Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
lisasshields
Level 6

The future decline of Thumbtack due to "instant match" and now "promote"

I've used Thumbtack since 2015. I was very happy. But ever since Thumbtack made the unnecessary changes known first as "INSTANT MATCH" and now "PROMOTE." I have been extremely disappointed. 

1. The list for customers to view is too long and overwhelming. Customers will go for cheaper bids and those customers may be disappointed with what they get.

2. Pro's are resentful that they are being given an ultimatum: pay to play or don't appear on the mile long list. 

3. If everyone "pays to play" aka. "Promote" themselves, the list is just a big list of every pro on thumbtack in that category. Sure some will appear higher than others but the only feature that will be standing out to potential customers is their price and so you have just elminated a large percentage of pro's who charge more because they are more pro and experinced, hence decline in quality of work. 

4. Paying for quotes on job I wouldn't want to apply for because instant match services section isn't helpful. I'm willing to travel further for some jobs than others, etc....

5. Paying for quotes, technically being hired, and customers not following through or replying with a direct message (happens way too often I don't want to have to waste my time calling thumbtack to reimburse me).

6. Thumbtack's sneaky use of allowing clients to automate a reply or message in order for pros to have to fork up and pay. 

CONCLUSION: Instant match doesn't work for customers either. pro's should all just be allowed to send bids like it was before "instant match" and "promote." PROBLEM SOLVED. 

I loved Thumbtack and now I'm so disappointed. I hope my message gets through to other Pro's.

Please repost this message or voice your opinions in your own way so that the higher ups will take some notice. I know Thumbtack used to appreciate feedback. I hope whoever is in charge of these changes hasn't take over everthing. 

11 responses
MR
Level 11

Re: The future decline of Thumbtack due to "instant match" and now "promo

@lisasshields Your post ressonates with sio many of us - virtually all of us on these boards has been vocal, some for months, tryingto advocate for change.

Your post hits the bullseye.. More and more people are joining the hit parade every day trying to get TT to knock it off and go back to a model that worked well for so many of us.

Many of us cut our teeth opening up our businesses on TT and TT can be thanked for our original customers. I hazard to guess that most of our businesses would not have survived if this model were in place when we started.

TT had a good thing going - they apparantly just didnt realize it.. or their focus is in a different place than ours.

Thank you for your posts - we applaud you and welcome you to the community!

lisasshields
Level 6

so annoying that Thumbtack's system can't accept quote marks and so my title looks nuts and less people are likely to read it. This gives me less hope of things changing back to the good ol' days. 

I will post again! 

I will also reply to you more in depth later but in the meantime THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY! Yes! I know many Pro's on Thumbtack feel the same way we do. We are right!

Hopefully Thumbtack catches on!

Moderator Kameron

@lisasshields sorry to see that your title wasn't posted correctly. The Community pages do accept quotations, so you should be able to edit your title or I can do so for you if you'd like. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

Re: The future decline of Thumbtack due to "instant match" and now "promote"

@lisasshields  I want to thank you for taking the time to share these concerns, and frustrations here. While there were pros like you having great success with the older system, that wasn't the case overall and some changes had to be made in order for Thumbtack to become even more sustainable and work for a greater number customers and pros. The new system lets us give customers the instant results they expect and is indeed working for customers and pros alike as we're seeing a healthier marketplace than before. We want this new system can work for you as well, and we believe it can. Just know that the hardest and biggest changes are behind us, and we are determined to make refinements in order for this new system work even better. A big part of that is through pro feedback that we hear here in the Community, support channels, and the in-person pro events that we host around the country. Know that we truly value pro voices, we are listening intently and gathering all the constructive feedback and ideas that we can, identifying trends, finding solutions, and working to implement them. It will, however, take some time. 

In #4 you mention that the selections available to you aren't as helpful as you'd like. I see that you're currently promoting, but if you have some specific ideas that you'd be willing to share in regards to those preferences and your category I'd be happy to pass those along to our developers for review. 

0 Kudos

i kinda like the weird way t-tack destroyed the title of Lisa's remarks. sorta tells you something right up front. I've been on TT since it started. the recent changes are about profit. i get it. not so much about service. and of course the cost to reply to some kind of ask by a customer has gotten way out of line. since 2009, i spent about $800 a year using TT. guess that wasn't enough. But it seemed appropriate. now, to spend $800, would have to spend $66 a month. on average, that is the new cost of one lead! so the average to win a project has been reduced. Because the system has not gotten the process right? I understand that TT represents a lot of different very different industries. But the homework done for my industry was very very light. I did see TT had a real pro consult at one time. Don't see the results as adequate. I've been very responsive making suggestions to 'better' the system. Have not gotten any results. And for example, a pretty small project, sort of trick to get, and about 1.5 hours drive from my workplace, the price is $75 upfront to just talk to the potential client. Ok TT, here's the truth. Practically every request is made by a rookie. and it takes some q and a to get it sorted out. and for the rookie to begin to understand the process. they are spending a bunch of money on the product, but not necessarily the services. so kinda wondering how the fees are developed. i've suggested many times to get a real pro involved. fact is, you can't get all the answers off google. fyi- i lived in Palo Alto for a few years, so yes, i do get the 'top down' attitude of Stanford CS grads.....if you wanna get it right, has to be a 'good deal' and it has to be useful. TT has backed off the attitude significantly. and BTW: if you don't get pros hired, you don't get happy customers, oops!!!! and i did try promoting, and it was just nutz! and Kameron, nice tie! i had 200 at one point. only have 50 now, and last time i wore a tie, was told i should, it was completely unnecessary. you gotta see my t-shirt collection! oh, did see something about 'community events'. is that a digital thing? i lived in the 5th largest city in the country, have been on TT 10 years, and not once heard about a 'event' here, with real people. it's about 90 plane ride here, so not really that difficult. (i do it once a year to visit friends, and if you want me to stop in the office next time, let me know!)

what is 'level #' for? try not to be obscure....

Moderator Kameron

@marcarchitect the level # shown by your name in the Community refers to your activity level here in the forum.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@marcarchictect, while the prices have indeed increased over the years, please also keep in mind that so has what you pay for. Before you would pay for each quote that you sent regardless of whether the customer actually even responded. Now you only pay when the customer either responds to your quote, or took the time to find, compare, review, and contact you from the list of other pros available. This has shown overall to be of much more value than in the system we used in the past. 

I want to thank you for taking that time to share specific thoughts and feedback for your category when speaking with our teams. We do often consult and take feedback from pros such as yourself who are actually involved in their specific line of work. I'm sorry that the suggestions you've made have not yet been added, but just know that we're constantly working to improve on all fronts. We've been sharing our monthly updates in the Community to better keep pros in the loop of what we've been working on. You can check out our latest one HERE

We do hold Pro Events at various cities around the country every so often. Keep an eye out for more posts about these and hopefully someday soon you'll be able to attend. 

0 Kudos

Kameron - kinda think you  are missing the point. TT is not working better! it is sending the wrong customers to the pros. and the info the customers are using is not getting the job done, at least in the building development field.  As i said, it's a learning process for rookies and the Q/A process i have to do involves many steps. It's not impossible to get it corrected. I know what kind of info should be collected. For example, often times i'm dealing with peoples life savings, so i don't take it lightly. And getting the right info, to give the correct fee, so they get the right result, is not so simple. a bit of a tip toe thing.  it definitely ain't getting the oil changed in your car, and we know even that gets screwed up!