Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Hankster
Level 10

Service Pros - What Is Your Refund Policy?

Fellow service pros. Question for you. You've been hired for a job, event, etc. contract signed, deposit paid & you're paid in full prior to the job or event date. An illness or unforeseen circumstance occurs & you cannot work that job or event. What is your refund policy if you had to cancel an event, job, etc. because of that? I'm a DJ service pro. My refund policy is I would pay the customer back any money that they have paid me. I have a non-refundable deposit policy, but I would pay them back that deposit as since I'm having to cancel. I would also do my best to find my customer a DJ service to perform at their event. Look forward to seeing your responses back.

Hankster 7/24/19

0 Kudos
15 responses
Hankster
Level 10

Re: Service Pros - What Is Your Refund Policy?

Was hoping to have heard back from service pros on your refund policy. Please post your response here or direct message me. Have a great day!

Hankster 7/25/19

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Hankster 

I've refrained from commenting on many threads at the moment, but felt the need to comment here.

Three years ago when my mother died on Friday of Thanksgiving weekend, I had to cancel 3 events and refund all deposits and payments. Customers fully understood. It's a no-brainer to refund when no work has been performed. When I returned from Long Island, NY from the funeral, I was surprised to hear that one 55+ community rescheduled their event because they wanted only me to DJ for their Christmas event. And was also surprised that they also had gifts for me. They even paid me, including a tip.

As for customers cancelling, even though I have a non-refundable deposit, I do refund if a customer has a family emergency, accident, etc. I just can't keep that money as it's not what I feel that God wants me to do. And it's a part of who I was raised to be.

But if a customer cancels because they "went a different route", or cancelled their event, then I keep the deposit, as it states in my contract. Also, in that contract, it states what I mentioned above about refunding in case of family emergencies, etc

Hope this helps my friend.

DJ Stevie 7-25-2019

Hankster
Level 10

Thank you for your experiences & sharing this @DJStevieI appreciate your insights as always, my friend. Have a good day! Let's catch up on FB messenger some time.

Hankster 7/25/19

Moderator Meckell

Thanks for sharing @MR @DJStevie and @TheLast10SF!

MR
Level 11

@Hankster  If the client paid a retainer I would certainly return the money back to the client. I would never consider keeping a dime of the client's money if my representation of them had to end because of my own doing. Now that said, I would bill for the time worked on the case if I had to get out in the middle of the case. But, there is never the notion of a non-refundable payment if no work is performed.

Hankster
Level 10

@MRthanks for your insights. I usually get asked 'What's my recourse if something happens to you & are not able to DJ our event'? I've een been asked in some cases if I'm in good health during the phone conversation, video chat  or in person meeting. I'm 57 years old & in great health. Some of the younger customers I've met with must seem to think that look like I'm over the hill which I dont. I put a disclaimer in the contract that states 'If for some reason due to illness or unfortunate circumstance I am not able to make this event I will reimburse you back the entire amount & do my best to find you a DJ service for this event'.

Have a good day!

Hankster 7/25/19

0 Kudos
MR
Level 11

@Hankster  Seems like a fair and reasonable provision in your contract.. and the lead would have little ability to balk at it if it really did occur because it is in your agreement. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@CLGPatrick @pratriciaN @LZDNVG @TheLast10SF @pgrether do you guys have any insight that you can share with @Hankster?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheLast10SF
Level 7

@Hankster For me some of it has to do with how much notice you can give. If it's a couple weeks out, then full refund is a fine resolution. If it's within a few days or same day and you want to minimize the chance of a poor review, I would probably hire/pay someone else myself and let the client know about circumstances so there's really no impact on the customer (other than having a different person show up). 

My work (furniture building) is not so time/event sensitive. Upfront I ask for a 25% non-refundable deposit to block time on my schedule but it's a very general timing promise (toward the end of September, as an example). Sometimes it takes me longer but I think customers are just so used to building projects running longer it's not been an issue. I've not had a circumtance where a customer cancelled a project, but if that happens I'd probably give them their deposit back because I just don't want the possibility of a poor review hanging out there. I've had one circumstance where a customer was just not happy with a piece (backstory is they wanted to double scope but not pay me any more), so I ended up charging them for materials only and not completing the project. 

Hope that helps.