Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Lar
Level 9

Promote Issue

I want to highlight a persistant issue that happens with Promote.

By way of an example I received a promoted lead for a two hour walkaround gig (I'm a Magician) that is two hours drive away.

Promote quoted the client $250; their budget is $200-$300. This would be about right if the client was a one hour local walkaround gig.

My fee for a two hour walkaround gig is more than a one hour walkaround gig. Additionally a four hour round trip is a expense that I also need to account for. My actual fee for this type of gig would be $500 which is way off the estimate and more that the client's budget.

Unfortunately the pricing options in Promote do not allow me to specify an hourly rate for walkaround gigs nor is there any option to specify travel expenditure for gigs that are not local.

The result is that on occasion clients like this one will receive an estimate via Promote that is way out of line with my actual pricing. I have informed TT of this issue on multiple occasions and I am awaiting a resolution.

I have all my pricing and fee structure detailed in my TT profile so that the propsective client can see my fees up front should they care to view my profile.

I accept that the Promote quoting system is merely an 'estimate', every gig is different.

However, in instances like this where my fee and the clients budget are so far apart I don't believe that I have a reasonable expectation of closing the deal. I could come down from $500 a bit, but not by $200 - the gig wouldn't be worth it.

In the old TT system I wouldn't have quoted on this lead because experience has shown me that on the rare occasions where they actually hire a TT Pro they'll usually go with a local Pro whose fees are more in line with their budget. 

Have any Pro's here who are using Promote experienced a similar issue?

Regards,
Laurence.

Occupations (1)
States
34 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Promote Issue

@Lar thanks for sharing. You've definitely brought up some valid points here that I think will be useful for us as we work to improve the new experience for both customers and pros. I'm glad this is something you've shared with us before, but since you've taken the time to describe it so well in writing I'll be adding this example as well in your feedback. 

0 Kudos
JamStrip
Level 4

I am having the exact same problem... Possible clients will click on me for more information because I'm promoting and it says my price is $200 per an hour. What it fails to say is I have a 6 hour minimum for most weddings. It's not giving me a way to say hey this is my minimum wedding package. So say someone is a 2 hour drive from me and they want a videographer or photographer for one hour they are expecting it to only cost $200. First of all I'm not driving 2 hours for only $200! I might consider the job if it's down the road from me less with than a 30 minute drive and it's next week and I have nothing on my schedule, but if they are trying to book me 6 months out for a Saturday than I don't want that lead either. And because I'm promoting I'm stuck paying for that lead as well. This again just makes me want to leave Thumbtack. I thought I would give it a go after not using it for years, but it's really gotten worse than better. I don't want to pay $50 for a lead that isn't a guranteed sale. I'm working with other sites where the cost is half the price and I only pay it after the client is actually booked! Thumbtack gets a lot of leads, but to me so far they are the cheapest of the cheap looking for bottom of the barrel pricing and they are comanding above average pricing per a lead. This is not a substainable business model.

Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this @JamStrip! It's super helpful for us to hear feedback like this so that we can send it to our Product Team. If you have any other suggestions that you think would be helpful for us to know, don't hesitate to reach out. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

Thanks for replying Kameron, hopefully TT will work on making the Promote feature more robust so that the estimates it presents to potential clients are more accurate. That's a worthwhile goal (or it should be) because it means that Pro's who use Promote won't end up paying for leads with budgets that are way less than the Pro's are willing to accept.

Promote is supposed to provide me with leads that meet my hiring criteria. That's what I pay for. I am supposed to pay for TT putting me in touch with the right leads.

I object to paying for leads who's budgets are so far below my clearly stated fees that I cannot reasonably be expected to close or even want. This is a serious failure of Promote. 

The main reason I have enabled Promote is because of the way it impacts your positioning in the Search results. With Promote enabled you'll be near the top along with others Pro's who have also enabled Promote. If you want to give yourself the best chance of being 'seen' in a Search then you need to enable Promote. If you're not on the first page of Search results then it's likely that some end-users aren't going to scroll down and 'see' you let alone click on you to view your profile.

Which brings me to another question.

What does TT actually define as a 'View' on the Insights page? My understanding is that a 'View' is any time you 'appear' or are 'included' in an end-user Search.

If that's true then although you may 'appear' or be 'included' in the Search if you're not on the first page and the end-user doesn't scroll down then they're not going to actually 'see' you. This may explain why a lot of Pro's are seemingly getting lots of 'Views' but no leads. 

The word 'View' is quite misleading; The term 'Searches' would be more accurate.

A beter definition of 'Views' would be the number of times an end-user has actually found you via a Search and clicked on you to 'view' your full profile.

That would be useful.

Regards,
Laurence.

Moderator Kameron

@Lar great question! On the Insights page, a listing view will be counted any time the pro is present on the customer's screen, so in order for a view to occur for a pro further down the list, the customer would actually have to scroll. We also count profile views as well so that pros know how many customers have actually clicked on that pro from the search list. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

Thanks Kameron,

I just has a long conversation with TT support who are insistant that 'Views' does actually correspond to the number of profile views. I don't agree with their assertion, I agree with yours Kameron which confirmed that that Views is the number of times you appear in a Search.

I think that TT is tracking Views on the initial load of the Search page and additionally when an end-user clicks the "Load More" button at the bottom of the search results to load more Pro's.

When the Search page initially loads is loads the Search results for 10 pros. All 10 of those Pros on that initial page regardless of whether the user scrolls down or not will get their views increment by 1. That's how I think this is working. I doubt that TT is actually tracking the Views individually when the user merely just scrolls down a page. Super inefficient to do it that way because you'd be updating the View stats on every scroll and people can scroll very quickly.

If an end user scrolls down to the bottom and clicks "Load More" then 10 more pros are displayed and their views get incremented by 1. That makes sense.

Where do I find my actual profile views in insights Kameron?

Regards,
Laurence.

Moderator Kameron

@Lar it seems like there may have been a miscommunication. I apologize for the conflicting answers, but the number of listing views along with the number of profile views can be found on the first page of your Insights

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

Thank you for the clarification Kameron.

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

I feel like the scrolling thing makes no sense as the count could change based on what zoom level the user has their browser set to.  I will see far fewer pros if my zoom is at 150% vs 60%.