Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
missannienow
Level 9

Re: Ridiculous cost per contact

Me, too revbrian. Warned, even though I am always careful how I word things. 

This situation is HURTING a lot of people, TT.

missannienow
Level 9

Re: Ridiculous cost per contact

Because I recently lost several good customers, I have started to send quotes again. Yesterday  I sent one and it cost me about $30! This is crazy high for someone who makes 15 to 20 an hour. Please, Thumbtack....give us a break here. This IS outrageously high.

Re: Has anyone been contacted by HomeGuide, a copycat of thumbtack?

Ya I really dont get the pricing structure on Thumbtack. We just simply stopped using the platform when it got so expensive just to send a quote. We signed up for Homeguide, if it is a legit company and they can simply copy thumbtack then great! It will be a few years before they reach critical mass and start charging crazy prices. 

DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: Has anyone been contacted by HomeGuide, a copycat of thumbtack?

Haven’t gotten a job in a month

i used to be on fire.
yeeditor
Level 5

Re: Attention Book Editors

I started out paying a little over $6 to quote. It then went to more than $13. Now it's $39? If that's truly the case, I can't work with Thumbtack any longer.  I also work with another source, where it costs me only $5 monthly to place an ad. I've already gotten more responses in a week from there than I have from Thumbtack in two months, and for a lot less money. Your new fees might be acceptable if I were the only editor involved, but that's not the case. It means I would have to compete for multiple requests, with no assurance of winning any, and I simply can't afford that. With the typical project running between $300 and $500, about half of it or more would be taken up by fees. That's just not a viable situation.

Jim O

Deborah306
Level 7

Re: Attention Book Editors

I'm an editor as well. It does indeed seem to be truly the case. 

CindyKenney
Level 5

QUOTING and PRICES

Hi!

Long time Pro, but very inactive due to a busy previous schedule. Now that I'm back, I see the new way to "quote" by setting a budget. I thought you could still send a quote without doing that???? Am I wrong? If so, how? Every time I want to send a quote, it tells me I have to set a budget.

Which brings me to another question. Is everyone really tolerating those prices???? If someone answers my bid, it will cost me $75!!!!!! That doesn't even mean I get the job! And in all of my lines of work - you really need to discuss things and get to know if you are the right fit for the Pro! (Seems reasonable in most fields - but maybe not all.) Anyway, how can I possibly afford that????? I'll blow my budget at 1/3 of a quote!  CRAZY!!!!! 

So that brings me back to can I quote without using their new system? I have money in my account, so I'd like to use it up. 

Last question. I provide 4 services. On one of them, instead of it showing my bidding letter that I have created, it just shows my profile and no opportunity to provide a letter! How can I change that? I don't know what's going on with that! It used to work fine. Clueless as to what has happened.

I know I don't sound very upbeat, but I'm hugely disappointed with this service. It's the one place I actually thought I could find some ACTUAL, real work. I am a VERY experienced pro, but with huge budget constraints. This new system is nuts, if you ask me. It's great if you've been doing it a while and maybe you are somehow getting jobs right and left. But I'll never get started at those fees. 

Can anyone help me with these issues? Thanks sooooo much!

Cindy

revbrian
Level 8

Re: QUOTING and PRICES

@CindyKenney "Is everyone really tolerating those prices???? If someone answers my bid, it will cost me $75!!!!!!"

No, many Pro's with business experience are not tollerating it. A significant number of us are leaving TT or at the very least least are lowering our use. We were told that we'll only get charged if a potential customer sent a reply to an automatic quote and at first we had the option to refuse the reply and not get charged but that is now gone, so we have zero control over what we pay for. It's nuts.

What's worse is that the Instant Match system is way less flexible than under the old system. I used to choose what clients I sent a quote to and that was great - I could adjust my quote amount and tailor the form of words in the uote to match the job exactly. Now all that flexibility is gone. Ph yes, and the cost per qote? If they tell you what it is before you send the quote, it's now three times what it used to be. 

Just look at some of the other threads in this community and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who actually likes Instant Match, unless they work for TT or are moderators on here and defending it. Sorry guys, it just doesn't ring true.

To answer your question, set your weekly budget to zero and Instant Match will turn off at the start of the next weekly cycle (TT call it 'paused'). 

Good luck.

CindyKenney
Level 5

Hi Brian!

Thanks so much for your great response! I actually got a real answer!!!! I so appreciate it. Any other good places to find work that you can recommend? Or will that get pulled from our posts?  Smiley Wink  

Thanks again!

Cindy

I'm sorry moderators - but this new system is HORRIBLE and truly EVERYONE believes it to be so. PLEASE READ MY RESPONSE to the moderator on this post for some reasoning on this.

HansenJC
Level 10

@revbrian  I had never thought of setting my budget to Zero. I did try the pause and it forced me to either lie about my reason by answering their question about "Why do you want to stop sending quotes?" So after I could not honestly answer the question with one of their stock answers, (I just wanted to take a week off) this forced me to contact support. Even a Live Support person asked me for an answer. I refused and asked her if she is expected to lie to her boss to get a day off.

She finally put IM on pause without an answer. I am sure she will get her knuckles wrapped with a wooden ruler for helping me.

Had they simply given us a free-form field in which we could write the truth, I would have written: "I want to take a few days off." Why must Thumbtack make this business so hard? The Live Chat lady suggested that I do this by using the Calendar feature. (This is after another Live Chat person had told me that I could use Pause.) The Calendar is a LOT more work than simply setting Instant Match to Pause. And setting my budget to Zero might not change it till the next week. I wanted to take tomorrow off. It feels like they are intent on creating an environment where the only Pros that will stay are the ones who LOVE the pain. Isn't that what social engineers are paid to do? Suggest ways of creating an addiction? I am getting ready to kick the habit.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections