Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
EBDLLC
Level 1

Re: Outrageous cost

AMEN Kneel, I just spent spent over an hour on the phone with Customer Support for an explanation of why my cc was charged triple the amounts displayed to submit a quote. I was told that the fees are based on criteria such as location, pros in the area and other non-relevant info. How can they charge me based on a conversation that in most cases is just to answer questions that the client may have for clarity before actually hiring a pro. Currently I am out $40 for 3 conversation and no firm commitments from any clients.
Thumbtack needs to do something because “one size does not fit all”.
I’m trying to stay loyal after 5 years but may have to rethink using them.
I’m an event planner/decorator so I guest they are sticking it to all pros.
kneel
Level 6

...thanks for your comment. As I have stated, I'm not removing my bio yet. -Using Angie's List might just turn out to be a good idea for many of us!?  If Corporate makes no changes real soon, all bets are off!

Highlighted
Moderator Jordan

@kneel thanks for taking the time to write this all out and for sticking around through these changes. I'd love some clarification:

You wrote "many of us are now having to pay if a potential client simply contacts us - without ever hiring!" This is correct not just for the current model, but for the old model as well. We're here to make the connection and getting hired has always been in the hands of professionals. The difference now is: before you were paying to send out every single quote regardless if the customer reached out versus now your info goes out for free and you're only paying for the people who reach out.

A contact from a customer is more expensive. The reason is simple: People who reach out to you are more likely to turn into paying customers. They’re not just glancing at your quote and moving on, so they cost more. But since quoting is now free, the cost often evens out. Most pros end up paying about the same or less with Instant Match.

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

Please please. When TT continues to try and convince me that the reason they justify the triple cost is because now the customer is more likely to hire you if they contact you - - what? How is it different than before? How is the customer more “valuable” now? Doesn’t make sense. They are LESS likely to even contact me now because I went from a 1 out of 5 chance to get contacted to a 1 in 15 chance. Please tell me that my odds are better with that fact? You can’t. It’s a fact the odds have changed and the price tripled. What specifically has TT done that has made this customer more valuable now if they contact me - to justify TT increasing the rate triple. I’ve looked at the insights and some customers contact 2 or 3 people out of those 15 quotes. Who’s that good for? I’m seeing way less videographer jobs too. And then when one shows up I can’t get in to make quote or I’m quote #14 - that’s why I refuse to use instant match. I still look at the incoming requests but very rarely quote anymore. And with instant match I come in as #12-14. That’s not fair. TT has made it that you have to do Instant Match just to hope to be in the top three of four quotes. My business has too many variables to “match”. I am more inclined to go with TT gets paid ONLY if we get hired. Maybe 5-8% of what ever the customer posted as their budget. Because that’s the cost a business should spend on advertising. Within that range. Google it. My business status with TT has significantly dropped off. My stats show that. I’ve told people not back off TT for now - I don’t refer anymore - I’m staying hopeful that things will change and I can start being successful again with TT. Because now - Instant Match, more people allow to quote one person, triple price - - those are not positive changes for my business or to sustain the success I’ve had with TT. I did an event last weekend and a TT photographer was there and they too - hate it. I hired a TT electrician - he is now stopped using TT. A friend of mine up north just contacted me yesterday who recently joined TT and already not happy. ..... please share success stories of actual TT pros that are happy. Because I am not getting that. I went to the mixer here in LA last month and 95% of the 70 or so there were unhappy. The wall of “suggestions” proved that. I witnessed myself a room full of TT pros not happy. I hope your team realized that fact. So when TT keeps saying all these reasons why it’s better - - - well - - - triple cost??? Really? There is no way you will ever say anything that will convince me of that. I’m stats prove it as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some significant changes soon!

Keeping my fingers crossed that TT stops running tv ads that make TT look like home improvement only - what about creative people or other professions you represent? Really disappointed ....
kneel
Level 6

...Understand your response, however, the charge or penalty as I would put it, is far too expensive / cost-prohibitive! With the old system, I would pay a few $'s to submit several quotes to potential clients. They never approached this huge amount, which additionally, seemes to vary between responses to my quotes? I'm referring to one quote in the new system as compared to several in the old plan.  I paid less for several! 

I believe many of your Pro's may now be putting quotes on hold? At least, I am ... until I see some sensable revamping of this new pricing. As I previously stated: for only one quote and one response from an interested client, I was charged $17 and my fee is only $45 per hour! AND, I WASN'T EVEN HIRED !  You do the Math!

showphile
Level 6

Ugh!! TT, you guys REALLY believe it makes sense to charge a service provider when a customer contacts them? It baffles me!

When an entity is hired to act as a broker for a service provider, a broker advocates for and helps promote that service provider. There is ACTUAL VALUE to a broker in that capacity, but STILL the broker only collects when a contract is signed.

TT, you do none of this!!! You COULD, but instead, you've created bots to shove automatic bids down customers' gullets. Right now, all you, TT, do is provide another place to house an online profile. That's all. But instead of accepting that truth, somebody in your office came up with the plan to sell pros on the "value" of contact info from untried, unverified customers. Ridiculous!

When we know how good you are at bot creation, would customer creation be that much of a stretch? The numbers of duplicate charge complaints in these forums reek of TT bot foulups.

I can't stand reading the moderators' responses any more because you sound either like you're unbelievably ignorant or you think we are.
Deborah306
Level 7

WRONG. the quoting is not free nor are the customers reaching out when they just ask a quick quesiton because your request form is not helpful.

dylanjblake
Level 4

I totally agree that Thumbtack should charge only if you get hired and not if a customer contacts you. I usually pretty good about about browsing job leads on here and I always see a few jobs each day where 2 or more pros have been contacted. So I would guess that Thumbtack is making out pretty well with the way things are at the moment. I'm currently a little salty that a customer contacting me the other day cost me $20. Person told me they wanted to talk and asked when a good time would be to talk and since then they've ghosted me. Also, is any way to see how much a contact is going to cost? I'm send all my quotes without using Instant Match and find it annoying that I can't see how much it costs until my card is charged.

Moderator Kameron

@dylanjblake Currently you won't know the cost of a contact until the customer reaches out. To be in control of your spending we recommend using your weekly budget. You can also check the QA section on that same budget page under "How much do I pay?" and see the average/top cost per contact under that category.

Giving you a better sense of what you’ll be charged has been a priority for us and we have some good news to share: we just started showing prices up front to some of our pros. Some pros will now be able to see the price they’ll pay if a customer contacts them before these pros actually decide to send a quote.

This is our first version of this update. It’s still a work in progress and we’re working hard to make this available to all of our pros soon.

0 Kudos
JCF
Level 4

I think it's hugely valuable to be able to see what we would pay "if" the lead connects - however, I'm in the process of responding to an opportunity and I'm not able to see this information?  you mention "some" pros - when will all "pros" have access to this info - Im not sure I understand the point of limited access - everyone benefits from this information.  

0 Kudos