Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Pricing Q&A wrap-up

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I think you are right!  I have taken to leaving my phone number, telling the people the answers to the stupid questions they will ask, but then tell them "any other issues, concerns, questions, or needs, please call...........................".

Amazing how many times I get an email from them, not a text, not a call, asking a stupid question, that is not only answered, but, clearly they cannot read!

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

we all are, so now I have upped my quotes outragesouly, and when I get a reply on TT that goes no where.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

every bad review I have recieved is from an idiot who either can't ready or makes big promises then bails!  when I get back to them for watsting my time, and money, and suggest they take a course in ethics or speaking english, they get all huffy and do a review!

"I did not use this guy because even though I said i was going to send him the work, a few times, I never did, because I found anohter, but I did not like his tone when he questioned me like I was stupid, so I will never use him"

idiot had no intention of using me, only wanted to find a better fee.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I also think that customers should also be paying part of the fee. I get so many people that are not serious and never follow up. That is 99% of the customer base. If they have to pay they would be more serious. I don’t mind paying, but not for no business.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Exactly! There are too many customers who are replying to everyone, but not hiring anyone. T These "leads" to nowhere are just too expensive.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Absolutely!! 

Charge the lead $25, or whatever a lead is in that category, redeemable by the pro they end up hiring. I'll gladly pay my lead fee to actually secure a job.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I 100% agree, I have mentioned to them using a rating system for the clients or people looking for the businesses. Similar to Uber, a 4.5 star driver isn't going to get a passenger that is 2 stars. They were like yeah.... like figure this ish out because if I am getting charged because Casper decides they want to ghost me, then there is a feeling of fraud...

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Your inability and unwillingness to address valid concerns only confirms what many pros fear--that you only care about making money, and not about continuing to provide a great service to pros and clients.  I've stopped using the site, and now depend on personal contacts and Upwork because I am simply unwilling to lose any more money to Thumbtack.  Listen to your pros, or deal with seeing us disappear and/or disengage.  I disengaged months ago, and I won't be sending any bids or communicating with potential clients until things go back to being fair and clear.  Upwork, at most, takes only 20% of what I earn, and that's ONLY when I'm actually hired--more often, it's 10%.  I don't know how you can defend your own practices in the face of such a practice as that, and you won't be getting more money (or recommendations) from my direction until the system gets fixed.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

None of us care why you switched. Is it not clear that it doesn't work for us?

Want a solution??

1) Adjust the pricing so that you get 5 pros to commit to a lead within 8 hours.  Done.

Right now, from what I can tell, you have lost professionals, responsiveness, and loyalty.  Don't try to justify your prices.  Adjust prices, or your company will go down the toilet.

I USED TO SPEND MONEY ON A LEAD SIMPLY TO GIVE ADVICE TO A CUSTOMER.  This supported Thumbtack and future business opportunities.  The new pricing scheme...No way. 

2) If you wish to keep the "only pay if contacted" feature, don't change the pricing. Fixed!

What you're doing now is subsidizing poorly written messages to customers looking for professionals on Thumbtack.  When you subsidize poor behavior, you get more of it...Do you want good professionals or do you not want good professionals? 

Go back to 1) 5 pro commits in 8 hours.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I stumbled across Thumbtack in 2014.  Thought it had great potential with the original pricing scheme.  Jumped on board and proceeded to build up a client base.  Win-Win-Win for me, clients, and Thumbtack.

Then, sometime last year, Thumbtack changed their quoting system to auto-responses by robots.  This was a huge disappointment to me.  I was using Thumbtack as a side-gig to my primary job to supplement my income.  But NO WAY was I going to let a robot auto-generate an instant quote to a potential client with a generic response.  My success on Thumbtack was due to me carefully weeding out clients who could not spell, could not explain their issue, or were not suited to my skill set or availability.  In addition, I spent the time to craft a personal reply to each and every potential client as a way to display the fact that I actually read their request and was qualified to be a viable option for their needs.

All that personalization and customization went out the door when Thumbtack forced the robot auto-replies on us.  Thus, I bailed on Thumbtack and have not bothered to send off a single quote in many months.

Now I'm hearing there is a new pricing structure.  Good luck with that.  So sad to witness the demise of Thumbtack.