Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Solved! Jump to solution

Sorry for any confusion @KaltecServices! Your post is still indeed on this thread, which you can see here. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. 

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

Clients are NOT looking for instant gratification. In my 4.5 yrs with TT, I've barely had a half dozen jobs where the person immediately hired me. Normally it will take several hours to several days, sometimes weeks, and even months (but at that time, they end up putting in a new request becasue they can't find your quote, or they can't get into their TT account - which was an issue for MANY people for MANY months!) So this thing about offering them 15 pros immediatey, does not change that. I have NOT seen a speed up in the time between request and hire. What I have seen is even MORE people who never even view my quote! Before, they virtually always at least viewed it. Now what happens is that there are a bunch of newbies and amateurs using IM because they don't know the proper way to run thier business, they don't know how to pre-qualify a lead before responding, and they are clueless about the COA (cost of acquisition). So they hand over their bank account to TT, as cluelessly as they shoot their snapshots. They're not profesionals, they don't run professional businesses, and they don't shoot professional images. But they are cheap cheap chaap, and their work shows it!

So the client looks at the dozen cheap, low quality, amateur bids, sees that it's all trash, and walks away from their computer determing that TT is trying to pass off amateurs as professionals. While they're away, we few legit pros, with higher prices for higher calibre work, submit our quotes. We're the ones that are real business people, know our costs, and produce professional work, are hands on and manually submit our quotes. But the client has NO CLUE that we even sent them a quote! They were so turned off to the junk that was intantly available, that they came to the conclusion that TT is worthless, so they don't bother to open up the good quotes that came in later from real professionals. Time after time, I saw that in Insights (which has been removed in its usuable form!)  virtually every quote I submitted! So I would send followup emails to let them know they have more bids!

So, TT, all this instant connection your scrambling to make happen, has resulted in users getting LESS of what they really want! Isn't it better to wait a bit longer for a well thought out, personal response, that specifically addresses the details of thier request, rather than get a bunch of trash, immediately in thier face, that doesn't suit their needs, sent by "pros" who never viewed the quote and can't send a personal, relevent response??? FASTER DOESN'T MEAN BETTER!!! When you rush, you give garbage! Haste makes waste - and irrelevent bids from pros who don't want or can't service the clients they're auto-bidding!

McDonalds is fast - but it's low quality. Is that all that TT cares about? If you're sacrificing all the quality for speed, TT will quickly develope a reputation for providing junk-pros, because the best quality ones don't even exist for the people who think that IM is all there is, and seeing the trash, ignore any future emails from anything pertaining to TT, and send it all right off to the spam bin.

fitcap
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

AMEN TO THAT!!!

I AGREE......"FASTER DOESN'T MEAN BETTER!!!"

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH WE PROS ARE "THUMBTACK GUINEA PIGS" !!!!

WHEN A PLATFORM IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION .....ISN'T THE CORRECT PROCEDURE TO SHUT DOWN THE PLATFORM UNTIL IT IS FIXED ?

THUMBTACK IS STILL RUNNING, "BUSINESS AS USUAL" AND CHARGING US PROS THROUGH THE UGLY MESS THEY HAVE CREATED.

WE ARE SUFFERING THROUGH ALL THE THUMBTACK TRIALS (LOTS OF TRIALS) AND ERRORS(LOTS OF ERRORS)

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, MY BUSINESS HAS TAKEN A DOWNWARD DIVE DUE TO THUMBTACK Smiley Sad

I WILL BE WORKING MORE USING GOOGLE AND YELP TO HELP PAY THE BILLS 

reidercody
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this insight!!! Speaking, of which- TT has made the INSIGHTS  part of their platform USELESS. YES, USELESS! I believe that this was done  so that PROS couldn't view their ranking after submitting quotes. Supposedly, I consistently ranked lower than othe Pros in my field-even though they used Instant match( A BIG JOKE, ONLY USED TO GENERATE MORE MONEY FROM THE HARDWORKING PROS) yeah, I see that other PROS quotes were sent through instant match and it didn't help them at all, So, they probably get frustrated, and after fielding the reactions from other unhappy pros, pull away from it. This caused a loss of revenue for Thumbtack......

ALSO, ON THE ISSUE OF USING AMATEURS WHO JEOPARDIZE PROS WHO REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING?  ...oh, this is so true. These amateurs undermine real professionals in the respective industries with their cheap pricing and cheap quality of work. I am so tired of having to lower my fair pricing just to compete with others who lower the standards of quality and the trade standards of fair and equitable pricng- in order to get a job. IT'S SICKENING! 

I was told by a rep that these types of PROS would eventually disappear from the redar, fall to the wayside once the low quality became apparent. HELLO, NEWS FLASH!!! They don't disappear and TT encourages this substandard quality and pricing and promotes it by continually using amateurs posing as professionals. In my industry( commercial and residential carpet cleaning) they are everywhere.; continually suverting standard pricing and quality from experienced pros.  As much as you try and educate the potential customer that the lowest price isn't always the best for the buck. They will consistently chose the lowest costs. EVEN IF THE JOB HAS TO BE DONE AGAIN! The public is fickle and these fly-by-night pros know this!

Low pricing is only equitable, when it works consistently with quality. We've made it work in our industry, but our profits and bottom line is severely down from previous years. The only staple we have is through some very fortunate inititives that we undertook to stave off our slowing profits. However, not every PRO has this type of resource to fall back on. Many pros don't have limitless resources to plow into advertising and lead buys.The last thing small business needs is opportunistic lead-generators fleecing them with unreasonable pricing for quotes and bids.

Thumbtack Employee vinamrata
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi everyone, thank you SO MUCH for all the great feedback you’ve given us about what leads cost. As you’ve probably noticed, this is a really important topic for most pros. And it’s really important for us too, because if you can’t succeed with our pricing model, then we can’t succeed either.

Believe me, we hear that you’re frustrated, and we’re trying hard to improve based on your feedback. There were tons of helpful posts, but we saw a few major topics that most of you feel strongly about. Here’s the most common feedback that I’ve brought back to my pricing team to address:

• We need to make our pricing more transparent and understandable
  • It’s frustrating when customers respond to you but don’t follow through, and it should be easier to be refunded when you get a lead that isn’t meaningful
  • It sometimes feels like our prices don’t reflect the true value of a job in your category

While I can’t promise that we’re going to fix all your concerns immediately, I can tell you that these are among our very top priorities. I’ll be back to announce product updates as we work through these issues, so stay tuned for updates in the Community. In the meantime, I wanted to share a few of the improvements we’ve made, and some things we’re working on in the coming months:

• Price transparency. We heard you when you said you needed to see prices upfront before deciding whether you wanted to pursue specific jobs. So we added prices to all jobs in your Jobs tab, as well as on all leads where customers proactively reach out to you and you get to decide whether you want to accept the lead. We’re continuing to work on ways to help you better understand what you’re paying for leads.
  • Better prices. We’re constantly evaluating our prices to make sure they make sense. Recently, we lowered prices in over 100 categories (like Exterior Painting and Local Moving) because we realized those prices were too high. We also have a team dedicated to researching individual categories so that we can price leads appropriately. They’re hard at work evaluating our prices, and we’ll continue incorporating your feedback when you tell us prices seem off.
  • Accounting for how serious customers are. We realize we need better ways of figuring out how serious customers are. You shouldn’t pay as much for customers who aren’t as serious. So we’re hard at work finding better ways to calibrate how serious a given customer is. In the meantime, we’ll continue investing in other ways to ensure the right customers are reaching out to you. We have new and improved ways for you to showcase your business and pricing ahead of time, so customers don’t have to contact you just to ask. We’re also continuing to invest in cost pages, so that customers can get a sense of pricing before they reach out to you. We hope this will reduce the number of customers who contact you just to ask about your prices.
  • Easier way to get refunds. We’re working on giving you the ability to request refunds right in the app. This way you can quickly and easily tell us when you think you’ve been charged incorrectly, and we can investigate to make sure you’re only paying for quality leads.

We’re constantly trying to make Thumbtack better for both our customers and pros. Happy customers who keep coming back to Thumbtack means we have more jobs for pros. And lots of pros who find value using Thumbtack means we have the right pros to meet customers’ needs. It’s not easy and we’re constantly learning, so I hope you will stick with us through the journey. Thanks again for all the amazing feedback. I see that we have a lot of work to do to make our pricing system work for you, and I’m excited about all the great improvements to come!

-Vinamrata

View solution in original post

Jayme
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
So do you have a choice for Sheetrock as the subfloor still?
Your email saying my answer to a question was taken as a solution and then I read what you wrote and I see no solutions only the same ol things thumbtake always says
It’s like Gavin Newsom talking...
I’m sure you still have sheet rock as a option for subfloor material?
Come on stop relying on the square footage that a customer gives. They are wrong 90% can’t figure out the square footage of an area. Can you?
If so you are a minority.
Your pricing on your site is also misleading and incorrect. Yet nobody fixed it. It’s like you don’t believe people.
Come on thumb take
Wise up

Solved! Jump to solution

Wedding and event photography is still insanely priced at 10-30% of the price of the job itself!

STOP STOP STOP telling customers what to expect photography to cost when you HAVE NO CLUE!!!! THE PRICES ARE SERIOUSLY UNDER PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY RATES!!!!!!!!!!!! TT bases the "rates" on what "pros" quote - which is a massive issue because your basing it on amateur rates because a ton of your photographers are amateurs, not running legit businesses with overhead and taxes. I keep telling TT this and keep getting ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those prices are NOT accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adriana
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm looking forward to seeing Thumbtack working just like it used to. That's why I have not given up on the Thumbtack yet. Many people I know say they went in and out because it was a scam. I continue because it worked for me. I believe the Thumbtack will be able to make a difference. I noticed that when we first started working with the Thumbtack, we received special attention. After that, you forget about us. So, we only pay for the leads. Special attention is only for those who are starting to work with the Thumbtack. Because you need to build more customers with you. Thus you will have more people paying for leads. I know how much lead is important to you. And I think it's fair to you. However, you are leaving a lot to be desired when you do not give enough attention to those who are already Top Pro or are coming to the Top Pro. For example: I do not care if I pay for some leads, however, I need to have clients to recover what I invested. In my case, I have not had customers for a long time. I still only paid for the lead because I believe you will have a solution. I'm looking forward to seeing Thumbtack working just like it used to.

Solved! Jump to solution
Sry for the double post...
Regards,
Aaron F

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

Okay so check it out...
You, have been giving us this same line of total crap for a long time now and basically just about everyone that isn't new to Thumbtack knows that your not trying nor haven't tried and ARENT going to even attempt to fix any of WHAT YOU BROKE AGAINST THE PROS THAT HAVE BEGGED AND PLEADED WITH STOP CHANGING AS THE SYSTEM WAS AMAZING PRIOR TO YOU ALL AND YOUR SHAREHOLDERS BEING MONEY HUNGRY PRICKS. THE SYSTEM WAS FINE YOU BROKE IT AND YOU BROKE IT INTENTIONAL DUE TO GREED PLAIN AND SIMPLE ITS BEEN LAID PUT OVER AND OVER AGAIN BEFOEE UOU MADE AT MOST 5TI.ES WHATEVER YOU WERE CHARGING FOR A SPECIFIC LEAD TYPE FOR INSTANCE TV mounting 5credits to bid on 5 pros could bid at 1.35 per credit. So it looked like this...
1.35(1 credit) x 5 = 6.75$ to bid.
5 pros per job cap so if job had all 5 pros bid then it would look like this...
6.75 x 5 = 33.75
Now for.the same.exact opportunity for the same exact type of lead a TV mounting job costs a pro 21.75 ( these are numbers I'm pulling out of my recent bids so there real actual costs for us pros just to be clear!)
So the new Thumbtack profit looks like this
21.75 on average and 20 pros bidding on same job with no cap on number of pros bidding on the job at all and so I've seen more then 22 pros bidding on a single request regularly.

So ...
21.75 x 22 = 478.50 per lead that Thumbtack is getting per lead for just a TV mounting lead.

Profit now per lead = $478.50
Profit before per lead = $33.75

So prior to your... Having "Fixed" or "started improving" A system that was not broken and was working well for your customers. It just wasn't lining you pockets like it is now that your ripping us off like you have been!
YOU ARE PROFITTING $440 MORE PER LEAD ON AVERAGE FOR A BASIC TV MOUNTING JOB.
So to say for even a remote second that it HAS BENEFITTED ANYONE BUT THUMBTACKS EXECUTIVE SALARIES AND BONUSES THEN YOH ARE HIGHLY MISTAKEN.
WHY NOT ACTUALLY PROVIDE SOME OF THE ACTUAL NUMBERS OF PEOPLE SUBMITTING REQUESTS THAT ARENT Finding PROS NOW AS OPPOSED TO TWO YEARS AGO IM WILLING TO BET THAT IF YOU SCALE THE NUMBERS ACCORDINGLY THERE ARE MORE UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS AND MORE UNHAPPY PROS NOW WITH LOWER OVERALL SERVICE RATINGS BY A MINIMUM OF 10% ACROSS THE BOARD TO HEN THERE WAS IN ALL THOSE SAME CATEGORIES I JUST MENTIONED TWO YEARS AND TO FURTHER CEMENT THAT FACT THE ONLY NUMBERS THAT I HAVE SEEN IMPROVING FOR ANY BUSINESS ASSOCIATED AT THIS.POINT IS THUMBTACKS PROFIT MARGINS FOR THUMBTACK NOT FOR THE PEOPLE THAT USE THUMBTACK, DEFINITELY NOT FOR THE BUSINESSES THAT PROVIDE CLIENTS SERVICES ON THUMBTACK SO AGAIN UOUR NOT IMPROVING THE SYSTEM FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELVES AND YOU SHAREHOLDERS.

Regards,
Aaron F