results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
SuzanDoer
Level 4

Re: How can we block leads from customers who want us to essentially volunteer our services?

I am having the exact same problem and I am ready to delete my account here. I am paying $16 for pathetic leads. I have $100 in fees this week and only 1 $95 job that cost me more than that to do.
Highlighted
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: How can we block leads from customers who want us to essentially volunteer our services?

I’m a caterer.
You know how many times I have paid for a lead that is looking to have my services donated for a good cause.

A lot
Moderator Kameron

@ScottArcangel this scenario is one I've heard from a few different pros recently. I think one great suggestion that I've heard about this, and you slightly mentioned it yourself, is possibly adding the customers budget to the options in your targeting preferences. In that case, the customer that reached out to you with a much lower budget would not be an exact match. Do you feel like that could be a fair solution?

@Kameron 

@Meckell (we've talked about this scenario many times)

Here is what I got from the pro -

"Hi Scott I'm looking for someone who can donate their time to this event because we are sending all profits and proceeds 2 Military working dogs and their handlers overseas and we are nonprofit organization called the Knights of Columbus If you were to play the event I would need the person there by 10 to 12 we do have a power outlet on the common I just have to talk to the chief on where it is What does b event that would interest you we can offer a free t-shirt and food and maybe the gas money and if not I can pay the gas money out of pocket"

I was denied a refund.

This person wants me to play for free.

I feel taken advantage of by the customer and by Thumbtack.

Moderator Meckell

We definitely don't want you to feel taken advantage of @ScottArcangel. Go ahead and send Kameron or I a private message with the name of the customer and we'll look into this for you!

0 Kudos

@Meckell 

@Kameron 

I do sincerely appreciate your response Meckell. 

I already asked for a refund and was denied - because Thumbtack believes this meets their criteria for a valuable lead.

The problem is in Thumbtack's system that believes that leads from nonresponsive clients, or clients who want you to volunteer services or provide discounts to the point where it becomes unprofitable, are quality leads that Pros should continue to pay for.

The best way to address it would be to fix a system that doesn't protect Pros from people looking to take advantage of us.

@Meckell @Kameron 

Well, as it turns out, I was NOW given a refund after pointing out that the customer blatantly told me he wanted me to "volunteer."

This is what I said from the beginning though - so it bothers me that Thumbtack wouldn't take it's Pros word over a customer.

The email states - 

"To keep Thumbtack safe and fair, we require pros and customers to meet the standards in our Terms of Use. The lead you shared doesn’t meet these standards, so we returned $6.03 to your Thumbtack balance and took action to remove this behavior from our site."

Of course it's from the do-not-reply@thumbtack.com address - so I'm hoping you can help me.

How can I follow up on exactly what action Thumbtack took, when it said they took action to remove this behavior from our site?

I would love to know exactly what that means. It reads as if they have made some policy change - and I'm hoping that is the case. It's what I've been asking for. It would be a sign of Thumbtack trying to protect its Pros.

Any help?

Moderator Meckell

@ScottArcangel I'm happy you got a refund for this. I initially asked for the customer's name because it did sound like something that would be within our refund policy, and if it was, I would be able to give you that refund. 

I'm happy to get your more clarification on this situation but do need the first name of the customer so I can look into it. Can you send that to me in a DM?

@Meckell 

Of course - I'll send you a PM, and always appreciate you taking the time to respond.

SuzanDoer
Level 4

No it is not a fair solution because it doesn’t work. We have all tried working your budget system choices, promoted choices, and other options and still keep getting “leads” that are not leads at all but customers not really ready to hire but just curious for a consultation. We COULD do that if you would give us a phone number and address which is a real lead. What you’re giving us is weirdo people who are trying to get more information for free most of the time.
You have all these ideas about how we should be “striving to win the customer’s business and having them as a future customer as well.” Well it doesn’t work that way in the normal business world in most of the trades here. They are going to be one time shot in the dark over the bow coming in at midnight when their emotions are running high and they are feeling desperate. And how Are we to answer those leads anyway? I mean we’re supposed to try to answer within the hour but if it comes in at 2 o’clock in the morning I’m not gonna see you until 8 o’clock in the morning and I’m I going to get penalized for not responding to it by 3 o’clock in the morning by Thumbtack computers?

1. Those in my profession who I see have 50 or more reviews that are 4 stars, when I do my own quote request from them, are very unprofessional with their responses of we can do anything give me your phone number. When they call me, they are slick salesman type voices wanting a deposit upfront and warn how time is of the essence and they need to get started immediately to be affective. $2,500 for a background check? You’ve got to be kidding.
If you read their 1 star reviews and there are a lot of them so I don’t know they are getting an overall 4 star rating? If you read them you would see how many TT customers are very upset and feel cheated by the lack of professional diligence for the money they are paying.
What does this mean? It means that some of your TT “pros” are very good at selling and not so good at telling the truth or following the laws in their states.
I am an excellent and caring private investigator who paid $16 for a lead that was dishonest. The customer claimed that he wanted to do a background check on a future tenant. But when I said great that’s what I do let’s get started (for $95), The customer comes back with this question, “can you also send me his Social Security number? “
I replied, “No, that is illegal in all 50 states, However if the customer has filled out a proper tenant application then you can ask for the Social Security number and he can choose whether not to give it to you. Since you say you have a form filled out if his Social Security number is on it and you give it to me then yes I can confirm that is his Social Security number; however, if the customer has filled out a proper tenet application then you can ask for the Social Security number and he can choose whether not to give it to you. Since you say you have a form filled out if his Social Security is number is on it and you give it to me then yes I can confirm that is his Social Security number.”
The tenant never responded back. Ever. I sent 4 more texts offering to start the work over 4 days.
I see that he has hired a different pro. One who charges $300 for a background check and I imagine is going to give the customer the social security number he is asking for which is very suspicious to me and illegal.
I send all this to TT for a refund of an illegal lead. TT denied my refund request as it is my job to work the customer. Well, the customer wanted something that no licensed PI would give to him unless he gave us the ss number himself. And, you have unethical PI’s on TT.
I have since paid for 6 more leads that not one customer has even responded to my “hello, how can I help you.”
Yet, despite reporting those and asking for refund which is only fair, you send me your standard email denying it and basically saying I am not good enough to get the customer.
Listen Thumbtack, one of these days someone is going to report your service as a place where possible illegal activity is taking place.
How to solve?
1. I am willing to give you a $500 deposit in advance to be one if you pros. Charge me a commission based on the final price. I much rather pay you $100 for a $500 job then $100 a week for no business at all.
.2. Change your form to the customers looking for leads for the industry working it. Ask your pros what information needs to be on the form and what to ask. For PI, there MUST be a “what is your final goal in this matter?”
Example, if customer asks for a location search on an ex wife or girlfriend, we cannot take it if there is a restraining order. If I had their phone number, I could call and find out what I need to know. I can’t accept TT leads that are vague as most of the time it is an illegal request made to a PI.
3. Most of the leads that do talk to me are sifting me for advice as a PI and after I tell them what they want from a PI is illegal, they go somewhere else on TT and hire another pro.
Your form is so incomplete and vague and irresponsible to the hiring of a PI that I am surprised you haven’t been contacted by authorities saying your customer form is borderline encouraging illegal activity.

I have been with you since 2015 and I want to keep going but your system of payment for leads and promotions is so off that I am ready to quit you.
Also I am notice 1 and 2 star recent reviews of you on google. You have more than just me unhappy with your service.
0 Kudos