Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Navyguy4688
Level 6

Re: Pros should not be charged for "What's Your Availability?"

Solved! Jump to solution

Well as far as TT following up with the customer, in my opinion, I think that part falls on both (pro's and TT) to better educate the customer and make sure they mark you as hired and also submit a review afterwards. However, if you log into your account via desktop, you can mark yourself as hired. Problem solved! As far as reviews, customers are lazy and you have to stay on them. Because I'm such a awesome pro (LOL) I have repeat customer and I will ask twice, but if they still don't give a review, I will explain to them that I can't start another job with them until the last job is reviewed! And because my work and prices are 5-star guess what, they do the review! And as far as the promote option, Ewwww, I stay away! That in my opinion gives TT too much control of what job I decide to accept!

Highlighted
Drummerpro
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the tip on Bark.  I’m a top pro on thumbtack, and have been looking for a good alternative.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of response I get!  Thumbtack needs to wake up!  Their current status is so disappointing!  

0 Kudos
Jim
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree, completely. Awihle back I had questioned TT, about their "policies" on able to obtain useful informaiton in order to give an accurate quote. I was told that professional photographers were the ones who designed the platform for the request. There is NO way a professional photgrapher would have done that.  

My more recent complaint (one of many) A client contacted me because she was interested in hiring me and yada yada for a wedding photographer. Her budget was 250-500... for a wedding... HOWEVER, TT was going to charge me 28.00 to reply, the bad thing is, I need verification that these potentional customers are "real" and not fake clients generated by TT, to collect my 28.00. This has been brought up for a long time now, and TT will most likely edit this message or completely trash it, because it is not a positive response to a negative situation.  I have watched the approval ratings on TT drop over the past year or so, and it will not get better. The constant policy changes, shows horrible instability, that I and many others simply do not trust.  

I think for me, its time I started looking for other networking sources to use. 

reidercody
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Yes, I also seem to begetting these "fake" requests  ie-( " What's your availabilty"  "Why should I chose you"  Why is this happening?  Is TT in trouble? 

0 Kudos
asmith
Level 4

Thumbtack Exceeded my weekly budget without my authorization

Solved! Jump to solution

To Other Pro's: 

The follow text is on the "How It Works" page for Pro's.   I sent out 2 replies to Jobs and no-where was there any cost provided.  So that bold-underline-itilic sentence is not correct.

How you get jobs on Thumbtack Respond to all leads

Customers can message, call or book you directly after seeing your profile in search results. You'll see the job details and cost of the lead upfront. If you're interested, reply quickly. If you're not interested, decline the lead and you won’t be charged.

I sent out two replies to jobs and there was no information provided about cost. The system asked me to set a weekly budget. I set it to $30.  That used to cover 3-4 quotes.  Only seeing a $65 fee hit my bank account for one and potentialy another $55 for another one did I learn (after a hour on the phone with TT) and after some digging what the NEW COSTS actually were. 

This is all my fault of course.  I have been TT pro since 2011 and I like Thunbtack and still do.   Problem is I am very slow on work now after dealing with some cancer issues. So I decided to look for jobs on TT after not doing so for over a year.  

If you made an honest mistake, and there has been no contact yet with a potential client, MEANING the Pro has not had any direct contact in any way, there should be a way to withdraw and deleate a quote.    

Also, if I set a weekly budget how can Thumbtack change me twice the budget limit without my authorization?  Thats bad.   You should hold up my quote until I increase my budget limited, other wise  what the heck is the limit for anyway?

When I called Thumbtack they did refuse to refund the charges dispite it being an honest mistake on my part, but did offer to give me credit in stead of a refund.  That is problely fair under normal sisutations. 

Until these pricing programs change to be more user friendly for the Pro, I just might have to take a wait and see approach and be very very, and I mean very  selctive of what I give a quote for.   Too bad it has to be that way.  

Navyguy4688
Level 6

Re: Thumbtack Exceeded my weekly budget without my authorization

Solved! Jump to solution

This is what I've been sending to potential customers, but I want to point out that if the request is ambiguous having nothing more than "electrical issues or electrical not working properly) I immediately PASS! Now for those not so lazy customers that give some details of their pain point, I send this.

"Mr/Ms. customer, in order to save time and cost, I try to limit myself on the number of online interactions/exchanges. If you like my below quote AND YOU'RE READY TO START, by all means feel free to reach out to me." I have this on all of my templates and it has worked. Try it!

DJStevie
Level 12

Re: Thumbtack Exceeded my weekly budget without my authorization

Solved! Jump to solution

@asmith

Sorry to hear abour cancer issues. Hope all is well now.

I don't know if this comment of mine will be deleted, as I've had a couple deleted.

I had to turn off Promote/Instant Match so I can control my budget. With those functions on, per a rep, I was getting charged for generic replies. I now see the cost of a lead before I send quote out, this way I can control my budget better and contact a customer who I feel is a good fit for me, not Thumbtack.

PlanoVideo
Level 2

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Solved! Jump to solution
I have written to Thumbtack about this previously, but I really need pricing to be set up on a per hour basis. I do transfers to DVD and Blu-Ray from VHS tapes and camcorder tapes, etc. Customers will say " I have 3 to 5 tapes", that sort of thing. So I don't know how many hours of video that we're talking about; it could be 10 minutes or it could be 10 hours. If I select the "need more info" button, they never get back to me and I Iose the bid. I called and spoke to someone at Thumbtack a year or so ago and she indicated that the hourly option would be added back, but it has not. Please consider adding this option back to the bidding process.
chriseshar
Level 6

Charge customers a small fee to improve statistics and raise revenue

Solved! Jump to solution

Of the jobs I bid on, my guess is that about .5% of them result in a hire. However, about 95% of job requests result in pros being charged for communication that leads to a whole lot of nothing. According to talks with Thumbtack employees, more pros are being hired, but the jobs are just not being marked as such. Okay, and you know this how? Well, I say-

Prove it.

If Thumbtack's statistics on hirings are so incredibly unreliable, something has to be done about that. Charging customers a $3 refundable down payment for a job request has many benefits. Among them:

-Thumbtack will get to keep $3 times A LOT for insincere requests

-Thumbtack will have more jobs resulting in a hire marked as Hired, as doing so will refund the small down payment.

-Thumbtack will be able to work on its mission to keep Pros happy with reasonable prices

-Thumbtack's statistics on matching Pros and Customers will be improved, showing better results 

-Thumbtack will help weed out scams and concerns that Thumbtack is hiring people to bloat their revenues through b.s. requests

-and on and on.

Think about it.  There's no reason that Customers shouldn't be able to demonstrate a small portion of their financial identity to prove their legitimacy. 

chriseshar
Level 6

Re: Charge customers a small fee to improve statistics and raise revenue

Solved! Jump to solution

@Kameron.... why can't I get my own post?  The concept of charging customers is not exactly well-discussed in the voluminous post that you moved my post to.