Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Joan
Level 6

One example of the new "improved" system

Solved! Jump to solution
I am NOT a happy camper.  

Day before yesterday, I knew exactly how much it would cost me to send a quote for a service. Today, I can send the quote for free...but I have no idea what it may cost me if the person decides to respond. That is some magical number that only the Great Oz @Thumbtack knows and has declared "reasonable".  Apparently I am not ____ {responsible? mature? intelligent? competent?} enough to be trusted with that information in advance.

What little information available on the website is even more confusing.  Here is what it sounds like from my end:

I send a quote (free) to Fred for resume writing.

Fred responds. This may cost me $19...or it may cost a different amount, potentially up to $41 dollars. I don't know how much it will cost until you charge me (after the fact)

But yesterday, for me to send Fred a quote was $6 - so even if it is "only" $19, it feels like you just tripled the price overnight. The gap between $19 and $41 is a pretty big gap.  

Let's assume that Fred does book a service. That's $75. so I am now going to pay between 25% - 54% of that to Thumbtack??? And that does not take into account any overhead, supplies, etc.  That is insane! 

Right now I am upset at what seems to be an arbitrary gouging of your service providers, with little to no warning.  I will not be sending any quotes (at any price) for a while until I see how this looks once the dust settles. 

Occupations (2)
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Kameron

Re: One example of the new "improved" system

Solved! Jump to solution

@Joan since your post there have been a few updates. One of them was showing prices to pros up front when manually quoting under the customer's name on the "learn more" link. You can find the update announcement and thread HERE. Keep in mind that this will not apply to services with Promote on. 

0 Kudos
51 responses
Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for bringing this up @Joan, I'm sure you aren't the only pro who is dealing with this. I get that not know that price upfront is frustrating and this new system is something we're working on. The cost of a contact varies based on the value of the job and the way the customer contacts you. For example, a message asking about discounts should cost less than if the customer calls you. Due to this variation in cost, there is not a way to set a price upfront when we don't know how a customer is going to contact you.  To have control of your spending, you have your weekly budget. You’re able to raise or lower it based on what works for you and we’ll never go over the amount you set. You can see how to set your budget here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/set-my-budget.
Thanks for contributing to the community, I hope this helps. 

Joan
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

"Setting my budget" controls the overall costs - but does nothing towards allowing me to make an informed decision BEFORE I am charged. That is simply not acceptable way of doing business.

Do you honestly imagine I could just say to my potential client: "hire me to provide XYZ services and I will bill you what I think is a reasonable amount based on the degree of difficulty, specialized knowledge, etc." 

Joan
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

On 5/29 - I was sending quotes and being charged for them.

On 5/30 - I was not sending quotes due to the changes in the system. I was also in the forums here seeing that everyone else is having the same issues abnd confusion.

On 5/31 - I got an email explaining that "Changes are Coming Soon"

This is a huge customer service fail! 

It is compounded in my case because I am relatively new to TT. I am still learning how it works, if it works, and how it might fit into my overall business. I am left with frustration, confusion, and a complete loss of what little trust I had in TT. 

As a small business coach, I am always looking for new tools to help other small business owners...even if I continue to use TT myself, it will take a lot for TT to earn back enough trust for me to feel comfortable reccommending it to my clients.  

jamiemosberg
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I have also stopped recommending this as it is truly frustrating to be robbed every day by this new system. I have turned off Instant Match and now my qoutes are at the bottom of an already too long list of 10 IM quotes. I went from getting 2-3 jobs per week from TT to none as a "Top Pro". Nice Work TT! Truly gone to the side of profitabilty...SAD

Solved! Jump to solution
I am Top Pro also. That used to mean that our quotes would get put at the top of the list. Now Top Pro doesn't mean much. I turned off instant match. I have to pass on a lot of jobs that are outside of the normal driving distance for LA traffic.
I manually "based on my templates. I then go back and click "View Competition" to see if any other pro sent a quote or was contacted. And I send a follow-up message to their potential customer. It's more work now, but sometimes they bite. It's still a crapshoot to get a customer, I'm still in the game.
HUGO
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi, Mbarlow - Moderator... this is ridiculous because I made a test and the test, Thumbtack sends quote just values hight .. $ 100 dollars for 3 quotes..., not sound good.

Thumbtack look in making more money and not helping a lot of business work.

It is regrettable to say, more if we partners do not say, we are just putting money in something that is not giving us return.

Thank you for listening and trying to solve it.

onecall2
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Q. who determines prices of a given job

Q. how do we get an exact price list

Q. when we tell CS that they where shoping for the future

or making a wish list, How do we get a refund, 

My recent experience,, you don't, TT dosn't care, we contractors LIE

Customers DON"T

BVDBILL
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I noticed that your "moderation" dropped off as soon as there was a challenge to your comment. And for good reason. Setting a budget when the pricing is unfairly appointed based on what Thumbtack thinks an "average" job should produce is ludacris at best! Since reading all of these comments, and I mean hundreds, about the new structure I began researching my last dozen charges! I was charged $23.10 for a job that produced $75 yesterday just because it fell under the "TV mounting" category. That's over 30% of my income TT has taken along with any other contractor that may not have gotten the job at all. This needs to be addressed immediately and fixed. TT needs to get a panel of professionals together and reach a solid agreement as to how charges should be handled. One of my quotes was never responded to, then the message that they hired someone else appeared and I was still charged $23.10! These are the tactics Home Advisor began using and is exactly why I quit using them! Make some serious changes quickly or I'm afraid TT is getting ready to lose a lot of sources. You can not ignore the hand that feeds you! Bill Hughes, Bill's Video Design

Moderator Jordan

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @BVDBILL pricing is being addressed. Our product team has created the next step: showing prices upfront to some of our pros. It is the first version of this update and it's currently only available to a small percentage, but it's progress. I understand it's difficult when things don't change right away, just know we’re working hard to make this available to all of our pros soon. As for the $23 charge for the person who never responded and hired someone else.... the only time you should be charged is the first time a customer writes you about the project, schedules an appointment, or marks you as hired. If they didn't do any of those things, you shouldn't have been charged. I'm not seeing this on your account either. Want to send me a private message with the name of the person who didn't response that you were charged for? More than happy to look into it!

0 Kudos