Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I couldn't agree with you more.  I too have called, written and chatted with Thumbtack people to no avail.  The new costs are so totally prohibitive for me as I work in a small market and cannot compete without charging moderate prices.  I am so upset that they do not seem to understand what is at stake here.  Perhaps, if they lose enough business, it may sink in.  Or, perhaps, they just don't really care!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

All Thumbtack cares about is making money for themselves.  They long ago quit caring about us, the professionals, who make the money for them.  I haven't given a quote to any potential customer since the way they changed the format of how they charge for quotes that people respond to and never follow up on.  The price went up 800%!  That is just about the craziest thing I have ever heard.  I never minded paying for quotes that people looked at but didn't respond to because the amount of money I "lost" was nominal.  Now it would cost me way more than it would even be worth to get customers with no guarantee that I would get them.  People can respond and have no intention of hiring you, and you can end up paying for nothing again and again and again.  I can't afford that, and I am guessing that most of the rest of the Thumbtack pros cannot either.  It is really sad because I used to rely on Thumbtack for my customers, and now I won't even consider using them.  I was a Top Pro and really doing well, but I find my customers other places now.  If Thumbtack doesn't change back to the way they used to do business, they will soon be out of business.  I cannot believe anyone is accepting their new terms.  I have told people at Thumbtack the way I felt, and they act like they care and want my input, but they haven't made any changes.  If people wanted to ruin this company, they are well on their way.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Exactly! I stopped using Thumbtack for three months because I was paying $20-$40 on "leads" who often times didn't even have any work available but was just curious how mich something would cost, or $40.00-$60.00 on a gig that only paid $150.00. I decided to give them another shot because they said they were doing away with customers coming at you with a budget (which as it turns out the didn't even do) and it's more of the same. Now I owe them $25.00 again for a guy who texted me to tell me he was just going to have his friend do it for free. Then customer service told me that's still a valid contact and I have to pay it. I'm done with thumbtack forever now.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Well Said!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Yep yep
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I am on the same page here.  I used to used it all the time, but $10 for a quote - that often the person only says one thing, and doesn't follow through?  Too much for my budget.  I've really pulled back on what I've spent monthly to almost zero.  Pity that. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I totally agree with this fella!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I did the exact same thing. Don't care where this chick is from. Skip to the middle. She said one sentence and I stopped it
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Thanks for your comment!! I decided NOT to watch this finally awaited feedback from Thumbtack.. as I was waiting for the same answer as you and thousand others!

Them not moving toward lowered quote pricing DONT answer all of our questions and concerns. $50 for one wedding videographer request so the customer can reply with 3 words and disappear is not worth the financial marketing spending here!
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I have been thinking a lot about this and I am seeing their business plan. They are realizing that it is less profitable to cater to the longtime clients and our want for fair pricing in exchange our continued business, loyalty and investment in their long-term growth. They are seeing the short term as many companies in this industry are currently. Higher fees work for the masses of pop up short-term businesses people start on a whim. They have expendable income (typically) and are willing to burn through it quickly to grow a customer base. In most cases, in 6-18 months the business is not around but for each one gone 3 more replace it. It is an industry-wide trend and Thumbtack knows it will (in the short term) make more money "working" for them than catering to us. They will dangle change in front of us to keep as many of us as possible, knowing at same point recurring monthly loyalty clients like us will be needed when the business trend changes. I am disappointed but I understand following the money. It is, however, a gamble because if another company (X) realizes this before Thumbtack changes back, company (X) may be in the long-term sustainable position instead of enjoying a short-term windfall. 

0 Likes