Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Lar
Level 9

Re: Promote Issue

I agree MR. I've done a lot of website development and data analysis in the past and tracking 'views' as the page is being scrolled would be super inefficient and a real pain programatically. I can't imagine that 'Views' at that level of granularity.

MR
Level 10

I have posted here my Insights summary for the past 4 weeks so far. These numbers are pretty representative of what I see each period since the changes have been put in place. Promote is ON for all of these categories.

When you view these categories as a customer, I am almost always ranked in the top 3 pros.

My guess is that the "views" is primarily the number of times that I appear in a search, and not the number of times someone actually clicks on my profile.

From this, it appears that the customers shopping for pros on thumbtack have a very low confidence level that they will be getting what they want. They look - but they have no intention of actually buying. Less than 1% of the views actually become "leads". That's an incredibly low number.

My profile is detailed and accurately describes what I do, I have several pictures posted, I have all 5-star reviews. What more can I be doing???  In this post the issue is not cost, nor is it how to follow-up with leads - Here it is all about why the volumes of leads are so low. Less than 1% of the shoppers becoming a lead that I can pursue makes this a horribly ineffecient marketing tool. 

What can I be doing better here?  Or is it not me... maybe something else is going on??

TT numbers.png

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@MR 

It's not you, nor is it me or any other Pro. I believe that the number of  views are when we appear in a search. I want to see the customer who click on my profile, not just see numbers.

Like you, I have all 5 Star reviews, my work is in detail in my profile, more pics/videos, everything that Thumbtack suggested that I do. But why does it always come back that it's my fault, nor is it your fault..are we not doing something right? I posted something similar to this yesterday, and they moved it to another thread, but they NEVER replied to it.  You took time to reply, and I thank you for that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MR
Level 10

@DJStevie 

Thanks, 

Something is definately wrong or off though. And now I am seeing why so many of the leads I actually get do not respond. My guess is the TT customer in many cases is just looking to see what is out there. I do see that TT does rank very high when doing a google search for my areas. The attached example ranked just under the top 3 ads and the Google Local hits - so they are definately working hard at the SEO. I tried it (see attached images)- I clicked on the google search link, then clicked on the TT "Find a pro near you" screen and bingo.. there I was.. and I just logged a view of my profile.. as fast as the screen showed up I closed it and moved on...So, I incremented my profile view with no intention of actually finding a pro in TT. I just stumbled upon it. in my simulation. My guess is people had no intention of going to TT to find the pro, but clicked on the search hit in google just to see what they would get.. and that's how we see the really high view numbers- so I am not sure they really are meaningful. As you and many have said here, would be far better to see the number of times someone actually opened my profile . But, they close the TT window as fast as they open it because that is not where they expect to find the pro they are looking for. 

So maybe now I am seeing why the views number is so high - and why it is really not of much value in the way it is calculated.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.43.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.50.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.50.33 AM.png

MR
Level 10

Oh and by the way.. it is very careless. Look at the Google search hit for female attorneys shown below. When yiou click on the link to find female attorneys in your area, 7 of the 10 attorneys you see are male. So immediately the consumer is suspicious as the site did not give them what they asked for and they move on to somewhere else.  However - all of the attorneys who showed up in the search incremented their "views" tally by one - artificially making the attorneys feel like a lot of people are out there looking for them.... when in reality are not.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.43.38 AM.png

MR
Level 10

Sorry - and one more thing. Look closely at the google search result for Thumbtack attached to the above post. It shows one 5-start rating. What is that??? is that a 5-star rating for Thumbtack??  - so here it looks like the TT search result is almost spam or clickbait and not a legitimate source of quality pros.

Moderator Kameron

@MR @DJStevie as I mentioned to @Lar we do show the number of lisitng views along with the number of profile views in your Insights page

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

True - but only in aggregate, not by service offering, so that is of limited value.

However, My comments are still relevant to the value pros are receiving as a marketing tool. If others disagree, please chime in.

Lar
Level 9

Avoiding Issues With Promote

Because of the ongoing issues with the Promote feature in TT here is an easy  proactive way that may help you overcome some of those issues until such time as TT is able to resolve them.

On your Calendar block out every day for the next couple of years.

If a new lead wants to "Check Availability" or "Request a Call" or reaches out to you in any way their message will appear in your Inbox but you will have the option of either declining their request or replying to it. 

If you decide to decline the lead's request for whatever reason then you won't be charged. 

If you decide to reply to the lead's request you will be charged and you will know precisely how much that charge will be.

Sometimes you may be unsure as to whether you should decline or reply to the lead's request.

Maybe you need more information from the lead or you need them to clarify some aspect of the job before deciding whether to decline or reply.

In these instances contact TT support and ask them to liase with the lead on your behalf to obtain the additional information or clarification you require. TT support should be happy to assist you. Once you have the additional information or clarification you require you will be able to make a more informed choice as to whether you want to decline the lead or reply to the lead and be charged.

Regards,
Laurence.

0 Kudos
djashraf
Level 4

Re: Avoiding Issues With Promote

Great advice. I have throwing about $250/week with silly requests thast do not fit my profile. Thanks

0 Kudos