Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
ptlola
Level 5

Pros are suffering

As I am running into walls with Thumbtack, and I am trying to communicate some common-sensical needs, I am reaching the end of my rope. Right now, I just finished talking to an agent who basically insulted me as a pro, and doesn't understand the different variable of pricing; and how the current targeting preferences that can work against the pro. So to communicate a point, I went into Thumbtack as a guest, and submitted a ridiculous request to 4 pros for an 8 hour wedding for a budget of $125. I feel sorry for the pros that now got charged for my ridiculous request. But to communicate a point, this is what I have to deal with often on Thumbtack. I have to deal with requests that fit my budget preferences; however, they don't align with my pricing. In other words, I want weddings that cost $300 to shoot but I am not going to shoot 6 hours of a wedding for $300. I will shoot 1 hour maybe for $300 but now 6 hours. But today, "customers" can do pretty much anything and request pretty much anything at the expense of the pro. I don't know how to communicate this to Thumbtack but I need your help pros to push this message along. This is ridiculous. Pros are hurting and suffering as Thumbtack continues to make money from us from really faulty and corrupt practices. You are enabling really bad behavior and business practices to continue on your platform at the expense of the pro. Please resolve this for me, and for all pros.

States
5 responses
JoeB131
Level 7

Re: Pros are suffering

@ptlola  Probably why it's best not to use Targeting or whater they are calling it this week. you end up paying for leads that aren't appropriate at all.  

The simple enough solution- Only charge pros for hires.   Instead of paying money for the customer or the pro to figure out it's really  not a good match, you only charge the pro when the customer or the pro confirm a hire took place.  

@ptlola we never want you to feel insulted and we apologize for the negative experience. I understand where your frustration lies with requests that fit your budget preferences, but not aligning with your pricing. Although I don't have an immediate fix for you, I'll be sure to send your feedback to the appropriate teams and include the example you provided (the details are helpful for us to hear.)

As far as you creating an inauthentic request, that's not something we allow on Thumbtack so we want to make sure we get that taken care of. Could you please send me a private message with the email address in which you created that request from so we can ensure those pros contacted get a refund?

So only bogus customers who admit it cause refunds?  My "leads" almost never follow through.

@AndrewCasanave it can really depend on the situation. Our system looks for certain signals and will stop inauthentic leads from even getting to the pro, and if any get through our system can pick those up as well and refund for them if necessary. However, nothing's perfect and from time to time pros may need to let us know if a lead stands out as suspicious. You can follow the steps in this article to report suspicious activity.

0 Kudos
lmheim
Level 6

I have to agree with you on some points.  I am new to Thumbtack and while I haven't been insulted directly, I have received NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER to requests/comments sent to management through LinkedIn (since I don't know how to contact them otherwise).  My biggest issue is that - by design - most of my gigs are $50 - $75 and Thumbtack takes $10 - $20 of that for their fees.  This is a ridiculous percentage - there should be some type of tiered pricing based on the total project revenue received.  Plus, I keep paying for opportunities that

(a) aren't what I do because some of the relevant Thumbtack categories are too broad (like handyman).  I modified my profile to include a statement at the very beginning explaining what I do and if a customer needs something outside of that, I am not the right person - but I keep having to pay for those leads anyway.

(b) that go nowhere, meaning the customer never responds, but I pay for those regardless.

These are all flaws in Thumbtack's business model that we as pro's all pay for.  I am fairly close to quitting Thumbtack altogether because of this and the inability to get any response to my inquiries.