Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: Thumbtack Automatic Quotes and high cost

I have passed on 13 events I would normally quote on since I got my last bill.

My business partners and I are in agreement that we can't blindly fire in the dark for that amount of money.

marcwkohler
Level 5

Yes, I agree.  I am no longer signed up for the automatic program.  The made sevral quotes were about $35 for fave paiitng, and both customers booked me, until I told them that the cost wol dbe three times that.  When i did start the program, I was spendng $45/week, for I had to pay for messages from a form that asked "Are you available for my date."  I never heard fom them again.  I am passing on most gigs today.  My best guess is that Thumbtack needs to understand that the ritual of asking for quotes may not be related to a real intention of hiring anyone.  Years ago, I stopped using Thumbtack, because I was convinced that customers were only findning our prices and then looking for cheaper vendors in thier neighborhoods.   I did come back, and did very well until thi Spring when the new system was started.   I guess i still pay the fee if i get a question, but at least, I  have stopped the silly low prices.    My hope is that we find a way to function as reasonably as the old system, and stil provide the income that it needs.  The fixed price for quotes seemed easier and a bit less expensive for vendors.  

It makes me wonder why TT thinks they have to hide the amount required for a quote if the customer contacts me or anyone else submitting quotes. Just have a pop-up saying what it will cost and let me decide instead of being so secretive. Maybe a little transparency?

aylads
Level 6

I agree with you. I do not like the surprise of the quote amount charge, especially when it is far high than it should be. I. $19 quote charge for a $100 job. I would like to see what the quote cost is and have the choice of opting out, especially if I believe I do not have the time to fulfill the quote. With the automatic quotes, you can't even decide if the date the client requests is good for you.
I solved that proplem by stopping all my instant matches. I really wish it would go back to the old way when I chose the client and sent out personalized quotes. When TT makes those changes, I will get involved again.
Moderator Jordan

Hey everyone. This was a tough thread to read through. Tough because it's sad to see how many pros are frustrated and also because I get it. I myself am a little frustrated. There have been a lot of changes and the transparency we prided ourselves in ... is a little less now. We understand if you have to take a step back, while we make changes, but we don’t want to lose you. We are in this with you and we will keep working until we get it right.

aylads
Level 6

Thanks for your response. I called TT and they we're happy to send me quotes and let me send a personal quote, which I was thrilled about. My suggestions to other pros is to contact TT support and have them turn off your instant quotes and have them set you up to receive manual quotes so you can make them cater to your needs and you can set the price. The cost will not change but they said that they are working on that.
0 Kudos

There's actually no transparancy. When I asked how they calculated what they were charging me, they said it was a trade secret they couldn't reveal! Imagine going to the mall and no prices are on the merchandise because they're trade secrets, and you think you just spent $35 and you get a bill for $400? Would anyone shop at that mall? Not for long!

I don't comprehend how you're working on getting it right when people so many people are repeatedly saying that automatic bidding doesn't work for their industry and yet it's thumbs intention to make EVERY category autobid? Everyone had the same issues and complaints here and on the web call, but the machine is still moving the opposite way of what we all need.

I'm very concerned I've taken more than a $10,000 hit to my gross sales this year because of the changes. Each year I've done about $20k more than the year before. So, this year, I'm on track to take a $30k hit.... the 10k I'm already down, plus the $20k I won't have in growth. Those are stats that are staggering, and I'm not the only one.

I'm not complaining. I'm emphatically trying to state my case. I want this system to work, but what has worked for 4 years has now been destroyed this year. The numbers don't lie, so when I see what mine say, I know the others are experiencing the same because they are facing the same problems with the system that no longer works for any of us.

Highlighted
GeorgeH
Level 8

Its nice to see a reply to all this chatter Jordan, but what is being done to solve it.  Thumbtack used to be very easy and simple to use.  I knew what I was paying for every time i sent a quote.  Now, with all the secrecy, it's like gambling instead of actually doing business.  Imagine if there were no prices listed on the products at the grocery store... how hesitant would you be to fill up your cart.  Better yet.. would you go to a gas station that didnt post thier prices?  This was my first visit to this community thread.  I had no idea that so many pros were feeling the same way I am about this "new and improved" thumbtack.  It has made me consider other options for my marketing budget for sure.

DJBWILL
Level 4

I been feeling this way for a long time. Until I got hit with a out rages cost of a quote. I have to find another way to reach Customers. I’m spending $400 or more a month on quotes. I’m paying 35% of profit on quotes and taking all risks. That’s not good business. I gots to find another way to get customers.
Moderator Meckell

Hi @DJBWILL. You're right, prices are higher than before. One thing to keep in mind is that you used to pay for every quote you sent, whether they contacted you or not. Since now you're only paying when they respond, it's more valuable than before.
Your concerns are valid, and I know pricing isn't perfect yet. I don't have an immediate fix for you right now, but know that we have a team working on this. It takes time to implement changes and it's going to take a little longer for us to make things better. Hang in there and feel free to reach out to me at any time with any questions or concerns. 

0 Kudos