Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Solved! Jump to solution
I too am very disappointed with their current pricing system and getting crappy customers I even tried their Instant match system that was a disappointment also and I’m at the brink of canceling there are better options out there then this, until they revert back ther’re old system then I’ll go back otherwise consider me gone

Solved! Jump to solution

Transparancey issues

0 Kudos
Mpcarpet10
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
It’s pointless what we say thumbtack has gotten so pricy and their leads just ask for a quote and never reply and we get charge for . Another thing I have my budget set to a weekly amount and that amount doubles and I feel like it gets taken out twice a week . We shouldn’t pay for a lead unless the customer provides an address and a cellphone number

Solved! Jump to solution

There are two kinds of inquiries, the ones from those that are ready to hire the right person and the ones from those that are just curious (and some of those may be the competition doing research). I pay Thumbtack for both. It might help if the person requesting bids had 'a little skin in the game'. Why not require them to pay a little something which can be refunded if they actually hire a pro? 

OKCaerial
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Your pricing model based on what you think the job is worth is arbitrary.  How in the world can you estimate what a job is going to be worth unless you are an expert in every business represented on Thumbtack?  Instead, think about how newspaper classified ads charge.  They charge by the space taken in the paper regardless of what is being advertised.  Similarly, charging a flat rate per quote will be a lot easier to swallow.  If I want to spend a few bucks to send a quote to a potential client, I'll decide that based on the information the client gives.  Don't try to guess how much I'll be able to charge for something, then charge me some arbitrary fee for it.

Speaking of the information a client gives, sometimes the information is barely enough to determine if it is worth spending the money to make a bid for it.  Often, we need to have a conversation to get more information before we can truly make a bid that fits the job. This conversation allows us to tailor the bid for the client so everyone wins.  This conversation could go back and forth a few times so you probably wonder, when should the pro get charged for the bid?  Here's an idea:

Instead of charging a the pro a fee for bidding, when the pro that is selected gets hired, the client indicates that on Thumbtack, and then the hired pro (and only the hired pro) gets charged a standard fee.  This would encourage more pros to make bids, which makes the clients happy, and the hired pro is happy to pay a reasonable fee for getting a job through the service.

I've been charged random amounts too many times to submit bids to clients that don't respond at all.  I hope this gets figured out soon.  Thanks for listening.

Suomalainen
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have no idea what you charge anymore.   All I know is you cost about 4 - 6 times what you used to.  You went from $5 or 6 / quote to $25 - 30.  I raised prices $25 to cover for your fees.

Solved! Jump to solution
You all messed up a pretty good thing, but you got all greedy and want me to pay 25 dollars plus for a lead that is a long shot. You lost my trust and I might look but I won’t be spending money like I did before, pretty sad. You all don’t require the client to give enough information or at least a photo, most leads are way to vague, it’s impossible to price a job based on little information and then we have to change our bid significantly and people don’t like this, exspecially cheap people, they get a number in their heads and that’s it.

Someone in your staff should get a job in the trade field and learn to design a good lead generator, inmyself could change your whole format and i’d hane people lined up to spend money on good leads properly filled out.

Get a few people in the trade fields to come in the office and work with you, you have a good looking site but the information just isn’t their, make the clients looking for help do the work to give the tradesmen the information he/she needs and they will spend the money to compete for these leads, and everyone makes more money.

Anyway,
Jayson Lambert
Detroit Clean Out
BusyPaws1
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I earned a fee of $25 for an introductory dog training lesson. You took $10 of that, or 40%. That is way too high for either a commission or for the cost for one lead--whatever you want too call it, I call it TOO HIGH. This is very off-putting. I don't submit nearly the same number of quotes for Thunktack as I used to. Reason: (1) I never know how much I am going to be charged IN ADVANCE (sorry, but your do NOT have pricing transparency--you just say that you do--which is dishonest); (2) Whatever you charge has always been too high. In the scenario cited above, I also had to figure in the cost of gas, wear and tear on my vehicle, etc. I'm lucky if I netted $10 for the one hour appointment and the 30 minute drive time each way. Bottom line, I made about $5.00 per hour, thanks to your exhorbitant fee. You need to get your act together soon, because you are going to lose your lower end providers like mysel;f. It is simply too costly to do business with you. I am not in business to lose money, but with your "service" I always manage to. Rebut this if you can, but there is no way you can justify such high fees. 

OBC
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I have had a number of problems being charged for leads that were not serious or miscommunications...  I have not been using Thumbtack on a lately because I never know how much I will be charged. Represenatives at Thumbtack told me that theywere going back to providing us with how much a lead would before we submit a response...... This has not changed ?????? Wondering if this is still going to happen. I am less likely to send any for this reason.

Highlighted
JCCross
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Although I did like the previous payment plan, what I don't care for most about the new program is that potential clients are no longer asked to specify their budget, so when leads come through we have no idea how much they have to spend on the project until we've already paid for a crap lead. As an interior designer, knowing a clients budget up front is key. Many clients have impossible budgets yet want a lot of work done. Being able to know what the clients monetary expectations are really help us to determine whether or not we can help that client. 

Another issue that I really disliked was when I set my account up to have my quotes sent to potential clients rather than having to choose and manually send my quotes... It really felt like something fishy going on. I began to receive what seemed like phony contact messages from supposed clients who were supposedly responding to my quote, but everytime the client messaged me the content of the message was almost exactly the same to a fault, something along the lines of "I'd love to chat when can I call you?" or "sounds good, what's the next step?" then when I would respond, they would disappear and I'd never hear from them, but of course, by that point, I had already been charged for the lead. It was very odd and questionable. It was as if someone at Thumbtack was sending generic consult questions just so I would respond and get charged. I soon stopped responding and turned off the feature. This has made me even more leary of Thumbtack practices and concerns me that there may be "potential client" manipulation. I would love to have this explained to me as it's very suspect behavior.