Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
dmajorphoto
Level 4

Re: Thumbtack Automatic Quotes and high cost

I am speculating that you are a moderator for Thumbtack and posting this to save your company because I have read hundreds of posts and NOBODY has had any sucess with Thumbtack except YOU. So honestly, you wasted your time with your post. I don't believe a word you wrote, and neither will any of the other people who are repeatedly burned by throwing their hard-earned moeny down Thumbtack's perverbial drain.

0 Kudos
mm
Level 7

Not sure who you were replying to in this thread but I can tell you this. Thumbtack did work for me quite well with an ROI of about 22:1. However, with the new system the leads have dropped to a trickle and response rates are very low.

LOL! I don't think TT would be bragging about running me to the ground working 16 hour days to keep up with the cheap jobs to keep my head above water. Smiley Wink Yes, those are my legit numbers. The old system worked to get a return on investment but you've definitely got to work you butt off for it, and know what your numbers are. I carefully choose what to bid on and what to pass on. This year is a whole different game! I don't know what it costs to put in a bid, so they've taken away my ability to take calculated risks. I am also now bidding on jobs lower than ever before because I've got to make up for the work I'm not getting, since I'm bidding every job against 15 people instead of 2-4. I don't think TT would claim that as bragging rights! LOL!

0 Kudos

I can say from personal experience from March through June of this year I made about $6,000 from TT leads. It probably cost me about $500, but who's going to argue with that return? This was of course before they turned on Instant in every photography category, which has decimated my returns. From now through to September I have four bookings from TT and one of those was booked way back in March. I understand it's a slow time of year, but I am quoting just as much as ever, I'm just not getting a response. It's rare that my quotes are even viewed anymore.

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Level 8

$500 cost that yielded $6000 of WORK, that may be a good return for an investment, but not for work. 

po-TAY-toe, po-TAH-toe... If I weren't spending it here I would be spending it on other forms of marketing to also get myself work.

0 Kudos
DJBWILL
Level 4

I just got charge $42 for a contract that I charge $300 for the event. That’s over 10%. I’m paying more for quotes than I paying for my car payment. The quote is getting higher and higher. I have to find more ways of getting my business out. I not making any money due to quoting system. I’m taking all risks, traveling,my equipment use,dealing with never satisfied customer and so on. And Thumptack took away my top pro Badge due to a mistake on there end. If anyone out there knows how to get(promote) business out there please help. I just can’t handle the cost of Thumptack.
0 Kudos
Michael123
Level 4

My thoughts exactly , and i know many other pros feel the same way. It is all about greed, just like many other companies that start making huge profits just to want more and more. This can be a downward spiral for many that get into this position. 

0 Kudos

@aylads - this is actually a stellar example of why the auto quoting doesn't work and is a bad idea.  Very few jobs can be put in tidy boxes with everything standardized.  Real jobs, like real life, are full of messy variables that instant match doesn't accommodate.

Inaccurate quotes don't help anyone.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
aylads
Level 6

I agree. Clients have their own personalized ideas. For example; A family photo shoot can include props, pets, multiple locations, clothing changes, included headshots of each family member, prints or no prints, different dates of availability. The date should do it alone. How does Thumbtack know what days I am available?
I turned off my automatic quotes but now I am only getting people who are conducting initial research or I am the last one to send them a quote since I have to compete against the automatic quotes. I am no longer using Thumbtack. It's a shame since I have been with them a while but I haven't gotten a job since April and I am supposedly a TOP PRO. Which I feel means nothing. It hasn't gotten me more work. Have a great day.