maid service!! Therefore my quotes are usually the highest quote. I am so disappointed in Thumbtack as a whole, I've been with them for 5 years or better they were my bread and butter. NOW, rhey are my downfall!!! I can no longer send a personalized quote to the customer so I have made my introduction as specific as possible to insure that that they know why my quote is a bit higher than your average cleaner. However, they only get through the price quoted they don't read profiles anymore or all the way through my introduction, if they even open my quote?? thanks Thumbtack for screwing everything up for the exceptional pros, I was left a 1 star review because a customer didn't like my quoted price. Now I never spoke to this customer personally not on the phone in person or worked for this man. He actually marked me hired to give me this review, which is a lie never worked for him!!! And Thumbtack let this review stay online and refused to remove it, this is getting ridiculous!!! I've already spent a fortune on other advertising and and seriously considering moving to Homeadvisor, at least I'd know what it was gonna cost me and know they were viable leads. I could factor that cost into my quote. I shouldn't have to lower my standards just to get a job!!! Also, allowing 15 pros to bid a job is way to many for the customer first and foremost and then the pro too, I get undercut by sub-par maid services who bid low just to get the job!!!!! You can not possibly clean 5 houses in a day and do them correctly, no way!! Come on Thumbtack bring it back to good!!!! Before you lose all the good pros.

0 Kudos
missannienow
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

Kschilling,

You have said it right. I am not a run in run out maid. I offer personalized cleaning services plus cat sitting. I used to be able to pick and choose which Requests seemed to fit MY business, and then tailor my quote to fit the job. 

Most of the very few people who have contacted me via TT had not read my profile. In my intro I believe I mention some critically important things, such as my also being an RN and a cat person. I will go back and make sure this is true, because you are so right, most do not read past one's Intro. 

I have found with house cleaning that most people (except some wealthy folks) look for a decent price. Most also have sortof specific cleaning goals, things they dont like doing or simply cant do. 

The most I could do iin one day is one "long" cleaning (4 hours, normally) and one short one. It is a physical job, but also one that requires intelligence because you have to fogure out the most logical way to clean any house. This depends on the floor plan, what sorts of floors there are and other factors. I have gotten quite good at this. It usually takes me 3 cleanings to get the most efficient plan for that home.

I happen to enjoy cleaning. I get visible results. That appealed to me as a nurse, too!

Kschilling
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Missannienow,
Thank you for responding to my comment. You are so right I too am a deep cleaner and have a very specific listing that I work off, it is quite through. I too enjoy cleaning. I love the look on the homeowners face when I'm finished or the results I see when finished with the job. And you are so correct about this being a very physical job!! I have never dreaded my job and have always awoken to "great another work day" but now I find myself with a little dread because I know that what that clean is costing me, sometimes 50% of my charge to the customer the first time in, and of course my blood, sweat and tears too!!! Too Thumbtack!! It infuriates me to no end. The cleaning companys like us are far and few between and your specialities like cat sitting are in addition to our cleaning. Good luck, I hope things work out for you and I not even sure I'm gonna work with TT anymore. I'm trying to decide now what to do, your input is most helpful! Thank you.
traynorpiano
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I thought we could send a quote for "free".  I have two requests, but Thumbtack won't let me send my quotes without a valid credit card on file.  I took my credit card off the site when money was flying out of my bank account.  I don't understand why they won't let me send the "free" quote.  It's not a free quote if I can't send it.  Also, I have a credit with Thumbtack that would cover at least one reply from a client.  Moderator, please don't tell me that "they are working on this".  That's a non-answer.

0 Kudos