Highlighted

Helping fellow music educators in times of COVID19

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hi everyone,

When New York City closed schools due to the COVID19 pandemic back in March, I took it as a sign and decided to leave the city and head to Singapore to spend time with my family.

I shifted all my students online and told the teachers under me to do the same. I'm the founder of a small music school called The Music Box NY. Pre-COVID19, we served about 90 kids in the NYC area. when COVID19 hit, our numbers dropped to 30. Since then, it's slowly climbed back up and we're at about 70+ students strong. Not exactly where we were at before, but it's still progress and I am grateful to have work during this time.

Upon returning to Singapore, the government here decided to close schools as well. My parents, who also run a music school here, panicked. I told them that everything was going to be alright because I had a head start with teaching virtually, and helped train their 20 or so employees on how to teach music online - specifically, piano. Before I knew it, I had unknowingly created a 59-page document about how to teach music virtually using various tools, apps and programs available.

Thus, this "Teaching Music Online" manual was born.

I realized how much this could benefit everyone - not just people I knew, but everyone around the world. I've been giving this manual away for free and am continuing to do so, because I realized how many people were afraid of this transition. This new normal is something we all have to get used to, and we need to change and adapt with times in order to survive.

So if you are a fellow music educator and struggling to teach online, or you are unsure how to, or if you're already seasoned and want to improve your setup, here's the download link: https://www.themusicboxny.com/free-download

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you need help getting set up. In this time of crisis, we need to elevate each other and continue to provide the best education possible to our students.

All the best and stay safe and healthy.

Best,

Ms Tammy

P.s. If you have suggestions or improvements, please comment and let me know! I've already started working on an update to include more resources!

0 Likes