Highlighted

Pro Highlights - August 2020

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

In our work on the Pro Engagement team we have the opportunity to meet and learn about amazing pros across the country. We hear incredible stories of resilience, creativity, and community.

We’d like to start sharing some of these stories with you. We hope you’ll be as inspired as we are.

• An L, a Boston area photographer, shared how she has been able to give back to her community during this difficult time. After virtually all of her upcoming bookings were cancelled she joined forces with the Front Steps Project - a non profit group of photographers nationwide, who took socially distanced photos of families on the front steps of their homes. She did the photos for free, and asked clients to donate to the cause. With the funds she raised she was able to help dozens of local businesses in her town - with cash donations, equipment, or doing things like purchasing nearly 100 meals for first responders from a locally owned restaurant.
  • After 23 years in management at a large corporation, Barbara H was unexpectedly let go. But she didn’t let it get her down. At 51 years old she turned a lifelong passion into a livelihood. She started Bar51 (clever name, right?!), and three years later it is one of the DMV area’s best mobile bartending services. She shares that it’s about more than making drinks, “It’s a great attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond that makes us successful.”
  • Orville D, a  junk removal pro in Massapequa, NY started his company one year ago, with his wife as his business partner. They won a business plan writing competition while getting their bachelors’ degrees, and with that took off running. But, Orville grew up in the industry. He was born on a junkyard, and spent most of his life working alongside his father, who fell ill 10 years ago. He shares, “I am able to honor my father while making a living for myself and my family.” He is motivated by the birth of his first child earlier this year. In their first year on Thumbtack they have been hired 79 times, have a 5-star rating, and recently became Top Pro!
  • Patryk Gawlak, a commercial cleaning pro and our Phoenix area TackMaster was hit hard by the pandemic, as they worked primarily in vacation rentals. His strong work ethic and spirit of resiliency kept him going. They began to focus on apartment complexes and commercial cleanings, to help residents and businesses feel safe as they reopened. He also made himself available to other industry pros in his area to help them feel supported, share tips and tricks, and keep up to date on industry best practices. He shares, "It's been a pretty crazy 2020 all around. I want to help pros connect with others and talk about the highs and lows we've experienced over these last few months."

If you’d like to share your story or connect with these pros, please comment on this thread. We’d love to hear from you.

(@AnOriginal, @BAR51@patrykkg)

replies
Highlighted

Re: Pro Highlights - August 2020

TackMaster
TackMaster
Best Answer
Thank you for the mention Dusti! You know we're always happy to share what's working for us, as well what hasn't been so great - in hopes of helping other business owners around us. Thank you for all you guys do through the Thumbtack platform!

Really blown away by Barbara's story above! Judging by her profile, it looks like she's doing an incredible job with her new business!
Highlighted

Re: Pro Highlights - August 2020

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
@patrykkg YES! I am blown away by pro stories all. the. time. Yours included! Thank you for all that you do to build up this community.
0 Likes