results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
aylads
Level 6

Thumbtack Automatic Quotes and high cost

I have been with Thumbtack for 4 years and am seriously considering leaving. I loved the ability to offer personalized quotes so people got an idea about my business and what I offered. I could also set the price depending on the job and the cost was fair. Also, the price for quotes was wonderful and fair as well. Since this new automatic quote system came out, I have not been hired in four months and I am a Top Pro with over 51 hires. And you cannot turn the automatic quote off or you get zero quotes. I get quoted under budget and over charged. For example, I was hired for a realty shot. I usually charge $100 for a single home, up to 3000sq feet. This client was sent a cold quote for $100 for a 4 duplex condo, something which I would charge $200 for and then Thumbtack charged me $18, when it used to only charge me $5. So I only make $82 on a $200 job. I am losing money staying with Thumbtack. Another example is that I was charged $17 for a $150 headshot session and the client has not even hired me. That is a lot of money to lose. Back in the day, if I lost $6 for a quote that didn't pan out, it was not such a big deal, but those big numbers add up quickly. This is just two examples of many. I know you are all experiencing this change. 
Please excuse the rant. I am just so frustrated

Occupations (1)
50 responses
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: Thumbtack Automatic Quotes and high cost

I woke up this morning with a message from Thumbtack that my budget had been reached. Spent $175 on three quotes that were dead ends.

Brutal.

I fear the thumbtack of old is lost
Regets1
Level 5

I’m in the same boat. I’m a caterer and I spent $38 on two quotes. I don’t even know what type of event they were. I’ve been on Thumbtack 7 years. Hired 48 times, 34 great reviews. I’m done with Thumbtack now.
4SeasonsPest
Level 5

I feel the same way. I was spending about 300 a week and loving it because with as detailed as I could be I was turning over a VERY high rate of conversion so I literally didnt care how much a week I got to becasue the higher I spent, the more I made, plus I am a 'Top Pro' so that made things easier to close.. it was great. In under a year theyve gone from that to I'm spending maybe 20 a week right now just to keep it active and I'm looking for new option so I can just cancel. Super disapointed in them Smiley Sad

aylads
Level 6

I am doing the same thing. Being a Top Pro means nothing anymore either. Also, they used to put the type of jobs you did on the reviews so clients knee the kind of jobs you did. Not anymore. They even removed the list of the types of jobs you were hired for. As a photographer who is diversified, it helped.
DCFGCatering
Level 8

I 1000% percent agree with this

They used to list all of the job types I did.
Let the clients know what we were best at.

All my reviews still show the category

Yup... I'm 4 yrs here with a couple hundred hires, Top Pro with well over 100 5-star reviews. I used to get hired twice as much as "the competitiion"  when there were 4 others bidding, and I was always the highest price. The budget ranges they offer are insanely low and a fraction of the national average for photography work. This year I sat through Jan with no hires! Feb, maybe two jobs. March never really got off the groud. Last year I was busy in March. Now, with 15 people bidding, all those hobbyists who have no overhead and pay no taxes, and don't know what they're doing, suddenly make $100 session look like normal pricing, when 10 of them bid that! So the 3 real pros that bid suddenly look sky high when we're still even charging way less than the national average!

I'm sorry, but I can't do 20 hours worth of work for $100 - especially when my cost of acquisition to obtain a new client is $85. So, for $15, I'm supposed pay tax, insurance computer leases, internet services, auto expenses, rent, utiities... etc. Where's my actual pay? If my overhead for a job is $200 - $250 and I'm only getting paid $100-$200, I'm actually taking money out of my pocket to pay for their job! I don't make any money on a job unless I can upsell them on prints later. So, when it comes to a business headshhot session, at $195 I'm basically breaking even, and working for nothing because there's no upsell for prints on those jobs.

You've got to get a grip on your cost of acquisition and overhead! Old system or new, you've got to add up how much you spend to get hired once. Your $100 job is putting you in the hole! You'd be better off financially staying home watching cartoons. Then at least you wouldn't be spending more than you're making. Even if you're doing shoot-n-burn snapshots, you're still in the hole on $100 job. I cannot leave my studio for less than $295 and cannot work in studio for less than $150.

Thumbtack needs to give people budget options that are in line with national averages. A headshot session is $400 nationally. A wedding is $3500 nationally and $3800 in NY. Price options start at pennies and work up to only $2000, which is still half the national average! There isn't even a category that reaches average!!!

You're killing yourself and the industry when you don't charge proper rates. Get out the calculator and see what your numbers really are. You'll be shocked!

Couldn't agree more. A race to the bottom ends with everybody splat on the concrete. If we don't value ourselves as professionals, clients most certainly will not. Same reason you should never take free work or justify it by calling it "portfolio work." It just drives down expectatations of value.

stacedizzle
Level 4

I have experienced difficulties with this as well.  I have called and suggested that they include the quote price on a job like they used to.  I was charged $62 for sending a quote for therapy, when my quote was $60/session.  I didn't even get the job.  It used to cost me  roughly $15 to send a quote for therapy.  I get they need to make their money, but the prices are really unreasonable.  Tell me the price on the front end and let me make the determination if I want to quote on that job.