results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
jcp
Level 9

Pricing

I have several catagories I promote - under my video production services I can not list any sort of price range.  So people contacting me that dont know my price range - may or may not be a "match" for me to be promoted to.  So therefore, it's not a very filtered process and can be extremely costly.  The last 3 video production leads I was charged $26 each and was ghosted and one had a $200 budget and didn't book me because she couldn't afford me.  This needs to be addressed.  If I am to promote - then TT should do their very best to make it fair and balanced.  How is it right that people can reach out to us not knowing our basic rate.  Hourly rate.  Or something!  And to be charged in this fashion is not displaying the efforts of being a partnership with us Pros.    I hope to see this change soon. 

If we can not put in our rates of what we are selling . . . .  can you tell me how this is benificial to us?  

and I am getting paid, promote leads that are $26 and the customer has a tiny budget and doesn't know what they want - or they dont get back to me.

Occupations (1)
States
20 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Pricing

@jcp you make some very compelling points here. I'll make sure to document what you've expressed here about needing to be able to share your prices for video production, along with receiving leads where the budget is misaligned from your price. As always, feel free to let us know if you have anything else to add. 

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

Yes Kameron - it is very compelling that a company who facilitates the sale of our services - and allows for filters - and pushes the “get the right leads” to us - but doesn’t allow for us to show how much we charge the customer or a price range.
Lar
Level 9

@jcp  said ... It is very compelling that a company who facilitates the sale of our services - and allows for filters - and pushes the “get the right leads” to us - but doesn’t allow for us to show how much we charge the customer or a price range.

Yep. It's all about "getting the right leads" ... until Thumbtack get you the wrong leads and you request a refund and then all of a sudden its not about the right leads anymore its about the 'connection' - funny how the pitch changes like that isn't it.

Staying solutions oriented. Thumbtack should stop charging Pros for "wrong" leads. It's dead easy to tell when a lead is "wrong" and when a lead is "right".

Hey, even Thumbtack's CEO @MarcoZ thinks that's a good idea...I only want to charge you guys for leads that are worth your time and money. If I’m sending you something and you’re looking at it saying ‘not worth my time, not worth my money’ we haven’t done our jobs right.

Perhaps Thumbtack's product team should be more like @MarcoZ and focus more on providing solutions; that would be really super.

Regards,
Laurence.

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

@Lar - again - excellent quote search from Marco. Screen shot Smiley Happy.
0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Lar 

Excellent insight as always!!

I've had discussions before with Thumbtack that I charge a flat fee for events, depending on many factors. But they told me to try and incorporate that fee into hourly prices so I can show up high in the rankings. But if I hide my pricing, I risk being lowered in the rankings.  And I also agree with what @jcp said about "It is very compelling that a company who facilitates the sale of our services - and allows for filters - and pushes the “get the right leads” to us - but doesn’t allow for us to show how much we charge the customer or a price range."

The other thing may I add, we don't know what the lead cost is when using Promote until the Job Poster reaches out to us and we get charged. And how is that lead considered the "right lead" for us ? Only we know if a lead is right for us for various factors, but we're not given the chance to review leads anymore, unless they come through the Jobs Tab, and those local leads are very far and few between. In my business, I get leads from other sources daily, and can't commit to a lead via Thumbtack if I'm holding a date for another Job Poster, or regular customer. Which is why seeing the lead ahead of time is very important, but Thumbtack doesn't seem to understand that. Maybe the Moderators do, but the people that they supposedly pass our feedback more than likely don't understand it.

@LarI also agree with you saying that "Thumbtack's product team should be more like @MarcoZ and focus more on providing solutions; that would be really super."

Maybe @MarcoZ and his team will have solutions coming out very soon to help us.

DJ Stevie 5-10-2019

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

Karmeron ~ What I would like to add is that this week I had a customer reach out to me for still photography for a wedding - on Promote so it cost me $18.98 automatically.  Customer request was listed as 4 hours with a budget UNDER $500. Because we put in our price, keep our calendar up to date, have our preferences clearly listed AND include our "starting" rate . . . .   how is it that this customer is seeing my profile on Promote when my "starting rate" is clearly marked as $125 an hour.  For one, the customer should be able to put in their specific budget.  "Under $500" could mean $300.  If not specific - The customer is able to contact me - me get charged the fee - only to find out that his budget is actually $400 and wants a photographer for 4 hours.  That doesn't include the pros time to travel or to edit or prepare photos for delivery.  Also, the customer initial contact statement to me is a generic "when are you available" - - -   I am available that day otherwise they wouldnt have seen my profile.  These are things that are happening where us Pros are getting charged these erroneous charges and we are not getting "refunded" for.  

Anyway,  this is NOT my customer - and my profile should have never beenn presented to this customer.  This is exactly why I fill out all the preferences and pay for promote so I do not get custmers like this.  Sure it would be exactly $500 with my rate and the hours the customer is requesting, but the customer request is UNDER $500.  Only to learn they don't even have $500. 

When I requested a refund - because this customer is outside of my preferences listed - therfore I should never have been promoted to this person.  And like the quote from @MarcoZ - restated in this feed by @Lar -  this lead is not worth my time, not worth my money,  but I was sent a response to my request for a refund that said NOT ELIGIBLE because it matches my travel, job and availability preferences.   What about my starting price?  That is just as important! 

That is why UNDER $500 is not specific either.  If a customer puts in specifics like $200 budget for 8 hours for a wedding photographer - you going to send this lead out to everyone?  No.  This is wrong - and that I did not get a refund on this is one of many, many things that is not showing complete partnership and understanding with the TT team and the TT pros that are paying for this service.  Cut and dry . . .   NOT ELIGIBLE for refund.  

Can you answer that for me?  Why I got this lead, why this person was able to contact me and why I can not get a refund on a lead that is outside of the scope of my preferences . . .     

Moderator Kameron

@jcp situations like this can certainly be tough as a pro. While the system matched everything else, the customers budget being lower than a pros listed prices is something I've begun to hear occurring more frequently. When this does happen we encourage pros to reaffirm their pricing with the customer, and list all that goes into their prices and great service to help the customer understand what they're paying for. At the same time, I understand how it may feel like this isn't as serious of a lead as others with a more aligned budget. I'd like to take a second look at this lead with you if you'll direct message me the customer's name. I'll be making sure to share this example and feedback when it comes to customers and their budgets as well.

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

I’ll respond here - so my fellow pros can learn from these situations. customer is Pete H. I do appreciate your response however what is really unsettling when TT is continuing to make a profit off these mismatches and then don’t refund us. Sure we can do the sales pitch on how great we are - the bottom line is - we are encouraged constantly to keep our preferences up to date so we “get the right leads” and UNDER $500 is not a lead based on all my preferences. Period. Then when the customer has even less to spend, I shouldn’t be wasting my time on a sales pitch. Period. I should never, ever have been promoted to this person. And TT to decline my request for a refund when clearly this customer is outside my preferences shows the true disconnect of TT, does not show support to us pros - who have been through a costly process as TT tries to figure out this system to make it fair and balanced. It would be nice to have TT be a little more forgiving in these cases. Big picture - TT promote us been bringing new clients and bookings for me. But as a self employed pro - every penny counts and when the cost to for me to continue doing business with TT has almost tripped - it all matters. I oversee ever single lead I get.
Moderator Kameron

@jcp thanks for getting back to me with that additional info. While the contact from that customer is not eligible for a refund, it will be an example that will be added to the feedback you've shared with us here in this thread. 

0 Kudos