Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
DNGVideo
Level 6

Re: How is this fair?

@StoriesUpSTL And the typical response is, we don't guarantee a "reasonable" response, or a hire, just the initial message. And you are dung-out-of-luck for all things beyond your control. Refer to policy. So here we are.

0 Kudos
CHRFRE
Level 5

AVAILABILITY

IVORY.PNG

I got this from a customer who wanted to know if I was available for a job. I accepted and got charged for it, then got this responds from the customer.

"Thanks. We are looking at a couple other submissions and will respond today hopefully. Thanks again"

This doesn't make any sense to me and I hope someone else that gets it can explain it to me.

My understanding is that when you respond to a regular lead, you don't get charged for it until the customer responds, right? And I get that, but when you get a customer asking for your availability for a job I assumed that they've already seen your profile and wanted to work with you if you're available.

If the above statement doesn't apply then I would rather prefer thumbtack removing that so you know what you're getting.

Moderator Kameron

Re: AVAILABILITY

@CHRFRE I double checked to verify that you are indeed the only pro on Thumbtack that this customer has contacted. It could be possible that they are looking at other quotes, offers, prices on other sites as well. In this instance, the customer found and chose to reach out to you through their search results by asking for your availability. You then accepted the lead and responded which is the point at which you were charged for the connection. It looks like the customer is definitely considering you and if you don't hear back by the end of the day I'd recommend following up to try and close the deal. Let me know if you have any other questions!

0 Kudos
LPTediting
Level 5

@Kameron Are customers "vetted" in any way at the time of their inquiry for level of seriousness? There are many who will gladly tell you that they are not actually ready to proceed--and will not be for some time--but are researching prices to figure out average cost or trying to figure out what their next steps should be. In my case, I am an copyeditor and I get contacted by many first-time authors who have no clue what's next after they write the thing. So they've found Thumbtack and want to know "what's next" and I get the honor of PAYING for this "contact" who has only taken information from me and may actually ghost after that or hit me with a "thanks" and disappear into the ether. 

To some degree this is the cost of doing business but it would be beneficial if customers were able to disclose this "status" so that Pros could not only know where in the process these customers are but prioritize these inquiries against viable leads. Make sense? Also, we shouldn't have to pay full price for someone who is not serious. Any Pro would be hard pressed to close on customers who are in the "gathering information" phase and not the "ready to do business" phase. As someone who also consumes, the best salesperson in the world could not get me to spend money I am not ready to spend or simply don't have. 

It's something to consider...

Moderator Kameron

@LPTediting I'd recommend looking through the customer experience side of Thumbtack (without contacting pros) so that you can gain that additional insight. If you have an actual project you'd like done, even better and you can reach out to and hire a pro to get the full experience from beginning to end. Adding a question or two about where customers are at in the hiring process is something I've been hearing suggested more often and I'll make sure to share it on your behalf as well.

0 Kudos
LPTediting
Level 5

@CHRFRE Ugh. So frustrating. At least this person was kind enough to communicate that much. But to be charged so much for someone who is actively window/price shopping goes beyond the reasonable "cost of doing business." Customers should be advised that the service may be free for them to use, but it costs Pros to engage with them so they should be quite clear on their needs and SERIOUS when initiating contact. 

I find that TT customers--at least ones I come into contact with--are a very unsure bunch. They don't know exactly what they want and are ultimately looking for a telepath and magician to read their minds and magically make their projects happen all at very little cost to them. Their expectations are unrealistic--"I only want to pay 100 dollars or less to have my book edited"--and I find that I have been PAYING Thumbtack for the honor of EDUCATING people on what they really need and are looking for. It's a waste of everyone's time and MY money. I may have to soon accept that TT may not be a great fit for me and my business.