Highlighted

Too old to be a professor? Teach golf.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
Best Answer

Kenneth Vaughn is a former restaurant industry executive turned academic who is now a full-time golf instructor. Learn how he’s hitting all his business shots at age 75.

I graduated college at age 71 with a 4.0 and a PhD in American Political History. I wanted to be a professor. But after a year and applying to 32 teaching positions without getting any interviews, I realized that my age might be an obstacle to getting a professorship. So I sat down with a piece of paper and listed out my strengths.

I have a passion to teach.

I have always been athletically gifted.

I love the game of golf.

I went with my assets and passion. I’m 75. I was the Vice President of Operations and Training for several major restaurant chains. I was one of the founders of the Spaghetti Warehouse. Now I teach. I had always enjoyed playing golf but never thought about doing it professionally. But when you live to be 75, you end up doing a lot.

puolndfqk38484g_750x500.jpg

replies
Highlighted

Re: Too old to be a professor? Teach golf.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

What a cool story!

Highlighted

Re: Too old to be a professor? Teach golf.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I'm 71 years old and I'm also very active in many areas of life.  You're never too old to do fun and interesting things until you die.  Then, you're finally too old.