Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Lead Cost...

Hi, you can try getting off of Instant Match and see if that works. You can still use your own Quote templates... although TT has warned us against it saying that the instant match people will get their automated quotes sent first, and then we seasoned pros, even Top Pros will be in the next round of Quotes sent out
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Qwksilver
Level 6

Re: Lead Cost...

We are also cutting back on TT for leads. They charge way to much for just small questions. They now charge as much or more than we make from the site. We are using other platforms with less costly results. Knocking on doors works also with venues. Our DJ side of our business here is so competetive with lowball DJ's just about giving it away. We reduced our workflow at TT to about 3% of our business down from just about 10%. We are considerng shutting down our TT account. We get too many charges because of just window shoppers or someone looking for only low price.

ashlinsmom
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about your profile

Well, unfortuanately, I can't use Thumbtack anymore unless you go back to the way you used to pay for quotes..It used to be $3.33 and now it's close to $10! And there is no guarantee that I get the job! $10 is too much to quote someone! So, unless thumbtack goes back and lets pros quote with that choice, then I can't afford to use thumbtack! What a shame! I loved it before!

sisterscrub
Level 5

What I want is legit leads! To not be charged all of a sudden $107 on a friday, when its supposed to be Sunday night. And all this high price tag for 7 customers. 2 of the customers I passed on the quote because i dont service that far away. Well when i asked your agent if you get charged for passing, he told me no. So later in convo when i relaized the 2 archived quotes were not in inbox. They were archived because I passed. When i mentioned his statement from earlier. He changed to.. ohhh thata a differnet quoting. So why would i pass on an account when i am being charged anyways?!?!?! I am leaving Thumbtack. Its very sad!! I have created 15× 5 star reveiws.. but $50 on monday and $107 on friday for obtaining 1 client .. I work wayyyy too HARD for that kinda momey to pay thumbtack on bogus contacts. Home advisor is blowing up my inbox.. looks like my $157 will help me start with them.

You would think when someone builds a great rep on this app that they would want to keep them.. apl they saw was $$$ signs that i am doing well and steal it back. READ the google reveiws amd even a facebook page on how they milk with fake leads.
Av8tress
Level 6

Well, I guess we'll see you on Facebook & Fiverr! You're not alone. Since they've "overhauled"  this new system, none of us have gotten the clients the way we used to and the prices have skyrocketed with no return. Some of us are going back to Fiverr, Yelp, Facebook and other accounts. There are alternatives to Fiverr as well. Do a search, "fiverr alternatives" and maybe you'll have some luck that way as well.

LBB Training

HansenJC
Level 10

@sisterscrubI am begining to think that Thumbtack is working on a model that encourages new pros to sign up and discourages seasoned pros like you. New pros start out at lower prices. The people who are making the requests and looking for the lowerst cost service or product they can find.

The new people (pros) are hungry and looking for work, so they are willing to pay the current fee structure, but the older more experience pros who have built their business based on the old pricing are leaving to make room for the newer more profitable (more profitable for Thumbtack) pros.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Let's talk about your profile - Care to share?

What other service are working for the Pros? What service is working well for you?

I too have reached a point where I have not gotten any new work from Thumbtack for a very long time (many months). I prefered the old system. I wrote a detailed quote on what I saw in the request. Now a machine (a bot) is doing the bids and not filtering for the really poorly written requests where the client does not actually know what they want.

My profile will not make a difference when there are 2x more pros than there are requests.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Mary6
Level 5

Thumbtack used to be fair in what they charged for leads.  Brilliant as a matter of fact.  They weren't greedy then.  For the first two years or so, I was charged $3.34 for sale leads and competed with up to four other massage therapists.  Sure it was a risk, but one I was willing to take because of my credentials, creating writing ability, stable of images and my own website.  Thumbtack has to make money on the deal some way and I was thankful they didn't take a percentage of the money I made on massage therapy.  I think this is what appealed to everyone, not just myself. 

Over time, I made money though I didn't get but three regulars in three years of being with Thumbtack.  ALL massage therapists want regulars.  But because Thumbtack lacked the email addresses of ENOUGH potential clients who both valued massage and could afford weekly or biweekly massage therapy,  99% of the customers I got came to me because they were in pain.  I got rid of it and they didn't book future appointments.  I have 36 steller reviews but if people don't have the money....  I have asked Thumbtack on numerous occasions who they are reaching out to to get business for us.      

I sent in quotes to as many as 8 potential customers before I'd get a paying client; I'd complain about this and would be told on the phone that 8 is the average amount of quotes I have to pay for and send out before I'd get a bite on the line.  As I charge $60 an hour, it 8 x $3.34 per quote cost me roughly $25 so I ended up making a little over $30 for a one hour massage which involves physical labor and sweat on my part.  What made it worse was the fact that the client couldn't afford to come back for more sessions.  So instead of getting paid what I'm worth, I got paid half; and I worked hard to build up my business but Thumbtack didn't do its job of finding people who can afford regular massage.  I became very disheartened with Thumbtack over time.

In my third year with Thumtack, the company completely went off the deep end, changing its model seemingly constantly until I began to feel like its guinea pig.  But it got much worse.  The delicate balance/ratio of what Thumback made and what pros made on the deal was destroyed seemingly overnight, ratcheting up it's rate for leads @ 300-400% markup.  As if that wasn't bad enough, they created a monster to go with it:  Instant Match.  If the customer asks us a question, I am changed over $10 with no guarantee of booking an appointment.  And if that client does book and cancels, I am still out over ten bucks.  AND instead of my competition being four other therapists, now I'm competing with over ten!!!  What  is wrong with you people?  (Smoking too much dope up there in San Francisco?  You know they don't call it "loco weed" in Mexico for nothing.)

I don't use Instant Match and rarely send out quotes and only to those potential clients who live in my city.  My business  with Thumbtack has come to a standstill; I have only had one or two clients in the last few months.  I predict another geek will invent an answer to our concerns and we'll leave Thumbtack for good for nothing lasts forever, as they say.  That's what happens when CEOs get too greedy; they stop caring about the little people as much as themselves forgetting that the little people are paying their salaries. 

Finally, as of April, I have a new website (RiversideHolisticMassage.com) using Godaddy's "Go Central Online Store" which I don't need HTML to build and control at $29.99 a month.  I get business from Facebook and Google Maps, and live off my regulars and my social security pension.  Try Thervo.com as I'm thinking about signing on with that company.  I'm tired of being mad at Thumbtack.  I want to move on and am looking into how I can do that.  

Dave
Level 4

Getting charged for customers questions

I would like TT to have a button for customers to click on and this would be for customers who really need lawn and landscape work. Tired of bidding on jobs and they ask a couple of questions then as us as a provider we are charge for answering a question and not actually landing a job. They should be able to in some way of communicating if they have questions with a provider and then once hired the provider is charged.

Jb0070
Level 5

Re: Getting charged for customers questions

I agree with you 100%. I have been charged by thumbtack just for customers asking when I'm available, do I have references. Stupid stuff, but thumbtack still charges for " customers interest".
And also see what the cost of each bid is. I've paid more to bid on jobs than I've earned from it.