Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Community Regular
Best Answer

I am not going to pay for someone just blindly reaching out, "Are you available on my date?"  I am not always able to fill out my calendar and show my availability on Thumbtack, so that does not work for me.

A few years ago, Thumbtack became wildly popular and profitable by letting Pros buy credits and see jobs that we wanted to bid on.  We could then decide if we wanted to bid on them or not.  

THAT is what made you successful.  If Thumbtack had worked like this when I first ran across your service, I would never have signed up, or been as successful as I have been.  Your old format helped me grow my business, I was a Mentor for you and a HUGE supporter of Thumbtack.  Now.....I am going to spend my marketing money elsewhere.

Matt DiAno

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
The new format is horrible. I have pretty much stopped using Thumbtack all together. I will get messages that ask, " are you available on my date?"
For me to just respond to that is generally 35 to $45. No thank you.,
I am a small business and I do this on the side 35 to 45 a pop is way too much to just tell someone I'm available on their date.
ESPECIALLY
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

I agree, I got charged twice this week for the reply "are you available on my date?" That's not communication between pros and customers

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

Yes, the new format is horrible! I got charged two times this week for the generic "Are you available on my date?" On line rep that I chatte with said "because I'm the perfect match for customer, and customer CONTACTED me, I got charged, nothing he can do about reversing the charge. Since way is generic  reply considered communication? We don't know who is on the other end. I can understand getting charged if both pro and customer sent messages, and not generic. But that won't happen right now, because TT feels customers come first, and not their pros who pay for the service and their paychecks.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I spent $75 the other day on a lead where I had a lovely conversation with the gentleman from Atlanta trying to host a dinner party for his boyfriend in Miami. He explained me on the phone that he wasn’t really interested in hiring me but he wanted to get some prices as he was planning some kind of party a few years from now to thank him.

Quite the lovely guy and I’m glad we had that wonderful phone conversation but I’d rather have $75 to play my business Internet for this month

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hey there, 

Thanks for the opportunity to make my voice heard. I really dislike the new system INTENSELY. For example, I paid $14 to reply to a question - "are you available on my date." I replied - then - crickets. 

If you can't find a different way to run Thumbtack - perhaps charging professionals AFTER THEY'RE HIRED - then I will delete my account here. I can't afford to pay you and get no assurance of any business. 

Appreciate the time. I hope you can fix the system (credits were even a better idea!). 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Hi Chris,

It might make more sense to get charged as long as the Client hires you through Thumbtack. To avoid a customer hiring somo offline the value that Thumbtack can provide is being able to mediate any issues that happen if the work turns out to be less than promised as some kind of insurance. The service provider should do its best to meet that service promise.

I believe service providers would find it more valuable to pay for closed sales rather than a lead.

Thanks,
Mastermind
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I think thumbtack should have a price scale for each job and the customer make a payment commitment then thumbtack post the job and how much it pays to the pro them when the job is complete show evidence by pictures or videos then thumbtack deposits the funds in the pros account.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Community Regular
Best Answer

It is truly amazing that the only responses we get to the unreasonably expensive pricing structure, poor value of the new system, and the migration of many seasoned pros from Thumbtack after years of use, is that "we'll be more transparent", "we'll take all of your feedback into consideration" and"we listened to you".  If you all have listened to the pros that have been vital in building this brand and revenue, you would not hesitate to revert back to the credits, lower pricing, and the system that we played such an integral part in building.  These ridiculously high prices for "clients" that are supposedly personally reaching out to us and a million others is a true sign of greed and lack of respect for the pros responsible for building this successful and profitable platform.

As a member that has supported and previously enjoyed Thumbtack, it is my genuine recommendation that you all change the structure and pricing back to what worked for so many pros before you all watch yourselves lose the foundation that has sustained, provided the revenue stream, and reputation of Thumbtack. I understand that credits, lower pricing, and listening may go against the company's goal of maximizing revenue at all costs, but doing so would improve pro retention, company image, and restore the desire to of wanting to continue using Thumbtack.  

That is a suggestion that has weighed heavy on my spirit in hopes of finally seeing the change being requested.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Wow. I have to say; well put!
I'm a firm believer in if you are a good professional, you can and will always find other ways to get clients and generate money for yourself. And if a company is fortunate enough to have you under their label, it's a win win. My dad's famous quote was "Never put all of your eggs in one basket"