results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted
GeorgeH
Level 8

You wont pay for these......

How many times have we heard that we only pay for a lead if the customer responds?  That is not an accurate statement. 

In truth, you are charged immediately for the full price of the lead.. if the customer does not respond, you might be issued a "promotional credit", but you still pay. 

If what they were saying were accurate, the charge to your card would be refunded.  That is not what happens.  I'm sure this is all clearly stated in the TOS, but it is so very misleading when they tell us, "you only pay for leads when they respond".

25 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: You wont pay for these......

@GeorgeH to be clear. The times that a pro will pay for a lead are as follows:

A customer comes to Thumbtack and puts in a search for their project. They then sort through and choose which pro(s) profile to click on and reach out to directly. Due to the customer taking these actions and expressing enough interest to do so we constitute it as a lead and will charge the pro for that connection either through promotion, or if the pro accepts the lead on their own if they are not promoting. In this instance, we know that some pros have expressed some consistency in customers not returning to the conversation. It's something that we're working to solve for and hopefully prevent from happening as often.

The other is that the pro sees a job in the Jobs tab that they really think they could be a good fit for. These jobs are ones where the customer has reached out to another pro directly, but you may want to throw your hat in the ring to express interest. If the customer chooses to respond to your quote then you'll be charged.

In instances where you do receive a refund, it is outlined in our Terms of Use and Refund Policy that all sales on the site are final and that any refunds issued will be put back towards your account balance. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Level 8

@Kameron    "In instances where you do receive a refund, it is outlined in our Terms of Use and Refund Policy that all sales on the site are final and that any refunds issued will be put back towards your account balance. ".. that's not just a little bit misleading... it's a lot misleading....    Maybe it's just me, but when you say... "you wont pay for the lead"... and your AMEX card is charged, and the verbage on the lead details says clearly that I paid... Then it feels like I paid... Is there anything thumbtack is doing to make if feel like I'm not paying in these instances?

Lar
Level 9

They then sort through and choose which pro(s) profile to click on and reach out to directly. 

@Kameron- if a job poster reaches out to a Pro without first looking at their profile to see if they are a good fit, will the Pro (if they have Promote enabled) still be automatically charged?

Regards,
Laurence.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Lar if a customer reaches out to a pro through the search results and that pro is promoting, they will be automatically charged, yes.

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

When a job poster does a Search and selects a Pro and reaches out to that Pro they enter their job details. At the end of that process the job poster is presented with 3 other Pro's that he can 'tick' to also reach out to.

If the job poster 'ticks' one of more of those 3 Pros at this point will those Pros who are using Promote automatically be charged?

Regards,
Laurence.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

If the job details in the completed questions are a match for the promoting pros preferences, they will be charged. If there's something that's not a match, they will get the lead but it will be a be one that they can accept or decline without being charged.

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

So, if a job poster ticks you as one of those 3 Pros, and their job details match your preferences, and you are on Promote then you will be automatically charged even though the job poster hasn't actually seen your Profile.

Is that correct @Kameron?

Regards,
Laurence.

Moderator Kameron

@Lar correct, and certainly a fair point that you're making. I know this is something you and I have talked about before and your feedback on this subject is something I've made sure to share.

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Kameron
So then, why does Thumbtack have the conversation starters in the search engine as well? I believe that the conversation starters should be shown when/if the job poster clicks on a Pro's profile, this way we actually know if our profile is actually viewed!!! Then the job poster can read an in depth profile. Why didn't Thumbtack think of that? Perhaps you can pass that suggestion on, please.
Thanks
DJ Stevie