Highlighted

Meet musician and teacher, Matt Kass.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
Best Answer

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 5.00.18 PM.png

Matt Kass is a musician and teacher based in Nashville, Tennessee. Here’s how he rebuilt his business after moving across the country, as told to Thumbtack.  

I’ve been teaching music for around 13 years and I come from a long line of music educators. My grandmother was a concert pianist in New York City, as well as a music professor, and my great grandfather also taught music. In my twenties I was travelling with my band, and when we weren’t on tour I would teach. As a musician, you never know where your next paycheck is coming from and nothing is guaranteed. When I settled down in New York, I started teaching regularly (between studio sessions) and found a level of stability that I’d never really had before.

In 2015, I moved to Nashville and back to square one — not to mention that the music teacher market in Nashville is flooded. There are so many musicians here and so many people who think they can teach because they play, but being able to facilitate and being an educator is not necessarily the same thing. Teaching is as much about the information as it is the way you present that information. It’s about knowing how to read each student, understanding what they’re capable of and working at a pace that’s comfortable for them.

Today I’m busier than ever. And because I control my schedule, I still have time to produce and play. It’s the perfect arrangement.

Tell your self-made story or share your thoughts in the comments below.