Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Anamrt
Level 5

Overpriced

Hello, im seriously amazed at how high the cost of useless quotes became on Thumbtack. Its useless to charge $33 to wedding coordinators, if we dont ger hired, obviously Thumbtack feeds itself on our savings. We can see who is the winner here, us pros have nothing to gain.

States
119 responses
Highlighted
Moderator Kameron

Re: Overpriced

@Anamrt thanks for posting. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback about pricing. Would you be willing to share the amount that you feel would be fair for us to charge in that type of scenario? We're always adjusting prices and working to determine what is fair, be sure to check out our Q&A wrap up about pricing HERE.

Keep in mind that Thumbtack is a marketing platform. Pros are all being shown to customers for free and what you pay for is a lead and chance to sell yourself. Hires are never a guarantee, however, the idea is for the pro to earn enough hires in the process to make up for the cost of those connections. Of course, we want pros to find continuous success on the site. There will always be those customers who go a different route or are unsure, however, there will also be those customers who know what they want and are ready to hire. 

0 Kudos
JoeB131
Level 7

@Kameron- One more time.  Someone pressing "when are you available" is not a meaningful contact that is worth $16.00 (for resume writers) or $33.00 (for a wedding coordinator.) Particularly not when the customer can see 20 other providers and push the same button. 

The easy solution, one that at least one of your competitors has hit on, is to only charge if you get hired.   

Chrishuff1
Level 5

It needs to go back to the 5 pro's max model. That worked so good! Why mess with a good thing? 

I agree with this going back to the first 5 pro's quoting. I got so many more jobs back then but now customers can see at least 15 pro's ( which first of all means TT can make that much more money if someone actually WANTS to click " when are you available?" or any other question that charges US.. it also is not likely that anyone will want to SEE that many pro's nor do they have time to filter through them all.. read their reviews, review portfolio's etc... )  I get a stomach ache now each time I see a TT request because it feels too much like gambling with my money and I am not a gambler. I am thinking of taking notifications off my phone so I can relax at night and not stress about whether this one will lead to something or not because the ODDS are NOT in my favor at all anymore !! Smiley Sad 

globalld
Level 4

This Over charging for leads has got to stop Thumbtack.

I have just signed in to this forum to see if anyone else was sick to their stomach with this blatant over charging for leads.  I am just coming back to Thumbtack after a Hiatus. (3 weeks now). I have had only one hire who ended up haggling my hourly rate down to "working for pennies" and of course I took it as I was stressed about the $29 I paid for the lead. I ended up making $100. (infuriating). I have spent $130 on leads in the last 10 days and have nothing to show for it except a broken spirit.

If i was in a position to throw $130 away I wouldnt be competing for work on this platform. Thumbtack you must change these policies! How is charging me (a personal chef) $18-$33 to start a conversation (or answer a "when are you available" make any sense when the client puts he/she wants to pay $25 per person? Remember we have food costs, labor, travel...We are not bringing home $25 a person, closer to $10. I just want my charges refunded. I recently paid an obsence amount of $ for a lead of a client that was not intersted in hiring anyone. He just wondered how much it would cost. I ended up asking for him to review me on Thumbtack since I spent so much of my time with him. He then had to mark me as "hired" in order to leave his rating. This system is set up to fail as many of us freelancers can't compete with other Pros willing to fork out high payments to be constantly charged for conversation starters and inquiries.

Tamekaj38
Level 5

Re: This Over charging for leads has got to stop Thumbtack.

I feel the exact same way. Why is it that I have to pay because a customer asks a question, and why is it almost 20.00? The whole point of using this service is to get your name out there, but this really doesn't seem to be a win/win situation. I feel like I have used more money, just to get a lead, beyond discouraging

DJStevie
Level 12

@JoeB131

They feel that those conversation starters are from a meaningful customer. My suggestion over a month ago, was not to charge us until we reviewed the customer profile, see the price of the lead first, AND reply to the customer. 

Moderator Kameron

@DJStevie to be clear that is how the site currently works for pros who choose not to list their preferences and quote through the Jobs tab. 

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Kameron 
I understand that. Again, You've really missed my point!
I've given my feedback/suggestions about Promote well over a month ago, but it seems those have fallen on deaf ears. If other Pros want to constantly be charged for Conversation starters/generic replies, then that's their perogative. But for me and many many Pros, we don't want to be charged without looking at the customer profile and cost of lead, first! Not trying to start an argument, but giving opinion and suggestion. If Promote is here to stay, then we should only be charged AFTER we reply to a conversation starter. How many times do I have to stress this?